Pages:
Author

Topic: Lightning Network subforum proposal. - page 2. (Read 737 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
June 18, 2021, 04:09:08 AM
I think this applies:
Unless a subset of possible board topics is dominating the front page (+50% of topics on the front page belong to said subset), it's highly unlikely that it'll have a sub-section created for it.
In this particular case, there is a problem with that. Most of the LN discussions are centralized in just a few threads that are starting to look like spam mega-threads although they aren't. We can't know how many users would create new discussions in a brand-new LN sub because most users post in the handful of LN threads already available. The users who take part in the Development & Technical Discussions aren't really the type who will create threads in the wrong places. And newbies don't go there that often unless they are asking for help. I think those are also reasons why we don't see new threads about LN issues being created all over the place.

It is worthwhile to grasp one truth for a long time. On this version of the forum, no updates or new sections have been added for a long time. And they won't.
Actually, the Croatian local forum was re-organized last year. We only had a ANN and Marketplace sub before. But proposals were made and the admins were contacted to make changes. We voted and made our forum better. We now have a main bitcoin section, an off-topic sub, a marketplace, and an altcoins board with its child board ANN announcements.    
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
June 17, 2021, 05:47:03 PM
AFAIK, creating boards about demand and not technology or the extent of its use outside the forum.

What about the Mycelium board then?

If you want to have a subforum here, contribute to the increase in the number of topics and discussions that talk about the Lightning Network. Over time, the topics will increase and a dedicated section will be created.

I have been already doing it for 3 years! Take a look at the FAQ thread (there is also a non-self-moderated version). Both have 49 pages in total which could make up quite a lot of separate threads.

If a person does not know how to use the forum, then allocating a subforum will not make a difference to him, as he will either use the search feature or Google, or he will ask his question and the mods will move it to the appropriate section.
if he knows how to use the forum, adding a new section only means more spams.

Still, those topics could be moved to the Lightning section where they could be answered by more people. Right now, I am using ninjastic.space to keep track of new threads and I sometimes miss some of them. I am afraid that some users might get too frustrated if they don't get an answer, and they might give up on the LN.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
June 17, 2021, 02:56:37 PM
AFAIK, creating boards about demand and not technology or the extent of its use outside the forum.
If you want to have a subforum here, contribute to the increase in the number of topics and discussions that talk about the Lightning Network. Over time, the topics will increase and a dedicated section will be created.
Frankly, I do not see any benefit in it. If a person does not know how to use the forum, then allocating a subforum will not make a difference to him, as he will either use the search feature or Google, or he will ask his question and the mods will move it to the appropriate section.
if he knows how to use the forum, adding a new section only means more spams.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
June 17, 2021, 08:22:42 AM
Look, I get that you want your local board, but you should acknowledge that the existence of a subforum requires at least one moderator. In order for theymos to create a board for Bengali, it means that someone who is familiar or lives in that country must be in charge of its moderation.
Sorry for hijacking your thread. This will be my last post regarding this as I don't want to bring off-topic here anymore.
Local boards without moderators-
India
Japanese
Croatia
Korea
Hebrew
And some more.
Still this board have enough activity. It also works without moderator.
I can't deny the fact that board for LN is important. But before that, having local boards are more important.

Once again sorry for hijacking your thread. It’s getting off-topic.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
June 17, 2021, 08:12:20 AM
Theymos isn’t even considering adding a local board for Bengali.
Look, I get that you want your local board, but you should acknowledge that the existence of a subforum requires at least one moderator. In order for theymos to create a board for Bengali, it means that someone who is familiar or lives in that country must be in charge of its moderation.

But, adding a lightning network subforum doesn't require that; moderators of the development board or @Rath_ who has clarified lots of things for LN could moderate it properly.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
June 17, 2021, 08:04:55 AM
You are talking about worldwide adoption. That's fine. I would like to see LN sub board as it would be more easy to catch up the discussion.
But before that, for worldwide adoption, it’s important to have local board for all the nation. In our local single thread, it’s not even possible to discuss things perfectly because it’s too hard to be on topic in a single thread. Theymos isn’t even considering adding a local board for Bengali.
I have seen people time to time post in the thread but due to lack of having perfect discussion, they lost interest posting there.

This also is another worldwide adoption. If you don’t have resources in local language, you can't make people understand why bitcoin is better monetary system, better store of value.

Well, this is bitcoin talk forum, doesn’t mean that admin have to allow every local user to discuss things in their local language.
Activity: 2030
Merit: 356
June 16, 2021, 09:26:31 PM
I think this applies:
Unless a subset of possible board topics is dominating the front page (+50% of topics on the front page belong to said subset), it's highly unlikely that it'll have a sub-section created for it.

When was the last time theymos introduced a new sub board in the forum ? I think its very unlikely to get a sub board for "Lightning Network".
Although i think it will be more convenient if we have a sub board for this so those who need only LN information don't need to browse through rest of the information.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892
June 16, 2021, 04:00:25 PM
IMHO creating this sub board would be a smart move.

Also IMHO I don't think Bitcoin will ever really "take off" from here (granted its already had an amazing journey) without a healthy shift of tx load onto 2nd layer networks.

Several well-funded coins have already converted their mission into acting as sidechains for Ethereum, and so far its worked well for them.

If Bitcoin wants to keep scaling solutions in-house then a lot more emphasis needs to be placed on LN, which is why fostering additional focus on it isn't such a bad idea.
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 2169
Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator
June 16, 2021, 01:42:46 PM
Since a board exists for a few wallets, so I think Lightning Networks deserve aboard. Most forum users unaware about Lightning networks and how it works. So it would be easier to learn for them from a single board. If a thread creates for Lightning Networks, then it's going down after a few days. Lightning Networks is the most potential for Bitcoin adaption. So the idea isn't bad those are suggesting a board of Lightning Networks.
Activity: 416
Merit: 125
June 16, 2021, 01:38:27 PM
I used to.be resistant to ln network. BUT over time and seeing the scaling issue with more cost. I tend to think we should push LN network a lot.

FOR EXAMPLE  if the San Salvador experiment needs and uses LN successfully BTC will be benefit bigly.

So having a clear way to organize  LN posts and threads is important.

For instance a new miner-node the apollo is being sold.

It is yet to convert to LN node it would be good to have it running the LN node.

Having a section for a thread about that would help.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
June 16, 2021, 01:26:43 PM
As I have already said, I believe that a separate section would help us organise information in a much better way. Right now, you are more likely to get a helpful answer for an LN related question in the FAQ thread rather than anywhere else. I have missed some questions because they were scattered across various boards. It would be much easier to watch a single board.

Two months ago, I posted a list of all Lightning related threads from 2020 and 2021. Here is the updated version.

Bitcoin Discussion: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Development & Technical Discussion: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Wallet Software: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Electrum: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Bitcoin Technical Support: 1, 2, 3
Economy: 1
Beginners & Help: 1, 2
Meta: 1

This list includes topics which mentioned the LN only in the first post. I might have missed some of them. In the two months' time, the FAQ thread increased in size by 5 pages.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
June 16, 2021, 11:42:44 AM
I think this applies:
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
June 16, 2021, 10:29:06 AM
It has been asked before on a number of occasions, and members have given their opinion on it.
Some previous proposals;
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.51363546
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.53333101
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.53744952

My take;
• It's a major trend in Bitcoin and deserves more attention from the forum, so a sub board would b a good idea,
• The current number of threads may not be enough to qualify for a new sub board, although I'm not sure quite how many they are. To create a better proposal, you could collate the most recent topics on it from the different boards, to make it easier for the admins to make a decision and show that people are interested in discussing it.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
June 16, 2021, 10:14:51 AM
I don't know if it's being asked previously, but due to the recent and abrupt usage of the lightning network, I propose to have a different subforum exclusively for it and not just 2-3 general threads that introduce it. It's being seen more seriously now, it ain't just under some early development, a country has adopted it and to be honest, it seems that this is the only way for Bitcoin to survive as a currency and achieve its worldwide adoption.

It could fit perfectly under the “Wallet software” in the “Development & Technical Discussion”.
Pages:
Jump to: