Pages:
Author

Topic: [Lightning] The Lightning Address - page 2. (Read 489 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
August 15, 2021, 11:46:58 AM
just to be clear: this has nothing to do with email! just the known format of an email address is reused, maybe my tldr was badly formulated... sorry about that. edited to make it clearer, i hope

right, but any email supplier can use this API, and will no doubt re-write their terms & conditions so that they can (and their business model involves selling user data already)

this is solving a problem that doesn't exist, and potentially undoing any privacy benefits of Lightning to boot. You can bet the most glitzily advertised, simple, colorful implementation will be surreptitiously funded by some hedge fund, bank and/or government spies.

invoices as QR codes or URI's are just as easy, and it's much easier to retain privacy while using them
Activity: 154
Merit: 177
August 13, 2021, 09:37:49 AM
just to be clear: this has nothing to do with email! just the known format of an email address is reused, maybe my tldr was badly formulated... sorry about that. edited to make it clearer, i hope
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
August 13, 2021, 09:28:45 AM
I realize that there may not be any privacy problems depending on how it's implemented, but I'm still not interested; it's using a creaky centralized system that is otherwise on the way out
Just an observation.

People would sooner or later use centralized solutions or formulated more properly: less decentralized solutions. It is a matter of time until the merchant prefers to receive their sats by only giving an email instead. It'd a benefit for their customers.

If they insist on the decentralized ideology and also want from their users to send sats via email, they could setup their own email server and be at none's dependence.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
August 13, 2021, 09:07:24 AM
I wouldn't use it or promote it.

• email infrastructure has been on the path to centralization for years, it's a cartel now in essence
  • almost everyone uses the monopolists email service

LNURL will probably end up unsupported anyway (lightning devs are coming up with a different standard), so using this protocol means supporting 2 other protocols that are on their way to obsolescence

I realize that there may not be any privacy problems depending on how it's implemented, but I'm still not interested; it's using a creaky centralized system that is otherwise on the way out
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 13, 2021, 07:13:14 AM
Looks interesting, wish I had to time get my lightning nodes back up to see how well it works with a self hosted solution.

Will be interesting to see if it takes off. Since it's open source I don't see it being centralized, there will always be people running it especially businesses, if it never gets popular I can see it having only one or 2 providers.

Unlike a lot of things that have cropped up this one looks like it does have good potential.

-Dave
Activity: 154
Merit: 177
August 13, 2021, 05:26:42 AM
today i saw a new development in the lightning space: https://lightningaddress.com/

tldr: send sats to the known email address format

it is a combination of lnurl and a http server. some people who use letsencrypt might know the .well-known/acme-challenge endpoint to get certificates for your website. lightningaddress uses the .well-known/lnurlp/username endpoint to generate lnurl invoices

i am looking forward to provide such functionality to my friends and family - this is exciting. what do you think?

i am a little bit afraid that it will be centralised like email is today, that is why running your own lightning node seems a good thing to do

Pages:
Jump to: