Pages:
Author

Topic: Likes and dislikes on Bitcointalk? - page 2. (Read 3371 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
April 11, 2017, 08:08:14 PM
I wonder that one of the most used features in forums and communities is not in use on bitcointalk.
It would be nice to vote up good posts and downgrade bad ones.

I think there is a reason why its not esed here - what is it?
What did u say?
No, we don't need a like/dislike button for Bitcointalk. It takes away from people who have to go and actually form their own opinions, and issues that have divided stances (like segwit v BU v core right now) would just end up with people becoming +1 or -1 based entirely on their stance on an issue, and some users would be willing to go and like or dislike all the other posts of a user because of small spats that they have online.

Hell, why would you just want to see a like or dislike on a post? This is a forum, and it's not like you have to be smart. Your trust will speak more about who you are and how you work than just having some likes or dislikes. I can be dumb as a brick but if I can be an effective escrow service and be 100% accurate and efficient with business I do, then that's more important than my likes.
I disagree with the above, and I agree with the suggestion put forth by OP.  I think it would be very useful if this forum had such a function.  All the cool kids are doing it, you know.  Whether it's absolutely essential or not is hard to argue, but it would enhance this community a bit.  I'm surprised to see so much vehement disapproval.
Then you obviously haven't seen just how "effective" this type of feature is on various online forums, now have you?

Look at Reddit. The single best example for this entire system.

If you speak from the narrative, or you don't agree with the popular opinion, you just get downvoted. No explanations, no debates, it's just "No, I'm right, and these internet points prove how much people agree with me, so I'm right", leading to an appeal to popularity and bandwagon logical fallacies.

As for all the cool kids are doing it, that's actually not true anymore. Facebook (and by extension its like feature) is on the decline, and 4Chan (despite the cesspool of bullshit, thanks to being entirely free-speech-based and every posts existing on its merit alone) is on the rise, however it will never get as big as Facebook for obvious reasons. Snapchat doesn't have a like or dislike feature, but that's the new cool thing.

Like/dislike functions take away from legitimate discussion. If people can just say "I don't like what you think, here's a -1" and never be required to explain why, that's what it becomes. Hell, just look at reddit's /r/politics if you want to see this in play. If you don't agree with the narrative, expect hundreds of downvotes, but only maybe a half-dozen individual responses.

There is no enhancement beyond people declaring "look at how many likes I have" and just becomes another extension of attention whorishness. All it means is that more people agree with them, regardless if they're right or wrong. It's an appeal to popularity, and will make users believe that they are better than other users much like how the quantity of Facebook friends would inflate egos just under a decade ago.

Going back to what I said in my earlier post, there are many instances on this forum where I have seen two users get pissy at each other for something that happened in another thread. Like/dislike buttons can lead to just serial dislikes easily. Again, see reddit as an example for this.

TL;DR It inflates egos, does not enhance anything beyond making it easier to appeal to popularity, and takes away from discussion and debate by simplifying discussions into "no, I don't like that. -1" while there are more complexities to be had.
Activity: 116
Merit: 100
April 11, 2017, 07:48:29 PM
I wonder that one of the most used features in forums and communities is not in use on bitcointalk.

What did u say?
No, we don't need a like/dislike button for Bitcointalk. It takes away from people who have to go and actually form their own opinions, and issues that have divided stances (like segwit v BU v core right now) would just end up with people becoming +1 or -1 based entirely on their stance on an issue, and some users would be willing to go and like or dislike all the other posts of a user because of small spats that they have online.

Hell, why would you just want to see a like or dislike on a post? This is a forum, and it's not like you have to be smart. Your trust will speak more about who you are and how you work than just having some likes or dislikes. I can be dumb as a brick but if I can be an effective escrow service and be 100% accurate and efficient with business I do, then that's more important than my likes.
I definitely agree with you that there shouldn't be a like or dislike button. This would just deter people from posting their own opinions and instead just copy the more popular responses. Instead, I think that we should just have an up-vote button. This would mean that the more well thought out responses would be at the top of the topic and the more spammy posts would be at the bottom so that people wouldn't have to read them. No down-vote button should be implemented.
agreed, but we dont need both button though
Activity: 1190
Merit: 306
April 11, 2017, 07:47:59 PM

What did u say?

I disagree with the above, and I agree with the suggestion put forth by OP.  I think it would be very useful if this forum had such a function.  All the cool kids are doing it, you know.  Whether it's absolutely essential or not is hard to argue, but it would enhance this community a bit.  I'm surprised to see so much vehement disapproval.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
April 11, 2017, 07:47:11 PM
We have new forum software that will do all of that for you and more. It should be ready any day now. LOL
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
April 11, 2017, 07:36:38 PM

What did u say?

I definitely agree with you that there shouldn't be a like or dislike button. This would just deter people from posting their own opinions and instead just copy the more popular responses. Instead, I think that we should just have an up-vote button. This would mean that the more well thought out responses would be at the top of the topic and the more spammy posts would be at the bottom so that people wouldn't have to read them. No down-vote button should be implemented.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 525
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
April 11, 2017, 07:28:28 PM

What did u say?

I already tought about it once and I think it's a nice idea. Sometimes you don't have what to write, what to say, but you would like to agree with someone or thanks someone, so you don't need to post only a "thank you so much", you can have a button that replaces it.

I believe nobody here leads their own opinion based on others likes and dislikes. It's not because I saw a post with 200 dislikes that I will disagree with the post content, vice versa.

I just think this thread should be posted on Meta section, as discussions about forum itself are done there.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 268
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
April 11, 2017, 07:27:39 PM
Thumbs up for site's activity algorithm, this prevent someone from becoming Legendary level in no time.

Thumbs down for site's appearance, no logo, no customization, no social media accounts.

I do like the activity algorithm to but this is easily counter by buying an account so thumbs down on allowing account sales.  I also like the segregation of topic specially in marketplace.  It makes the section easy to browse and find a specific goods we are interested with.  I like the reputation thing but dislike those who abuse it,
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
April 11, 2017, 07:22:39 PM

What did u say?

Activity: 1386
Merit: 255
April 11, 2017, 07:00:26 PM
Thumbs up for site's activity algorithm, this prevent someone from becoming Legendary level in no time.

Thumbs down for site's appearance, no logo, no customization, no social media accounts.
Activity: 448
Merit: 252
April 11, 2017, 06:23:09 PM

What did u say?
Pages:
Jump to: