Pages:
Author

Topic: Linux: is wine a potential threat for our BTCs? - page 2. (Read 342 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1954
I've tried to do some research on the internet, but I can't find anything recent/precise (I found some Reddit topics but no answer had a sourced answer)

I don't use wine myself, but someone around me told me he's using it (on Linux Mint). This person has a full BTC node on the said computer, as well as Electrum installed.
Do you think wine represents a potential risk for his funds?
Would a malware running on Windows be able to do anything wrong via wine on a Debian-based system (ubuntu, mint etc..)?

I guess that in any case, with the Linux privilege system, you still need to be root or superuser to have the necessary rights for doing most things (so I guess it is supposed be as safe as usual on a linux system?) - but wine doesn't seem sane to me. Bringing "microsoft risks" on a Linux distro seems crazy to me. (Am I being too paranoid?)

No, you are not paranoid.

It would make sense if the user needs to run specific Windows-only software that is crucial for their operations - if there are no viable Linux-native alternatives using Wine might be a rational choice.
But it is difficult to judge without precise information. Electrum and Bitcoin Core are definitely applications that do not rely on Windows.

"Classic" malware  in Wine generally remain within the virtual 'C drive' created by Wine, but they can potentially affect the system through modifications to startup entries and other methods. Especially when they are crafted for that.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
Just don’t keep your funds on your personal computer. I use wine/linux too and never had any problems but I also don’t keep my funds on the same pc which I keep my other data. It is pretty damn hard to run a virus on linux even when you are using wine. If you are worried about wine then just get another cheap computer and use it as a node and don’t install wine there, problem solved. Actually you don’t even want to connect to the internet if you are saving big amounts. The risk is very little but it is not zero. Linux distributions are known for being virus-proof so unless you do something incredibly stupid like installing a virus yourself knowingly, nothing bad will happen.
Activity: 667
Merit: 1529
A better question would be: why use Wine, if for example Bitcoin Core can be directly used on Linux? Even MinGW version of Bitcoin Core is created on Linux (which is quite surprising, if you remember the first version was Windows-only).

Also, if some wallet is Open Source, and is Windows-only, then guess what: it could be built for Linux. So, why use Wine at all, if you can run your wallet natively? (Bitcoin Core works even on Mac)
Activity: 504
Merit: 1065
Crypto Swap Exchange
I've tried to do some research on the internet, but I can't find anything recent/precise (I found some Reddit topics but no answer had a sourced answer)

I don't use wine myself, but someone around me told me he's using it (on Linux Mint). This person has a full BTC node on the said computer, as well as Electrum installed.
Do you think wine represents a potential risk for his funds?
Would a malware running on Windows be able to do anything wrong via wine on a Debian-based system (ubuntu, mint etc..)?

I guess that in any case, with the Linux privilege system, you still need to be root or superuser to have the necessary rights for doing most things (so I guess it is supposed be as safe as usual on a linux system?) - but wine doesn't seem sane to me. Bringing "microsoft risks" on a Linux distro seems crazy to me. (Am I being too paranoid?)
Pages:
Jump to: