Pages:
Author

Topic: [LIST] Bitcoin Seed Backup Tools - page 4. (Read 1025 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
July 21, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
I only ever use paper for my back ups, and I don't feel in the least bit concerned about this. As Lucius points out, paper will obviously perform very poorly when compared to these devices against fire, corrosion, etc. However, assuming that one of these devices is completely safe is incorrect. What if there is an explosion, and your back up is buried under tons of rubble? What if there if a flood or hurricane, and your back up is carried a few thousand meters away? What if it is stolen or otherwise inaccessible to you?

Given that, the only way to be safe is to be redundant. Everyone should be using at least two back ups in separate secure locations. Because I do this, I am unconcerned if I lose one back up due to fire, corrosion, or similar, and so I do not feel the need to use one of these metal devices. Laminated paper in an airtight and watertight container is good enough for me.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
July 21, 2020, 06:05:06 AM
I don't see any backup tool like USB disk, paper and cloud. Are you mean that tool isn't safe as backup tools?, I did back up using paper an as long time ago without any problem, low cost and easy to write without knocking hammer on a plate.

Of course, you can store the seed or private key on a USB stick or on paper/cloud, but OP is showing us only a solution that should be resistant to fire, water, acids and pressure, and metal/steel is used as the base material.

If you were to compare a USB stick or paper wallet with the above, then they have no chance if they are caught in fire or acid, or even water. And when it comes to storing sensitive data in the cloud, it's still the worst solution, even if it's encrypted - what will you do if you lose access to such a service or it loses your data for some reason?
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 2054
July 21, 2020, 12:15:59 AM
when talking about seed this means isn't available for Bitcoin only it could be useful for any cryptocurrency like Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple and etc. because of hardware wallets like Ledger and Trezor available for many cryptocurrencies using 1 seed only.

I don't see any backup tool like USB disk, paper and cloud. Are you mean that tool isn't safe as backup tools?, I did back up using paper an as long time ago without any problem, low cost and easy to write without knocking hammer on a plate.

IMO
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
July 20, 2020, 04:11:43 PM
Jameson Lopp has provided the most in depth and thorough testing of these kind of devices. He tested 30 different devices against a 2000 Fahrenheit flame for 10 minutes, 12 hours in a bucket of muriatic acid, and under a 20 ton hydraulic press. You can see the results of his testing here: https://jlopp.github.io/metal-bitcoin-storage-reviews/

Many devices performed very poorly considering their expensive price tag. Generally speaking, the "tiles slotted in to a holder" type devices often resulted in complete data loss. The best devices were ones which involved engraving or stamping the words directly on to the metal plate or device.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
July 20, 2020, 04:00:47 PM

Bitcoin Seed Backup Tools

There are a lot of options for securing your wallet seed, here is a list of some of the options available with a quick feedback of them.

Research Methodology:

• Simplicity is always the best: the more moving parts of the device, the worse in some tests.
  • 304 Stainless Steel is the best.
  • Most devices pass the resistance test but are bad in temperature and wear, so try to reduce the number of moving parts.
  • Devices that can withstand high temperatures are often bad.

Device
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org