Pages:
Author

Topic: ₿ LIST ₿ Compilation of (open-source) BRAINWALLET projects. - page 2. (Read 9480 times)

Activity: 632
Merit: 768
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
Don't forget PortalWallet (A fork of Warpwallet that adds BIP39 mnemonic generation)

https://github.com/Logicwax/PortalWallet
I'm gonna take a look at it.

Thanks for your contribution!
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Don't forget PortalWallet (A fork of Warpwallet that adds BIP39 mnemonic generation)

https://github.com/Logicwax/PortalWallet

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #1 of year 2017.

Addition of related project Stegoseed: Steganography + BIP39 seeds.

List updated and scores refreshed by now.

Read OP for detailed info.

Enjoy the little pieces of art!
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #4 of year 2016.

Addition of project BIP39 Tool: an innovative tool compatible with BIP39 rules.

WARNING section has been updated, improved and simplified.

List updated and scores upgraded as well.

Read OP for detailed info.

Enjoy the tools, see you soon!
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #3 of year 2016.

Removed parameter BIP: innovative extra (advanced) features and Improvement Proposals implemented or supported by generator/app;

Calculation has been simplified as consequence.

OfflineAddress.com project removed. It seems to be a dead project. GitHub last commit was over 2 years ago and website domain is no longer related to that project.

New challengers arrived here:

Dash Paper Wallet: offering paper wallet generator (based on bitaddress.org) for DASH users;

Lisk Paper Wallet: offering a simple and beautiful paper wallet generator for Lisk fans.

All scores are fresh to this date!

Read OP for details.

New updates coming soon!
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #2 of year 2016.

New player arrived here:

MyEtherWallet: offering paper wallet (and much more) for Ethereum fans.

All scores updated!

Refer to the OP for detailed info.
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #1 of year 2016.

Added parameter BIP: innovative extra (advanced) features and Improvement Proposals implemented or supported by generator/app;

Calculation method changed as consequence.

New Tools arrived here:

Cointoolkit: offering brainwallet (and much more) for Bitcoin, Nubits, Nushares, Blockshares, Blockcredits and Peercoin;

Moneroaddress.org: offering paper wallet and brainwallet for Monero;

WARNING section updated: included some IMPORTANT information about change addresses. Avoid losses, must read!

ATTENTION:

EthAddress.org removed its brainwallet feature so it was removed from Brainwallet Ranking list too. If you created an ETH brainwallet using that tool before, I suggest that you use previous version(s) of it to swap coins.

"Refreshed" all scores! Refer to the OP for detailed info.

I'm glad to see the development evolution!

Rock On!
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #4 of year 2015.

More GitHub's "metrics" added: number of watchers and # of forks.

Dropped Gitlab out: nobody is gonna use that network anyway...

Ranking calculation and lists have been updated.

Edit:

New generator added: Wallet.Peercointalk.org

Updated website for ethaddress.org project: https://ryepdx.github.io/ethaddress.org
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
You're welcome!

I hope new projects (for both BTC and altcoins with good daily trade volume - such as LTC, ETH etc.) will join the list soon...
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #3 of year 2015.

Brainwallets options/features from multigenerators (Paper wallet + Brainwallet) are now compared against each other and are separated/independent from the Paper wallet option/feature from the same source app: i.e. two lists for two features/options despite which is the main feature of the evaluated generator.

"Inclusive Web Design" (IWD) changes to "Graphical User Interface" (GUI).

Weight (for average purpose) is now 10x for security matters.

Keep up the good work everybody!
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
Good to hear that!

I guess your brainwallet function is the first to offer Argon2 algo as an encryption option.

Congratulations!

I'm gonna update bitgen's info here as soon as I review and test your new brainwallet option.

Keep up the good work!
Activity: 45
Merit: 1
bitgen has been updated with KDF and salt for the brainwallet option:

http://bitcoin-gen.org/

The KDF is "Argon2", which is supposed to be improved compared to scrypt:

https://password-hashing.net/candidates.html

https://www.cryptolux.org/images/0/0d/Argon2.pdf

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
Thanks for putting this together.  It's nice to see brainwallet.io on the list!

I'm surprised to see bitaddress.org ranked so low.  Is theirs not considered true random?
Those distortions have been corrected by using new calculation method.

i.e. Security features are 3x more important than collaborative development (Git points) AND Security features are 6x more important than everything else...

Maybe I'll raise that Security weight even more (to 8x OR even 10x).

Let's see how everything "behaves".
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #2 of year 2015.

The ranking calculation has been simplified.

Brainwallets are now compared only with Brainwallets and the same goes for Paper wallets.

P.s. Although the main feature will be considered (Paper wallet OR Brainwallet) in order to fill the list, warnings may apply when there are security issues found in multigenerators (Paper wallet + Brainwallet).

Multisignature projects have been removed until I find a good way to compare them.

"Client-side" and "Offline Use" criterions were incorporated to "Security".

Added "Inclusive Web Design" (IWD).

Added "Number of cryptocurrencies supported" (CCY).

Weight (for average purpose) is now 6 for security matters.

* Edited:

New "Miscellaneous and related projects" added --> Bitgen; brainflayer; Coinb.in & Multi-signature P2SH

New Paper wallet generators added --> WalletGenerator.net; Liteaddress.org & ethaddress.org
Activity: 105
Merit: 59
Thanks for putting this together.  It's nice to see brainwallet.io on the list!

I'm surprised to see bitaddress.org ranked so low.  Is theirs not considered true random?

It is random (using SJCL). It's penalized for offering classic brainwallet. I'm not sure how much the scoring methodology makes sense.
For example are signatures of signed transactions RFC 6979 complient? Is TOR supported? Are stealth addresses supported? Is bip32 and HD supported? Is op_return working and can that be combined with multisig? are multiple networks accepted? Is the site compatable with other leading sites? Can the site be downloaded and fully run offline, whilst still being able to create and create and sign transactions. Can you create and sign a transaction with the other sites listed or is it purely for address generation? I could go on and on and on.

These are all excellent points.
Activity: 714
Merit: 601
I think you miss understood why coinb.in was created, its primary a learning tool, a way to deal with multisig and build and sign raw transactions, because of this I'd be greatful if you can remove it from this list. I don't see any point in being involved in this discussion as coinb.in is being treated as a brain wallet, when its not! its much more than that and your scoring system doesn't take this into account.

For example are signatures of signed transactions RFC 6979 complient? Is TOR supported? Are stealth addresses supported? Is bip32/HD supported? Is op_return working and can that be combined with multisig? are multiple networks accepted? Is the site compatable with other leading sites? Can the site be downloaded and fully run offline, whilst still being able to create and sign transactions. Further more can you even create and sign a transaction with the other sites listed or is it purely for address generation? as i beleive all the sites listed except coinb.in have no way to actually build a transaction and spend the funds. I could go on and on and on.

Thanks and good luck.

*edited to fix typos and add a couple of points.
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
UPDATE #1 of year 2015.

The ranking calculation has been changed.

Brainwallets that don't support Salt have been penalized.

Brainwallets that support KDF get different points according to the type implemented.

Multigenerators (Brainwallets, paper wallets and multisig: all-in-one) get weighted so we can compare every generator easily and fairly.

Github numbers are now "square rooted".

New changes may apply soon...

Keep up the good work all developers and programmers!
coinb.in is using the dangerously weak "classic" brainwallet algorithm. It also includes third party javascript which can do whatever it wants. Why is it rated so highly on security?

You realise that bitaddress.org also uses the same brain wallet algorithm as coinb.in, so I'm not sure why its been singled out.

bitaddress.org should also remove the brainwallet option, but it does at least require a minimum of 15 characters and warns about cracking/theft.

That being said, the next version will allow the user to select a bunch of different algorithms.

This is possibly an unpopular opinion, but offering a bunch of security choices that most people don't really understand isn't actually a good thing. What I would suggest is using WarpWallet's scheme with the salt *required* and a strong recommendation that a random passphrase be used (provide a generator). You could also provide a "classic brainwallet" option with a warning that makes it clear that it's very weak and should only be used to sweep old brainwallets.

Also what third party JavaScript? Google analytics? If that actually puts you and others off I'll remove it.

*edit*: removed analytics.

Yes, I was talking about Google Analytics. If I were a bad person and could get one SSL certificate for any site of my choosing, it would be Google Analytics - it's a super high value target because of how widely used it is.

Cloudflare is also a tremendously high value target, but I doubt arguing against it would get very far.
Activity: 714
Merit: 601
coinb.in is using the dangerously weak "classic" brainwallet algorithm. It also includes third party javascript which can do whatever it wants. Why is it rated so highly on security?

You realise that bitaddress.org also uses the same brain wallet algorithm as coinb.in, so I'm not sure why its been singled out. That being said, the next version will allow the user to select a bunch of different algorithms.

Also what third party JavaScript? Google analytics? If that actually puts you and others off I'll remove it.

*edit*: removed analytics.
Pages:
Jump to: