Pages:
Author

Topic: [LIST] Countries that own bitcoin - page 4. (Read 578 times)

legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1054
September 20, 2021, 05:31:33 PM
I know it may seem early to make such a list, but I hope it will be filled up quickly in the coming years.
Today we have the first country to announce that it owns Bitcoin.
If you have information about other countries, add it below.

The list is far larger.

United states have already seized some bitcoins from criminal activities, which they own now. I think that it is also likely other countries are doing the same:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2021/7/30/22600574/cryptocurrency-bitcoin-ethereum-asset-seizure-crimes-bank-storage-password-department-of-justice

his week, a small platform for safekeeping cryptocurrency called Anchorage Digital announced it had won a contract from the Department of Justice to store and liquidate digital assets that federal law enforcement seizes following criminal investigations.

I also found this link from Investopedia, whcih mentions United States, Bulgaria, Sweden and North Korea as hoarding bitcoin.

Bulgaria
The Bulgarian government seized more than 200,000 bitcoins from the results of an organized crime crackdown in May 2017, according to reporting by CoinDesk. The sting resulted in the arrest of 23 Bulgarian nationals and the seizure of bitcoin valued at $3.3 billion at the time. As of late November 2017, the Bulgarian government declined to comment on what would happen with the seized digital currency, indicating that there was an ongoing criminal investigation.

Sweden
The Swedish government made digital currency headlines in the fall of 2017 when it decided to auction off some seized bitcoin as well. The value of the seized assets were significantly smaller than those in the Bulgarian incident, as the Swedish Kronofogden announced plans to sell just 0.6 BTC, worth about $3,200 at the time.

United States
The United States has also taken part in auctions of bitcoin holdings that were seized in criminal investigations. In late 2015, for instance, the U.S. Marshals Service auctioned more than 44,000 BTC which were seized from Silk Road operator Ross Ulbricht. This was the final in a series of auctions for a similar purpose.

North Korea
While the above governments have publicly auctioned bitcoin holdings that were seized from criminal activity, North Korea's government has shown some signs of actually collecting and hoarding BTC.

these are situations where the government seized BTC. they did not buy it but were taken by force because of criminal activity. it's still assets considered theirs now so yes they own coins. the Chinese government must have seized a lot of coins, it is not however reported though. but i suspect this country has confiscated more BTC.

El Salvador will be wealthier if they buy the dip every time, this is like Saylor's strategy.

legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 6089
bitcoindata.science
September 20, 2021, 05:08:35 PM
I know it may seem early to make such a list, but I hope it will be filled up quickly in the coming years.

The list is far larger.

United states have already seized some bitcoins from criminal activities, which they own now. I think that it is also likely other countries are doing the same:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2021/7/30/22600574/cryptocurrency-bitcoin-ethereum-asset-seizure-crimes-bank-storage-password-department-of-justice

his week, a small platform for safekeeping cryptocurrency called Anchorage Digital announced it had won a contract from the Department of Justice to store and liquidate digital assets that federal law enforcement seizes following criminal investigations.

I also found this link from Investopedia, whcih mentions United States, Bulgaria, Sweden and North Korea as hoarding bitcoin.

Bulgaria
The Bulgarian government seized more than 200,000 bitcoins from the results of an organized crime crackdown in May 2017, according to reporting by CoinDesk. The sting resulted in the arrest of 23 Bulgarian nationals and the seizure of bitcoin valued at $3.3 billion at the time. As of late November 2017, the Bulgarian government declined to comment on what would happen with the seized digital currency, indicating that there was an ongoing criminal investigation.

Sweden
The Swedish government made digital currency headlines in the fall of 2017 when it decided to auction off some seized bitcoin as well. The value of the seized assets were significantly smaller than those in the Bulgarian incident, as the Swedish Kronofogden announced plans to sell just 0.6 BTC, worth about $3,200 at the time.

United States
The United States has also taken part in auctions of bitcoin holdings that were seized in criminal investigations. In late 2015, for instance, the U.S. Marshals Service auctioned more than 44,000 BTC which were seized from Silk Road operator Ross Ulbricht. This was the final in a series of auctions for a similar purpose.

North Korea
While the above governments have publicly auctioned bitcoin holdings that were seized from criminal activity, North Korea's government has shown some signs of actually collecting and hoarding BTC.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1873
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 20, 2021, 04:57:46 PM
I may be very wrong but I believe Bulgaria and Ukraine own Bitcoin as well, seized Bitcoins to be specific.  The United States may also own some seized Bitcoins although I believe they auctioned all or most of it long time ago.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1270
Play Poker on Telegram
September 20, 2021, 03:48:05 PM
I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but I think this list will take ages to get filled up, it may even take quite long to add another country to the list, this is not cause Bitcoin is not a great currency/investment option, but just basically cause governments cannot control it, thus they'll definitely be reluctant to take the path that El Salvador has taken, in the past few weeks, some government officials from other countries have openly criticized El Salvador's decision, it just goes to show what the rest of the world thinks about it.

Having said that, I expect Bitcoins rapid growth to continue, with or without governments acceptance/adoption, the thing remains that their level of control over the network remains essentially limited, thus they seek to do so through centralized exchanges and other centralized services crypto users submit their data to before using their service, I do hope that somewhere down the line, governments look beyond their quest for control and accept Bitcoin as a change/good alternative to their monotonous traditional financial system.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1288
September 20, 2021, 03:36:50 PM

|. Name .............................................|...... Amount ...................|...... Source ......|
|El Salvador|.......700 BTC|...Click here|
||||
||||
||||

Change Log
Code:
Pages:
Jump to: