Pages:
Author

Topic: List of bitcoin hostile banks. [edit] New thread see first line. - page 4. (Read 30723 times)

legendary
Activity: 1357
Merit: 1004
We need to open the bank where would a Bitcoin vendors. It only takes three million dollars to open a bank in Panama.
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1078
A number of banks in the Uk have not been kind to bitcoin related businesses.
  • Barclays Bank prevented MtGox, Intersango and Blockchain.info from accepting GBP.
  • Metro Bank - Intersango used them for a while
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
There was a similar cataloguing effort on Reddit a week ago, whence you might source some more institutions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1cm9le/list_of_banks_that_dont_want_bitcoin_to_succeed/

Thank you, but the fisrst thing I checked about the list does not seem up to speed, according to bitcoin24 "The prosecutor office of Berlin has confiscated the account of BTC24 at the Commerzbank." Imho this does not justyfy outting Commerzbank on the list.

I will work my way trough the rests when I get back from work.
Activity: 854
Well, shit.  I have TD in the USA.  They're technically different companies though, so does that count as bad?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Bitfloor was closed down by bank of america.

Not true. Bitfloor's funds were kept in a Chase bank account.

Bank of America was just a venue for deposits made through a third party. (LocalTill)
Activity: 21
If OP decides to add "friendly" list:

I used Lloyds TSB in UK to do multiple transfers to mtgox.
Usually takes 3-4 working days.

As a side note - there is something very dodgy with Lloyds TSB fee calculation.

Transfer itself costs £20. On top of that you get charged <£10 at the other end.
The dodgy part is that sometimes they add ~£100 charge(this depends on the size of tx) - happened on 2 out of 5 transfers.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
Great idea, will be nice to also add to wiki's once a more complete list is formalised.

I do have a bitcoin project or two in the works (Slowly) which would require cooperation from banks, so knowing which ones could dislike bitcoin in general would help in choosing which one to go for.
Activity: 21
May I suggest compiling a list of "friendly" banks along side?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Bitfloor was closed down by bank of america.
Activity: 826
Is there concern over just the Canadian side of TD? or TD Bank, N.A. (USA subsidary) as well?

edit: The article is linking to the TD Bank (american) website, which will probably just cause confusion.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
I will close my TD account this week citing their unwarranted hostility towards Bitcoin as the reason.

just empty the account and leave it. Assholes at TD try to charge you 60$ to close account.
Activity: 12
I will close my TD account this week citing their unwarranted hostility towards Bitcoin as the reason.

Damnit TD, you've been so good to me until now. I may have to end up doing the same.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
Royal Bank Canada and TD bank in Canada are two banks I used to do business, years ago. Both offered such miserable service (high fees, surley staff, at the very least 20 min. lineups) that i quit both and found infinitely better service at BMO (bank of montreal) I rarely wait more than 5 min. in line, the staff is friendly and eager to please, their fees are minimal. After moving to BMO I cannot believe ANYONE would do business with the other losers. TD even told me, when I removed all my money from them and asked them to close my account, that there is a SIXTY DOLLAR FEE TO CLOSE ACCOUNT! WTF?Huh? I simply left 3 cents in the account and abandoned it. I guess TD sees this as a 3 cent win, but they will NEVER get the slightest endorsement from me, to the extent that when doing business with clients that use TD I recommend they switch. Absolutely one of the worst financial institutions ever. The only reason I can think that anyone still goes there is; some people WANT their bank to lord it over them and treat them like dirt because it makes them feel secure, or something.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
There was a similar cataloguing effort on Reddit a week ago, whence you might source some more institutions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1cm9le/list_of_banks_that_dont_want_bitcoin_to_succeed/

copying the list over there to safe you people one click:

Commerzbank (shut down bitcoin24 account)
Capital One (shut down bitfloor account)
Metro Bank (shut down intersango account)
Barclays (shut down mt gox UK account)
Banco do Brasil (shut down mercado bitcoin account)

Ente
donator
Activity: 213

Activity: 141
Payment processors in Finland are very hostile to Bitcoin but that is only because the banks have declined to allow the instant payments related to Bitcoin purchases. Thus far at least.

For regular SEPA transfers and basic banking activities, no Finnish bank has shown any hostility. We run the biggest Finnish exchange and use 3 Finnish banks, no problems so far.

We've recently made new attempts to get the instant payment buttons to our exchange because that would increase convenience quite a bit, let's see how it goes.

I make my cut from the delays of the banks (and Technomage's service). People don't object paying 10-15% over gox if they can get it now.

None of the banks I use has given a fook, whether the business is related to bitcoin or not. I am entertaining the thought that banks, accountants, taxmen etc. just all get infused with bitcoin in such an early stage of the rise (such as now), that they will quit their jobs en masse and there will be no one left to tax us after a few months  Grin
I dare you to start operating a live online bitcoin/fiat exchange. Seriously, you propably have most if not all the required resources at your disposal and it'd eventually free up more of your precious time, not having to talk to two or three customers a day ; ) You'd prolly end up making more pocket change in the process.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Payment processors in Finland are very hostile to Bitcoin but that is only because the banks have declined to allow the instant payments related to Bitcoin purchases. Thus far at least.

For regular SEPA transfers and basic banking activities, no Finnish bank has shown any hostility. We run the biggest Finnish exchange and use 3 Finnish banks, no problems so far.

We've recently made new attempts to get the instant payment buttons to our exchange because that would increase convenience quite a bit, let's see how it goes.

I make my cut from the delays of the banks (and Technomage's service). People don't object paying 10-15% over gox if they can get it now.

None of the banks I use has given a fook, whether the business is related to bitcoin or not. I am entertaining the thought that banks, accountants, taxmen etc. just all get infused with bitcoin in such an early stage of the rise (such as now), that they will quit their jobs en masse and there will be no one left to tax us after a few months  Grin
I will do my best to avoid doing buisness with any of there customers.

Huh  Huh
Trying to set an example, hoping others will follow. My main point here is to show that this is and will be a major concern when selecting banks.
[edit] Consider it something similiar to what the gay movement did way back by stamping cash with the pink tringle that nazi Germany assigned them dcades earlyer during the second world war.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

Pages:
Jump to: