Pages:
Author

Topic: List of Major Bitcoin Heists, Thefts, Hacks, Scams, and Losses - page 7. (Read 87462 times)

legendary
Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001
amazing work by op

any whales floating by should send him a btc tip for his hard work and dilligence imo
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
Thanks to everyone who has mentioned something. I am aware that coverage of 2014 is very incomplete, and hope to expand it soon. Once the Bitstamp incident becomes more clear I will put up an update including it at least.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I was out the loop for about a month and a half.

Wow, did not realize Mintpal had gone the scam route as well.  Amazing.  I thought they were the one and only true trustable exchange since they had info and not an anonymous server domain registration.

But I guess that doesn't matter?
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049
good list, thanks for updating.

(unfortunately the Paycoin / Paybase Scam is excluded Embarrassed )

PB mining and hashie scams are excluded as well...
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
There's some Bitstamp drama right now. In particular this address seems to contain stolen coins.

https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

Updating with some additional information to the blockchain address
http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/05/bitstamp-bitcoin-exchange-hack/

Bitstamp customers can rest assured that their bitcoins held with us as prior to temporary suspension of services on January 5th (at 9am UTC) are completely safe and will be honored in full.

On January 4th, some of Bitstamp’s operational wallets were compromised, resulting in a loss of less than 19,000 BTC. Upon learning of the breach, we immediately notified all customers that they should no longer make deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. As an additional security measure, we suspended our systems while we fully investigate the incident and actively engage with law enforcement officials.

As an aside it makes the top 3 (Not the best start to 2015)
I think it is still too early to call this hack to be over. When bitstamp reopens, it is possible the size of the hack could be extended when they refill their hot wallet and/or the process of having to tap funds from cold storage multiple times.

it's too early becouse we don't have our money back yet. Really hope that list on first post don't need to be updated with this Sad
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010
In Satoshi I Trust
good list, thanks for updating.

(unfortunately the Paycoin / Paybase Scam is excluded Embarrassed )
Activity: 364
I'm really quite sane!
There's some Bitstamp drama right now. In particular this address seems to contain stolen coins.

Bitstamp customers can rest assured that their bitcoins held with us as prior to temporary suspension of services on January 5th (at 9am UTC) are completely safe and will be honored in full.

On January 4th, some of Bitstamp’s operational wallets were compromised, resulting in a loss of less than 19,000 BTC. Upon learning of the breach, we immediately notified all customers that they should no longer make deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. As an additional security measure, we suspended our systems while we fully investigate the incident and actively engage with law enforcement officials.

I think it is still too early to call this hack to be over. When bitstamp reopens, it is possible the size of the hack could be extended when they refill their hot wallet and/or the process of having to tap funds from cold storage multiple times.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10
It's a very useful resource for noobs, thanks!
legendary

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
What about the two relatively recent dice sites that absconded with investor dunds, Dice Ninja and Dice Bitcoin?

Surprised they aren't here, because they seem to meet the criteria for inclusion. Anyway, great record OP.

Thanks, noted. They may show up in one of the next updates, which will hopefully not take too long.
I would say that the amount stolen from dicebit.co is difficult to quantify as the ability to verify others' bets was quickly disabled and the amount taken from investors' funds would have been duliated because of the fact they likely invested their own funds in the bankroll.

Also there is not 100% evidence that they actually scammed, although the evidence against them is very strong
legendary
What about the two relatively recent dice sites that absconded with investor dunds, Dice Ninja and Dice Bitcoin?

Surprised they aren't here, because they seem to meet the criteria for inclusion. Anyway, great record OP.

Thanks, noted. They may show up in one of the next updates, which will hopefully not take too long.
Activity: 75
Merit: 10

legendary
BASIC-MINING and MintPal have been added. Preliminary estimates for the Mt. Gox loss are up too. I'm still behind on the backlog though; hopefully I can get a few more updates in before my schedule tightens up again.

Huobi has been in the news. I'm not sure if this is an actual theft or a misunderstanding. Can any Chinese users help clear this up?

I also plan to move from January 2014 BTC to a more recent benchmark, probably July 2014 BTC (this is better psychologically, since many of us don't remember what the price was in January). This will hopefully go smoothly.
Activity: 119
Merit: 100
Id like to know the fate of the sr2 coins too. My guess is the admin learnt enough from the past failures of others to hide and store them better.
Reports say that the FBI had infiltrated his site a year ago.  Now guess again.  Grin
The FBI (I think it was actually homeland security, but this is not the point) was able to get an undercover officer to become a moderator/staff member of the forum of SR2 but I don't think he was able to control any of the actual funds (although the number of "hacks" that SR2 had may be an indication that he did have access to the coins.

I do agree that Blake certainly did not learn any lessons from the downfall of SR1 as he made much worse mistakes
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
Id like to know the fate of the sr2 coins too. My guess is the admin learnt enough from the past failures of others to hide and store them better.
Reports say that the FBI had infiltrated his site a year ago.  Now guess again.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
mining is so 2012-2013
Id like to know the fate of the sr2 coins too.

My guess is the admin learnt enough from the past failures of others to hide and store them better.
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
I haven't seen any specific numbers as of how much bitcoin was seized as part of the SR2 seizure however it would probably make the list.

Also SR2 was apparently hacked late this summer to the tune of 1,600 BTC which had previously been unreported (AFAIK)
Activity: 308
CEO FlawMiners TM®
One of the best reads on bitcointalk. Thanks for updating it and it should be a must read for all newbs.
Pages:
Jump to: