Pages:
Author

Topic: Litecoin FPGA! - page 3. (Read 10881 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
May 14, 2013, 11:31:04 AM
2-3 months for them to start thinking about making litecoin FPGA, then how long will it take for them to actually make a prototype? Soon as in BFL "soon"?

I don't know, probably not very long. They don't need to make a prototype, they already build FPGA modules and have lots of FPGA products. Nothing would need to be custom built for LTC, they would simply program it.
it is not "just needs to be programmed". Scrypt FPGA are physically different from sha FPGAs (or else you wouldn't even need enterpoint, just a programmer).

I don't think you understand what a FPGA is, FPGA's are reprogrammable logic arrays. They can be programmed to perform any particular task. They are like rewriteable ASICS.

Scrypt is just an algorithm, any general purpose computational device of sufficient power can be programmed to handle it. There are no "physical" requirements or differences between a FPGA that solves Scrypt or one that solves SHA.

As for additional ram, they have PCI-E mounted boards meaning you could just use the host machines memory. 

now we are getting into hyperbole.  can you make an FPGA for scrypt, yes.  Would you pay $300 for a unit that gets 100kHs, no.  It'sn not if it can but if anyone really woudl use them and if the cost to develop woudl return a profit.

Using system RAM is like flying to Idaho because you want french fries.  Or paris to buy a bottle of wine.  Why would you when there are places much closer that can get it for your faster and cheaper.  That is what GPUs were designed for.  They are built with ASICs that directly access high bandwidth DDR.  The demand for these boards is so high that they can make them in huge volume and keep costs down.  You wan tot reinvent the wheel.

Now it is possible to build an FPGA for scrypt mining.  But it wont use system RAM or DDR. I've seen the prototype in a demonstration with a scrypt like algorithm on an Altera board.  But the cost puts it on par with a GPU.  But it is an undertaking and to hire a team of developers and build them out makes the profit marginal.  Now with LTC less profitable than BTC to mine and with the low market cap of the market is it really worth it?
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
May 14, 2013, 11:07:01 AM
2-3 months for them to start thinking about making litecoin FPGA, then how long will it take for them to actually make a prototype? Soon as in BFL "soon"?

I don't know, probably not very long. They don't need to make a prototype, they already build FPGA modules and have lots of FPGA products. Nothing would need to be custom built for LTC, they would simply program it.
it is not "just needs to be programmed". Scrypt FPGA are physically different from sha FPGAs (or else you wouldn't even need enterpoint, just a programmer).

I don't think you understand what a FPGA is, FPGA's are reprogrammable logic arrays. They can be programmed to perform any particular task. They are like rewriteable ASICS.

Scrypt is just an algorithm, any general purpose computational device of sufficient power can be programmed to handle it. There are no "physical" requirements or differences between a FPGA that solves Scrypt or one that solves SHA.

As for additional ram, they have PCI-E mounted boards meaning you could just use the host machines memory. 
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
May 14, 2013, 10:59:40 AM

Actually, crazy rabbit is correct you could use the same hardware, just needs to be programmed.  Several people have already produced some, but the hash rates achieved don't match a single GPU card.

But they build stuff like this already:

Yes that is 100 FPGA's on one board.

Im pretty confident in them!

As for the custom board thing. It probably would due to RAM interfacing, although one of their prototyping boards is probably ideal for this.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
May 14, 2013, 10:50:54 AM

Actually, crazy rabbit is correct you could use the same hardware, just needs to be programmed.  Several people have already produced some, but the hash rates achieved don't match a single GPU card.
Activity: 658
May 14, 2013, 10:38:49 AM

Activity: 714
May 14, 2013, 10:35:30 AM

DO they have any modules that have high amounts of SRAM or QDR?  If not then its not going to happen.
legendary
May 14, 2013, 10:30:40 AM

Activity: 175
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
May 14, 2013, 10:26:52 AM

Activity: 560
Minds are like parachutes they work best when open
May 14, 2013, 10:04:24 AM
What do you mean? Prices change its not a problem, ltc has got so much more left in it

I've spoken with http://enterpoint.co.uk/, and they have said they are thinking about developing a LTC FPGA miner. They mentioned that they won't start on it for another 2 or 3 months, but I suppose if the community were to give them input that there is indeed a market for this, they might start earlier. It would also be an advantage to have an established ASIC and FPGA producer with experience in developing a scrypt Miner.

So if you want a professional Litecoin FPGA (or perhaps even on day ASIC!) miner, drop their support a line to let them know the community will support them!

[email protected]

way things are going I hope mining LTC will still be worth it:(
Activity: 1050
Merit: 254
May 14, 2013, 10:02:56 AM
I've spoken with http://enterpoint.co.uk/, and they have said they are thinking about developing a LTC FPGA miner. They mentioned that they won't start on it for another 2 or 3 months, but I suppose if the community were to give them input that there is indeed a market for this, they might start earlier. It would also be an advantage to have an established ASIC and FPGA producer with experience in developing a scrypt Miner.

So if you want a professional Litecoin FPGA (or perhaps even on day ASIC!) miner, drop their support a line to let them know the community will support them!

[email protected]

way things are going I hope mining LTC will still be worth it:(
legendary
May 14, 2013, 07:04:01 AM

[email protected]

Pages:
Jump to: