Pages:
Author

Topic: Litecoin is a ponzi, a pyramid and a pump and dump scheme and crap, too - page 3. (Read 7808 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Reality is stranger than fiction
LiteCoin definately is not crap. It's the coin of the future. Based on BitCoin, it has taken the whole thing one step further.

Don't believe it? Try it yourself.

Coin of the future eh?

Can you list the core Litecoin developers along with some of their recent commits. Thanks

Don't worry, if any updates are needed to the source, they will be done properly. We will find a way.
I have heard that the code has not been updated for 8 months, but I'm not afraid.
Activity: 531
Merit: 501
LiteCoin definately is not crap. It's the coin of the future. Based on BitCoin, it has taken the whole thing one step further.

Coin of the future eh?

Can you list the core Litecoin developers along with some of their recent commits. Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1708
Reality is stranger than fiction

Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Litecoin is a ponzi, a pyramid and a pump and dump scheme and crap, too

no, i dont think so...

+1

If true for litecoin then its true for bitcoin.

We have been supporting litecoin for ~9 months and have yet to see anything remotely sinister regarding the coin. 
It is wise to be concerned with the reason price jump to ~70c then back down to a stable-ish 50c but we have faith. and are cautiously optimistic about its future
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Litecoin is like Canadian coins. Why do they bother to mint them?
yes
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Personally I don't see how LiteCoins solve any problem that hasn't already been solved by BitCoins.
Ok, according to this all cryptocoins are redundant, because at large, they are only all the same resolution for a problem what bitcoin has solved already.
Don't you think litecoin have a right to exist only for the simple reason there is another fair cryptocoin with own "ecosystem" beside bitcoin.
I feel better with a second accepted currency. To Example if you a trader, you can speculate without you must use fiat money.

The often repeated 'all the miners will move to litecoins' argument is the emptiest of all as none of the value of BitCoins or LiteCoins exists
because of miners, value exists because of buyers and the network generates coins at the same rate regardless.

nah, that's very ignorant. but we are all agreed that the miners will move to litecoins if asics introduced into the market.
More miner means more people own litecoin, this implies that more people will use litecoins as investment, reserve, to trade or buy goods.
And this is the cornerstone for a flourishing Currency.
I say it again look who was bitcoin similar in time to litecoin. Value need time to grow.

I think a good point for ltc is the lower price in relation to btc, so for interest people in crypto coins is it maybe easier, from the psychological point of view,
to invest a small amount to experiment with crypto currencies. But it is only my opinion.

If you google "litecoin wiki" the first page is the litecoin article from crazy-luke. It's time for a own litecoin wiki.
Apart from this, this Litecoin description foals a bad light to bitcoin, too.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Litecoin is like Canadian coins. Why do they bother to mint them?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Litecoin has a very active dev community via irc at #litecoin-dev on freenode http://webchat.freenode.net/
sd
Activity: 730
Merit: 500
none of the value of BitCoins or LiteCoins exists because of miners, value exists because of buyers and the network generates coins at the same rate regardless.

Good too see you have thought through this carefully and have some well reasoned, carefully constructed arguments.
its always funny when people are so clueless that their supporting arguments actually support the opposing argument.

Things change meaning when taken out of context. That's a poor attack against the points I was making but flattering that I get the same treatment as many of the great thinkers of history.

If you want to sell a mountain ( for the sake or argument ) what's it worth? It's worth exactly what the highest paying buyer wants to buy it for. Unless that mountain has some intrinsic value there is no real pressure for buyers to pay anything for it. Your argument appears to be that if the ownership of the same number of mountains is spread amongst a greater number of people then the mountains are worth more. You either don't get what mining is or you are trolling me.

You can troll all you like but without any active developers LiteCoin is going to face some serious problems sooner or later and when they get more serious then simply copying a patch from BitCoin then LiteCoin could well be sunk. This happened before with I0Coin I think, the blockchain literally froze.

Activity: 658
none of the value of BitCoins or LiteCoins exists because of miners, value exists because of buyers and the network generates coins at the same rate regardless.

Good too see you have thought through this carefully and have some well reasoned, carefully constructed arguments.
its always funny when people are so clueless that their supporting arguments actually support the opposing argument.
Activity: 1036

Activity: 271
Merit: 250
Frankly, I'm surprised Luke-Jr's description of Litecoin is still used on the Bitcoin Wiki...

Also, in my totally-not-biased-at-all opinion, the Devtome wiki page for Litecoin is far more objective and more useful to new members.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Simple: Luke Jr. doesn't want the status quo of there only being 1 strong crypto to change. He is heavily invested and doesnt want to lose his foot hold on the market share he owns.
Activity: 924
I think we can debate this until the cows come home, ultimately the market will decide for itself.

Who knows, while we all stand around comparing crypto dick sizes, a corp could release their own version (with a 'trusted brand name' already in place on the back of a multi million dollar marketing campaign) and a use case that does not leave the average joe confused as hell looking at a long line of random characters not knowing a private key from a wallet.

Interesting. Amazon could do this tomorrow and accept their new currency as payment for all their goods and services. If they let others use it freely it could eclipse BitCoin rather quickly. It could eclipse the GDP of some small nations rather quickly.

Amazon have the computing power, the on-line retail presence, and an aptitude for creative tax solutions. Somehow I doubt they want to be the world central bank.

If only a smart foward thinking amazon of tomorrow would do this rather than wait for an established dotcom... then you might have a winner and breakout in altcoins. Unfortunately I think people will have to build their own rather than expect a miracle.
Activity: 924
The value of any coin is whether people use it. If people use Litecoins or any altcoin for that matter it has value. By the very fact people trade it and even buy things with it negates the idea of it being "ponzi'-esque. Do people speculate and drive the price up? Sure most things bought and sold will have that profile. The fact there are people who talk the alt-coins down is just part of the economy. Basically weight the arguments and decide to move forward. If you are miner with a lot of GPU hash power it might be time to move to LTC or NVC.

Should you buy LTC and hold it? Sure put in as much as you are willing to lose or part with for months possibly years. As with any investment there is risk but I don't really see the point of endlessly promoting / shaming alt-coins considering there is a market established for them and if you are reasonably careful with your investment and not put everything into one basket say BTC only or LTC only but spread it more you should be able to protect your investment.

There is a lot of valuable information on these forums already regarding the nature of cryptocurrencies and the risks you are taking. I wish everyone luck and hope your choices bring you both financial returns but FUN.
Activity: 826
Crypto Somnium
LTC forever that is all  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
If you're going to laugh at Litecoin, you may as well laugh at Bitcoin and everything Bitcoin has spawned.

Agreed, LTC is here to stay.
Activity: 658

Personally I don't see how LiteCoins solve any problem that hasn't already been solved by BitCoins.

I find the ill thought out arguments in support of LiteCoins uncompelling. The often repeated 'all the miners will move to litecoins' argument is the emptiest of all as none of the value of BitCoins or LiteCoins exists because of miners, value exists because of buyers and the network generates coins at the same rate regardless. Second is the 'hour for a cup of coffee' argument used by people that have no understanding at all of how BitCoin transactions work. Third has to be the 'free market, multiple currencies are good' argument that doesn't hold water at all unless you claim that LiteCoin is somehow different to BitCoin in what it does, yet functionally it's identical and actually it's the same code with only very tiny changes.

The vocal supporters of LiteCoin are its biggest downside as well as its biggest asset. They don't always speak honestly and they love to trash talk the project that they essentially copied.

On the plus side at least LiteCoins don't have SolidCoin style central control or a pre-mine.

What determines value is indeed buyer and seller. But the nature of those terms seem to eclipse you. A seller will sell at a price that compensates for the difficulty of obtaining the sellable asset (commonly that could be physical effort, mental effort, time, investment, risk, difficulty to obtain/availability). So yes, miners do dictate the price to some extent. I say to some extent because nowadays, there is coins in the wild that may be obtained through different means, but the fact stays that mining is still currently a major source. The more we approach 21mil bitcoin, the less difficulty has an influence, but it coincides extremely well with adoption being an exponential uptrend. Both lite coins and bitcoins  are affected by those factors, and miners being the heart of crypto, those GPUs moving will have a strong influence on adoption.

Its already too far along for abortion.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
If you're going to laugh at Litecoin, you may as well laugh at Bitcoin and everything Bitcoin has spawned.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I think we can debate this until the cows come home, ultimately the market will decide for itself.

Who knows, while we all stand around comparing crypto dick sizes, a corp could release their own version (with a 'trusted brand name' already in place on the back of a multi million dollar marketing campaign) and a use case that does not leave the average joe confused as hell looking at a long line of random characters not knowing a private key from a wallet.

Interesting. Amazon could do this tomorrow and accept their new currency as payment for all their goods and services. If they let others use it freely it could eclipse BitCoin rather quickly. It could eclipse the GDP of some small nations rather quickly.

Amazon have the computing power, the on-line retail presence, and an aptitude for creative tax solutions. Somehow I doubt they want to be the world central bank.

If they get small % on each transaction they would.
Pages:
Jump to: