Pages:
Author

Topic: Loads of fake peers advertised on bitcoin network - page 2. (Read 588 times)

legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
I am still not seeing anything out of the ordinary. So either they are hitting specific IPs / Nodes or my SonicWall is blocking them for some reason.
I do have the sonic configured to block botnets, so if the connections are coming from known bad IPs they might never make it in. But other then that I have no idea.

@piotr_n  are you still seeing the attack?

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783
Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast
I had a similar issue recently where I received a ton of useless IP addresses but since I check each received IP before storage, they never reached the disk. It just created a big queue of pings which mandated some code changes. Some silver lining.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Are they all coming from 1 IP block or from everywhere?

There are ~200k records with IPs starting with 255.255... and a random (not 8333) port number - these were advertised 15+ hours ago.

But the more recent ones (~500k of them) seem to be completely random IPs with port number 8333

Banning the whole subnet with setban '255.255.0.0/16' add $((60*60*24*14)) # two week ban should be enough to see the wave of addresses die out as whoever's doing this probably won't be able to sustain their nodes for that long. But if you have a way to extract records from peers.dat then you can contain the bad addresses better.

I don't know if it will flush the bad addresses out of peers.dat though. Shutting down bitcoind and deleting peers.dat as a last resort will work though.
Activity: 287
Merit: 363
"Stop using proprietary software."
How would I be able to check something like this myself with my own node?
legendary
Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354
aka tonikt

There are ~200k records with IPs starting with 255.255... and a random (not 8333) port number - these were advertised 15+ hours ago.

But the more recent ones (~500k of them) seem to be completely random IPs with port number 8333
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
I am not seeing that in either of my "live" nodes in the office. Just about a dozen regular peers. Both are running 0.21.1
I have a 0.20.0 at home that I just turned on for the 1st time in a few weeks to see and it seems to syncing be fine with about 5 peers none blocked so far (15 minutes since boot +/- a few)

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354
aka tonikt
It seems like there is some sort of attack going on - the network is advertising hundreds of thousands of non-working addresses via the addr messages.
All my nodes' peers databases are now over 700k records and seem to be still growing...

Do you see the same at your nodes?

Does bitcoin core have a limit of peers upon witch it won't accept new addresses into the database?
How to best handle that?

Apart from the extra resources consumption, it now takes much longer to connect to new peers, because there are so many non-working addresses in the db.
Pages:
Jump to: