Pages:
Author

Topic: Localbitcoins: Account has multiple failed logins from unknown IPs - page 2. (Read 353 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092
[Edited to add] I can see a clear problem here: to disable 2FA, you need to provide signed proof you possess a secret, but that secret is shown right there on the same screen.

With every other 2FA I've had to reset today (new phone), the recovery key is only shown at the first or second step. Some sites made me re-enter the recovery key to confirm I had it saved. LBC is the only one out of several exchanges I've loaded today that shows the recovery key after 2FA is enabled.
Not that I agree with the way the show this, but wouldn't this be the same if it was just a QR code with the 2FA secret code? How would you be able to activate it in your phone without actually seeing it in the screen? And most services will only require the 2FA code to disable it, something you can also get just from the secret code/QR. And a malware/anyone with access to your screen would be able to see it/screenshot it/scan it/etc...

Anyone with access to your computer within the first 24 hours after 2FA is added could quietly disable it, and without needing to know your password.
Anyone with access to your ACCOUNT. And if they have this, your code is probably compromised anyway.

Yeah, I agree that if your machine is compromised - screen and key logging etc - then it doesn't matter if that secret only shows up for 2 seconds. You're done for, anyway.

But displaying the recovery key on the very same screen that allows you to disable 2FA is just plain dumb, since it means anyone with physical access can disable 2FA, without knowing your login details.

To me there seems to be something very wrong with this scenario:

"In order to reduce security on your account, you will need to prove you have the secret."

"By the way, the secret is XYZ."

Once you've proven your device has accepted the key (by inputting the 6 digit signature) there should be no need to show the recovery key again.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
Not that I agree with the way the show this, but wouldn't this be the same if it was just a QR code with the 2FA secret code? How would you be able to activate it in your phone without actually seeing it in the screen? And most services will only require the 2FA code to disable it, something you can also get just from the secret code/QR. And a malware/anyone with access to your screen would be able to see it/screenshot it/scan it/etc...

Anyone with access to your computer within the first 24 hours after 2FA is added could quietly disable it, and without needing to know your password.
Anyone with access to your ACCOUNT. And if they have this, your code is probably compromised anyway.

They shouldn't be showing the code after 2FA has already been enabled. It's being displayed for an unnecessary 24 hours and a lot can happen within that time frame, and they're making it slightly and needlessly easier for bad hombres to hijack accounts.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
The text seems to be saying that it will only be displayed for 24 hours after 2FA is enabled. Still risky, since anyone who can access your computer when logged in (including remotely capturing your screen when you load the 2FA page) will be able to capture and replicate your secret.

[Edited to add] I can see a clear problem here: to disable 2FA, you need to provide signed proof you possess a secret, but that secret is shown right there on the same screen.

With every other 2FA I've had to reset today (new phone), the recovery key is only shown at the first or second step. Some sites made me re-enter the recovery key to confirm I had it saved. LBC is the only one out of several exchanges I've loaded today that shows the recovery key after 2FA is enabled.

legendary
I haven't logged in in a while, but can your really see the 2FA key when logged in? That doesn't sound like a good security practice.

The text seems to be saying that it will only be displayed for 24 hours after 2FA is enabled. Still risky, since anyone who can access your computer when logged in (including remotely capturing your screen when you load the 2FA page) will be able to capture and replicate your secret.

[Edited to add] I can see a clear problem here: to disable 2FA, you need to provide signed proof you possess a secret, but that secret is shown right there on the same screen. Anyone with access to your computer within the first 24 hours after 2FA is added could quietly disable it, and without needing to know your password.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
To log in, LBC allows you to use your email address (which is private) or your username (which is publicly listed on feedback pages)

In 2019? I'm amazed. Most sites switched to email logins years ago because this is such an easy avenue to brute force weakly secured accounts.

LBC even helpfully shows your 2FA recovery code when you're logged in, which means their web server has read access to that secret.

Yikes. I was already paranoid about my TOTP shared secret being stored on exchange databases as it is. Localbitcoins seems to take the cake for terrible security practices.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
2. 2FA isn't an unbreakable fortress. To verify the 2FA signature your device generates, LBC has to compare against a copy of a shared secret, so anyone who possesses that secret (eg employee, hacker) will be able to generate a valid 2FA signature.

If you don't trust Localbitcoins employees not to defraud you, you shouldn't be using their site. I think a bigger worry (with exchanges and similar sites in general) is that someone may successfully socially engineering their customer support to take over another person's account. (maybe not anymore in 2019 with selfie verifications being common but still)

I haven't logged in in a while, but can your really see the 2FA key when logged in? That doesn't sound like a good security practice.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273
If I'm not wrong, they give us a set of codes which we need to write down? I've had my 2fa enabled on one of my accounts which used to be very active, but the image file that I saved on my offline PC got deleted by me accidentally. Is there any way you know to recover this 2fa thing there?

I've actually had no funds in it so I'm at least safe there (as I believe that even my 2fa could have been stolen if I may have gone online through that PC ever maybe, because I've an IMAGE saved of those codes).
Activity: 2730
Merit: 632
You will be worried if you see any successful login attempt.

Yes, I understand that they're unlikely to be able to successfully access my account, but it's worth considering:

1. To log in, LBC allows you to use your email address (which is private) or your username (which is publicly listed on feedback pages)

2. 2FA isn't an unbreakable fortress. To verify the 2FA signature your device generates, LBC has to compare against a copy of a shared secret, so anyone who possesses that secret (eg employee, hacker) will be able to generate a valid 2FA signature.

LBC even helpfully shows your 2FA recovery code when you're logged in, which means their web server has read access to that secret.
Nothing is unbreakable thats why we got really worried if hackers do really able to bypass LBC security but for now theres nothing to worry.
Its a little bit alarming that you do have multiple log-in from unknown IP's which isnt yours.It do proves out that your email info is known.
2fa is a must specially to accounts that had funds on it.
legendary

Yes, I understand that they're unlikely to be able to successfully access my account, but it's worth considering:

1. To log in, LBC allows you to use your email address (which is private) or your username (which is publicly listed on feedback pages)

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2736
Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o
In recent days my LBC account has been repeatedly probed:

08/17/2019 06:32    Failed login attempt    175.136.7.241
08/16/2019 22:30    Failed login attempt    175.136.53.202
08/16/2019 20:56    Failed login attempt    1.9.207.170
08/16/2019 17:10    Failed login attempt    210.195.23.136
08/14/2019 08:08    Failed login attempt    115.134.62.224
08/11/2019 16:36    Failed login attempt    124.13.250.203
08/11/2019 14:03    Failed login attempt    161.142.59.116
08/10/2019 23:55    Failed login attempt    210.186.99.148
08/10/2019 21:52    Failed login attempt    60.51.2.234
08/10/2019 18:01    Failed login attempt    219.92.150.84
08/10/2019 00:58    Failed login attempt    42.188.120.179
08/09/2019 08:18    Failed login attempt    210.195.40.83

All the IPs are from Malaysia, which is not where I live.

I'm assuming someone has scraped feedback and is targeting accounts they think will hold funds (mine is listed as 20+ BTC traded)

I have 2FA active on the account, so cracking it would be useless anyway. (If you're not using 2FA - enable it now!)

Anyone else seeing this sort of activity in their LBC account?
It's Failed login attempt, so do not worry much about it.
Anyone can use your username and try to login with random password or even if they know the password (worse case)but your 2fa is not known to them then they can not login to your account but for that attempt it will keep a log which you are seeing in this case.

legendary
In recent days my LBC account has been repeatedly probed:

08/17/2019 06:32    Failed login attempt    175.136.7.241
08/16/2019 22:30    Failed login attempt    175.136.53.202
08/16/2019 20:56    Failed login attempt    1.9.207.170
08/16/2019 17:10    Failed login attempt    210.195.23.136
08/14/2019 08:08    Failed login attempt    115.134.62.224
08/11/2019 16:36    Failed login attempt    124.13.250.203
08/11/2019 14:03    Failed login attempt    161.142.59.116
08/10/2019 23:55    Failed login attempt    210.186.99.148
08/10/2019 21:52    Failed login attempt    60.51.2.234
08/10/2019 18:01    Failed login attempt    219.92.150.84
08/10/2019 00:58    Failed login attempt    42.188.120.179
08/09/2019 08:18    Failed login attempt    210.195.40.83

All the IPs are from Malaysia, which is not where I live.

I'm assuming someone has scraped feedback and is targeting accounts they think will hold funds (mine is listed as 20+ BTC traded)

I have 2FA active on the account, so cracking it would be useless anyway. (If you're not using 2FA - enable it now!)

Anyone else seeing this sort of activity in their LBC account?
Pages:
Jump to: