Pages:
Author

Topic: Localbitcoins.com -- unusual request to sell -- Paranoid or Legit? - page 2. (Read 3146 times)

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
If you don't feel comfortable about a transaction it is best to back out. It is your money and possibly even your life that is at risk. No one else can tell you what that's worth.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Does it matter what he does with the BTC? Once you are in a safe public place and have cash in hand it shouldn't matter.
Activity: 152
Merit: 100
Really, do you mind what he does with the BTC as long as he drives cash to you (so you know it's no scam)? If you are really paranoid, you can have the cash checked in bank or so (to know it's not falsified and/or stolen).

As for tinfoil, you know it acts as antenna as long as it is not grounded? That means it makes it EASIER to read your mind.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
I've been signed up on localbitcoins for a couple of months now, and I've had a few requests for small transactions.  Both of the sell transactions that I've had went smooth and the people were cool & legit.  But today, I got a request that set off all kinds of alarms in my head, and I just want to see what the community thought.

I received a request from a brand new member on localbitcoins.com asking to purchase $3,200 USD worth of BTC from me at 10% over the Mt. Gox price.  He said that he's wanting to invest a total of $6,400, if I could fill the order.  I asked if he was new to bitcoin, and he replied that he had "invested in some a few months ago and had some success from it", but due to "new regulations in the past few months" he doesn't want to go through an exchange. I told him that I wouldn't sell more than 2.00 BTC to a new localbitcoins user with 0 transactions, and his response was that it wasn't worth his time to drive to meet me for 2.00 BTC.  He needed more than that.

In my paranoid/tin-foil mind, I see this as one of four different scenarios:

• Someone looking to launder some drug money or money from stolen goods.
  • Someone looking to launder some counterfeit money.
  • Someone looking to make a purchase on Silk Road.
  • Someone looking to purchase ASIC mining equipment.

I don't think this guy is buying BTC to sell.  I don't think he's "investing" in BTC.  I don't think he's a miner, because he never mentioned anything of the sort.

I backed away from this deal politely, but what do you guys think?
Pages:
Jump to: