Pages:
Author

Topic: Location of next European Bitcoin Conference (London v Berlin) - page 2. (Read 8532 times)

legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
I really don't understand or appreciate the "there are lots of other things to see in town too!" arguments. Fuck everything else in town, no one is going for a sightseeing expedition of a town, they're going to a convention/conference.

Well, people can do both, you know.   Don't be so squared.

If I flew all the way from South Korea to go to a conference/convention, I'd be fucking pissed if it wasn't all-day.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
I really don't understand or appreciate the "there are lots of other things to see in town too!" arguments. Fuck everything else in town, no one is going for a sightseeing expedition of a town, they're going to a convention/conference.

Well, people can do both, you know.   Don't be so squared.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Activity: 435
Merit: 250
Reasonings in the OP make sense.
However:

- London has Heathrow. *blargh* *ptui* *eek* *gasp*
- If you wanna drink a beer or book a hotel, you'd better be... a brit, or rich.

I've been in Berlin several times for various conferences, and they were all a success and a pleasure to attend.
This is what is needed - a place where the trip to get there doesn't "punish" you and diverges you from the real aim.

+1 Berlin.
legendary
Activity: 938
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
+1 Berlin

more friendly, more laid back, less crowded, affordable and spacious accommodation, plane connections slightly worse than in London, train connections a lot better.

Not that I don't like London, but it's not the best setting in the world for conferences.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080

Never been to Berlin.  Could be an opportunity Smiley

Forget Berlin.

legendary
Activity: 910
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
Is there new information about the conference, maybe an approximate date?

Yeah, we're going to make an announcement soon after we confirm the venue. We're shooting for either September or December.
Great to hear that there's progress - just let us know if you need any help!

Maybe we can witness the block 210.000 apocalypse live in December Wink
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
I will very likely attend this conference, especially if it is in Berlin. Missed the last one but I won't miss this.
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

Yeah, we're going to make an announcement soon after we confirm the venue. We're shooting for either September or December.
Sounds great! Berlin I hope? I estimate an 80% probability of me attending if it's in Berlin, compared to 25% for London.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

Wherever it is, keep in mind that Bitcoin Magazine/BitTalk.TV would like to be there to cover everything. Don't pick some place that I can't bring myself and my crew for under $20,000 and keep in mind that press doesn't usually pay for entry to places they are publicizing for free.

I vote Berlin because people follow Bitcoin and Bitcoin follows people so the choice should be made strictly on cost. This is not a trade show or exhibition like the one we're planning at the DCAO where people off the street will be going, so it doesn't really matter where it is.
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
Berlin!  Berlin!  Berlin!

You won't regret it.  Berlin is a wonderful city!  It is young and full of life and culture, and also history.  And it is cheap.  And it is not going to be on it's head and full of security theatre due to some sports event, which probably many Londoners would like to get away from as well.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
I haven't done an official count, but it looks like there's more votes for Berlin than London…
from this thread (and my unofficial counting):

Berlin: 24
London: 10

I would especially not go to London due to the Olympic games this year - everything will be much more expensive (Taxis ~20%, hotels 100-400% [source]).

Didnt even think about that point, Berlin even now more then ever!
legendary
Activity: 910
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
I haven't done an official count, but it looks like there's more votes for Berlin than London…
from this thread (and my unofficial counting):

Berlin: 24
London: 10

I would especially not go to London due to the Olympic games this year - everything will be much more expensive (Taxis ~20%, hotels 100-400% [source]).
Pages:
Jump to: