Pages:
Author

Topic: lol @ "buying and holding is the best strategy" - page 2. (Read 4123 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
dudes, I is survivor from tech stock bubble of late 90's. I was reading sites like Motley Fool who were saying that Buy and Hold was the only strategy to go. What a fucking disaster! Now I know that buy and hold is a very weak strategy, mainly being that there is no clearly defined exit plan and no idea of time horizons either. do not listen to buy and hold spouters, they talking out their anus.
Activity: 546
Merit: 501
I know two things. So far none of those bubbles we saw were identical. This one will be different too. And I hope people didn't expected, they will become rich by investing in bitcoins that easy. You have to hold through this bubbles like early adopters did. Don't listen to trolls.
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
Good for you if you made a profit playing the market. But most people who do that lose. Holding over 6 months or more is as safe a strategy as they come, and gives better ROI than anything else currently available.

Holding 6 months from 32 in June 2011 gave you a ROI of -94%.

Holding 6 months and then sell does not count as Buy and Hold. Holding it until now counts, and its ROI is more than 20000%.
Activity: 351
Merit: 250
I'm always grumpy in the morning.
lol @ "buying and holding is the best strategy"

It's still a good strategy. Whether it's the "best" strategy just depends on exactly when you buy.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
Some people are gonna get fucked so badly in the coming days/weeks.

The only ones who are going to get fucked badly are those who panic sell at a big loss right now. Most people will get screwed by the expert traders if they try to trade, buying and holding is always the best strategy for them. Nothing wrong with taking profits though, if everybody would take their initial investment and some profits out as the price goes up we would never see this kind of panic. Oh well periods like this are good for the distribution of coins. Smiley
Activity: 232
Merit: 100
I am not going to argue that for every investment at every point in time that buy and hold is correct and if you believe Bitcoin will eventually cease to exist or it has grown as much as it can then it is a bad strategy for you, but many studies using real data have shown that it is often a highly effective strategy.  

Here's one:

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/returns/Individual_Investor_Performance_Final.pdf

From the conclusion:

'Active investment strategies will under perform passive investment strategies. Overconfident investors will overestimate the value of their private information, causing them to trade too actively and, consequently, to earn below-average returns. Consistent with these behavioural models of investor overconfidence, we provide empirical evidence that households, which hold about half of U.S. equities,trade too much, on average. Those who trade the most are hurt the most.'

It should be noted that Bitcoin trading has much lower fees and lower barriers to trade than the traditional stock market.  This should lessen the pain of overactive trading, but as a quid pro quo it probably also contributes significantly to the price volatility which makes making the optimal decision at any one time exceedingly difficult.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500

A true long time holder buys a Lambo when he's sad.
Activity: 195
Merit: 102
DiMS dev team

LMAO!

ya YOU will!

Yep he envisions his destiny Smiley All the stoopid impatient children who will get out now, I pity them. And then the next wave of them will come, at high four digits, as they always do. They will say "man, I wish I was here when coins were three digits"  but then they will sell all on the first dip Smiley Bitcoin can't make everyone rich though, and that's fine with me that cowards don't profit.

I remember this after april when I tried to convince few people to jump in just after crash. They looked at me like I was the most naive and dumb person in the world.
I believe they regretted later, but at least at this point  they have a bit of  fun. We will see for  how long..
Activity: 532
Are you like these guys?

lol @ daytraders stuck behind a computer all day panicing over the same thing that happens every week for 1 LTC gains. buying & holding doesnt get you fuct, only buying and selling at a loss does.

Actually day traders live for days like this one and they are the only ones that don't panic. Don't judge buy the fud they spread to forums etc to leverage their positions...

I couldn't agree more, it's great to see the price drop. It's a pity it's only really an intraday swing rather than a more sustained depreciation. I'm still waiting for people to moan, howl and complain. You know it's definitely time to buy when people start running around the forum shouting, "The end of the world is nigh."

Doesn't look like that day is today though, have to be content with the sweet volatility, there's nothing quite like BTC for indeterminable price action Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

lol @ daytraders stuck behind a computer all day panicing over the same thing that happens every week for 1 LTC gains. buying & holding doesnt get you fuct, only buying and selling at a loss does.

Actually day traders live for days like this one and they are the only ones that don't panic. Don't judge buy the fud they spread to forums etc to leverage their positions...

i could imagine the ones with leverage (large bankrolls) do pretty well.  gotta have money to make money.
Activity: 476

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche

LMAO!

ya YOU will!

Yep he envisions his destiny Smiley All the stoopid impatient children who will get out now, I pity them. And then the next wave of them will come, at high four digits, as they always do. They will say "man, I wish I was here when coins were three digits"  but then they will sell all on the first dip Smiley Bitcoin can't make everyone rich though, and that's fine with me that cowards don't profit.
There will always be those who hold power and those who do not. 'RAH RAH RAH FITE DA POWA' ain't going to cut it.

You mean those who hold bitcoins and those who don't?  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

LMAO!

ya YOU will!
Activity: 253
Merit: 1413
DTCxNMC
I am not sure if people are too emotionally and personal-ideologically invested in cryptocurrency to see the simple truth: What has been made can be broken. One way or another.

Your infinite belief in the almighty power of crypto seems some what slanted.

I don't believe its power is infinite.  I believe that it might not work out.  It's the HOW that I can't see.  Even if it's banned by every single government I doubt that would stop it.  The only thing that comes to mind is total energy cost to maintain the system, but then we've also got proof of stake should proof of work end up too costly...
Activity: 728
Correction: Buying and holding is the best strategy for people who want to be able to sleep and a have life (but not the most profitable).
Activity: 420
I am not sure if people are too emotionally and personal-ideologically invested in cryptocurrency to see the simple truth: What has been made can be broken. One way or another.

Your infinite belief in the almighty power of crypto seems some what slanted.

I do believe crypto has a place, but I don't think anyone should believe for a moment they created a god's silver bullet against the 'tyranny' of fiat.

There will always be those who hold power and those who do not. 'RAH RAH RAH FITE DA POWA' ain't going to cut it.

Activity: 253
Merit: 1413
DTCxNMC

I'd argue that the people who are gonna get fucked are the ones that sold.  The longer the price stays low, the more people that will get fucked.  Why?  While the price drops and hangs out around $400, demand is still increasing.  Fiat is still slowly turning to garbage, the number of shops accepting Bitcoin is still increasing.  The increase of supply is overpowering the increase of demand in terms of rate at the moment because people are panicking, but the longer this happens, the sharper the upswing will be when the turnaround happens, the higher it will go, and the more people who will be left behind again.

Yeah, it will be great. I'm looking forward to buying some cheaper coins. Might have to wash the blood off some of them as some people have been slaughtered by the falling price.

Muahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheesy

You are looking forward to buy when? At 100$?
Pages:
Jump to: