Pages:
Author

Topic: London's mayor has banned 'unrealistic body images' from transport advertising - page 2. (Read 2103 times)

xht
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
hey you, yeah you, fuck you!!!
Body shaming huh? He's banning body shaming ads, or is he a muslim banning ads with scantily clad women in them?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

For the sake of non-UK residents, Transport for London is a company owned by elected authority.  Its advertising slots are private property.  There are no free speech issues when the owners of private property make an editorial decision as to which ads he does and does not want to run on their property.

Activity: 560
Merit: 252
I see nothing wrong with banning this kind of ads. there is no relation between the veil and the bikini so why the ads company put this photoshoped  photo that has nothing to do with reality !

There are many, many advertisements which have nothing to do with reality. Actually, that was the plan. Many ads are conceived with the express purpose of shocking the public, or at least to create emotion. I'm surprised the mayor has the power to cancel an advertising campaign. Wil the advertising company be refunded? Who will pay for that? Can it get damages?

From a judicial point of view, and .Khan shall know it the case would be difficult to handle in a court. And do you define "unhealthy or unrealistic body images"?

But the biggest question shall be: What's next?

I can answer you: everything single ads in the pubic space. The only form of ads legal is branding in front of the physical point of sell. So at least when you see the logo of a brand you will know that you can buy it straight away!

Because like at_newbie said the marketing people want to transform your brain, it's a form of psychological warfare. It can overwhelm most people in a subtile and unconscious way and ultimately raise the price of the product. Sooner or later deflation will suppress public ads because of the bad image it will generate for the brands doing it even if the owner of the owner of the display space for will make ads for their products saying how great it is.

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
I see nothing wrong with banning this kind of ads. there is no relation between the veil and the bikini so why the ads company put this photoshoped  photo that has nothing to do with reality !

Lately I have seen left wing nuts using very strange arguments to ban anything which they don't like. If you want to ban all the advertising which seems "unrealistic", then you will end up banning 99% of them. It is up to the public to decide which ads they would like to see, and we are supposed to have the freedom of expression. Anyway... what more to expect from a city which has just elected a pro-ISIS guy as the mayor?
Merit: 500
And so it begins english, The Muslim you just elected is already imposing his religious views on your country, You will reap what you sow.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

There are many, many advertisements which have nothing to do with reality. Actually, that was the plan. Many ads are conceived with the express purpose of shocking the public, or at least to create emotion. I'm surprised the mayor has the power to cancel an advertising campaign. Wil the advertising company be refunded? Who will pay for that? Can it get damages?

From a judicial point of view, and .Khan shall know it the case would be difficult to handle in a court. And do you define "unhealthy or unrealistic body images"?

Somebody gets it finally.

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
If you're that easily upset by this type of thing, you need to see a professional psychiatrist.
No it has everything to do with peace of mind and respect for public space. I wanted be able to walk without seeing perfect ass and steroid made pecs... I don't want to read or see even unconsciously ads made to depart me from my money and I don't want to have to be in constant resistance mindset to all the temptation out there... Those ads are a nuisance and I am not compensated properly! In your private space (newspapers, websites, apps or what ever ads like mad if you want I can opt out) in the street I can't!

Ps lighted ads or screen based consum electricity and as such pollute in co2 ;-)

Ps2 replace land whale by baby fat in my previous post! Less violent;)
legendary
It's for the children!!! Banning ads on the public space is the morale things to do! I am very disturbed by ads on public mass transit system... It's unsupportable. You can't unlooked it's pervasive, it's indoctrination!

http://cdn.arn.com.au/media/18058/vagina-final.jpg?width=500&height=440.83333333333337

Oh no! It's a Vagina! Go fuck yourself.

Have you ever considered that it might actually be really immature of you to call for the government censorship of something just because you're personally offended by it? Oh wait, what am I saying, religious people usually don't.

It has nothing to do with censorship, quite the contrary. It's to clear the mind from useless consumerism to reach higher level of thinking.

One a more serious note why shall I be subject to continuous harassment from ads with no benefits for me and without any other options to opt out than to live in the wild?

It has everything to do with censorship and you know it.
All ads on the public space are visual harassment and pollution what ever the subject. However if the people are too ignorant to see how they are exploited better to have bikinis babes than fat land whale...

Typical ads from a land whale in America:

"I'm a curvy girl (that just means there's more of me to love) who's currently in between jobs and has 3 different kids with different baby daddies. Plz don't reply unless you're over 6'1" and make six figs a year. Must be willing to treat me like a princess at all times and put up with me being a cunt for no reason.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
It's for the children!!! Banning ads on the public space is the morale things to do! I am very disturbed by ads on public mass transit system... It's unsupportable. You can't unlooked it's pervasive, it's indoctrination!

http://cdn.arn.com.au/media/18058/vagina-final.jpg?width=500&height=440.83333333333337

Have you ever considered that it might actually be really immature of you to call for the government censorship of something just because you're personally offended by it? Oh wait, what am I saying, religious people usually don't.

It has nothing to do with censorship, quite the contrary. It's to clear the mind from useless consumerism to reach higher level of thinking.

One a more serious note why shall I be subject to continuous harassment from ads with no benefits for me and without any other options to opt out than to live in the wild?
legendary

It's for the children!!! Banning ads on the public space is the morale things to do! I am very disturbed by ads on public mass transit system... It's unsupportable. You can't unlooked it's pervasive, it's indoctrination! Then when you add facial recognition software and personnalised ads based on location all the privacy issues...

I am ready to bet that if all billboards and screen ads were displaying lush green forest, violence in inner city would drop...
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

Pressure comes from the mass media? Like everywhere you are looking at?

When was the last time you went outside or watched tv?

I haven't watched TV in decades. I adblock everything. I live in the country and the nearest billboard is probably 30 miles away.

I am aware of what approaches the 'perfect' body. I'm sure one of my own might be attainable with months of starvation and running up hills. On the other hand I don't give enough of a fuck and I'm not going to pander to pathetic attempts to control my self image.

Yep. If more people would think like that a big part of the problem would instantly vanish but well... most people are like sheeps.... sad but true.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht

Pressure comes from the mass media? Like everywhere you are looking at?

When was the last time you went outside or watched tv?

I haven't watched TV in decades. I adblock everything. I live in the country and the nearest billboard is probably 30 miles away.

I am aware of what approaches the 'perfect' body. I'm sure one of my own might be attainable with months of starvation and running up hills. On the other hand I don't give enough of a fuck and I'm not going to pander to pathetic attempts to control my self image.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 520
1KoMmKPMG6xaWcqB8CPP3WJ8avRSVRHtP2
This is ridiculous , offended people are getting out of control
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 2198
I stand with Ukraine.
I don't like ads in public space independently of what is advertised. I think it's visual pollution and I get enough ads from other sources but at least I can chose to be exposed. So thank you mr mayor a step in the right direction...

I agree with you and the poster above who said "why this is a concern". The less ads we see on the street the better, and yes they should be controlled more on what they are putting on those billboards.
Pages:
Jump to: