Pages:
Author

Topic: Looks like some of the big pools in china are having DNS problems - page 2. (Read 499 times)

Activity: 723
Merit: 519
Got this from ViaBtc a few hours ago:

Dear ViaBTC users,
Recently, due to the impact of DNS pollution, some of the users in certain regions experienced abnormal resolution of the ViaBTC domain name (www.viabtc.com) and were unable to access the website properly. After emergency maintenance, ViaBTC has activated a new domain name (www.viabtc.net). If you have ever encountered the above situation, please use the new domain name to visit the website.

DNS pollution as in spoofing?

Poolin and F2pool were reachable at noon (GMT), viabtc.com was off, can't test .net for a while to see if it works.

I can get to the viabtc.net site, looks same as the old one.    I did not try to log in, waiting for someone braver to do that.

But when I replace .com with .net in my miners, I still get unresolved host.

same, .net used for stratum server does not connect
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
I signed into the .net site

may be legit

I will attempt to withdraw to coinex

It is, they put an announcement in their telegram group saying:

If you can not access the ( viabtc.com ) or App, please use the altenative domain name ( viabtc.net )

We will send you the detailed official announcement via email later this day.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Note: Kindly note that your mining or payment won’t be affected as long as your hashrates are valid.

and previously they posted the following:

Do not panic if you can not access the ViaBTC Web or App, we are currently working on this issue. Hopefully, it will be fixed later this day.

Kindly note that your mining or payment won’t be affected as long as your hashrates are valid.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

It's funny that they expect everyone to be on telegram, they should have sent out emails right after this shit happened, anyway, mining is going alright, heck, this is less scary than my experience with Poolin a while back, the pool was working just fine but my hashrate was showing zero.

legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 7701
'The right to privacy matters'

Dear ViaBTC users,
Recently, due to the impact of DNS pollution, some of the users in certain regions experienced abnormal resolution of the ViaBTC domain name (www.viabtc.com) and were unable to access the website properly. After emergency maintenance, ViaBTC has activated a new domain name (www.viabtc.net). If you have ever encountered the above situation, please use the new domain name to visit the website.

Poolin and F2pool were reachable at noon (GMT), viabtc.com was off, can't test .net for a while to see if it works.

I can get to the viabtc.net site, looks same as the old one.    I did not try to log in, waiting for someone braver to do that.

may be legit

Dear ViaBTC users,

may be legit

I was able to make a with drawl to coinex so I think it may be good.

do so at your own risk

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
Activity: 723
Merit: 519
I have several rigs pointed at all three of VIABTC stratum servers
Most still connected & hashing

1 rig in particular got disconnected and won't reconnect. Tried changing to a different pool on that rig and it connects as normal. Changed back to VIABTC several times and still won't connect
Activity: 378
Merit: 197

Dear ViaBTC users,

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io

Dear ViaBTC users,

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
biffa’s post now shows btc and other pow coins can be attacked with some success via large government interference.

not sure how this unfolds but on some level I really do not like it.

Not really, what it does show is the resilience of POW coins, because you can just easily mine to a different pool and everything just keeps going. It shows that you can take out the worlds biggest mining pools and the network still works exactly as intended.

The only risk is the risk of losing the coin that you have accumulated on the pool if it goes byebye. But its not a risk to the network itself and no more of a risk than if the pool dissapeared because the operator was inept or crooked.
legendary
biffa’s post now shows btc and other pow coins can be attacked with some success via large government interference.

not sure how this unfolds but on some level I really do not like it.
legendary
Looks like it might be related to Alibaba Cloud.

From CityAM
It seems the major pools of viaBTC, Poolin, F2Pool, Binance and BTCcom suddenly experienced connection interruptions. The only thing they all had in common was their DNS was provided by Alibaba Cloud, a Chinese owned operation. All had stopped resolving.

Or its China Telecom trying to block domestic miners reaching chinese pools, but ended up fubar'ing it and blocking the world.

Mining pools blocked
According to a recent document made by China Telecom and seen by The Block, the top Chinese internet service provider has come up with a detailed solution to detect domestic miner IPs that have communicated with mining pools' URLs.

Based on its ongoing detection, it can either cut off the internet service to specific IPs or manually blacklist the URLs that mining pools use to connect with individual equipment.

As of writing, the domains of almost all the 10 biggest mining pools by real-time hash rate for both Bitcoin and Ethereum are not accessible from IPs inside China, based on The Block's verification.

Among them, F2Pool, ViaBTC, BinancePool and BTC.com have seen sharp real-time hash rate declines by around 10% for either Bitcoin or Ethereum over the past 24 hours.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
Can't speak for the others but viabtc either broke something or is a fight with their hosting provider.

Doing a whois lookup at the global registry you get:
Code:
   Domain Name: VIABTC.COM
   Registry Domain ID: 1989117527_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
   Registrar WHOIS Server: grs-whois.hichina.com
   Registrar URL: http://www.net.cn
   Updated Date: 2021-11-25T12:15:46Z
   Creation Date: 2015-12-23T06:12:17Z
   Registry Expiry Date: 2024-12-23T06:12:17Z
   Registrar: Alibaba Cloud Computing (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
   Registrar IANA ID: 420
   Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
   Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +86.95187
   Domain Status: clientHold https://icann.org/epp#clientHold
   Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Name Server: VIP1.ALIDNS.COM
   Name Server: VIP2.ALIDNS.COM
   DNSSEC: unsigned
   URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2021-11-26T07:54:48Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar.  Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois
database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry
Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for
information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not
guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide
by the following terms of use: You agree that you may use this Data only
for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data
to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,
or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to
use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or
query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register
domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right
to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to ensure
operational stability.  VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to the
Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

**complete**

The 2 important lines are:

Updated Date: 2021-11-25T12:15:46Z
and
Domain Status: clientHold https://icann.org/epp#clientHold

So yesterday they (or someone) made a change to their DNS info BUT it does not matter since:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/epp-status-codes-2014-06-16-en#clientHold
client hold

This status code tells your domain's registry to not activate your domain in the DNS and as a consequence, it will not resolve. It is an uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal disputes, non-payment, or when your domain is subject to deletion.

Often, this status indicates an issue with your domain that needs resolution. If so, you should contact your registrar to resolve the issue. If your domain does not have any issues, but you need it to resolve, you must first contact your registrar and request that they remove this status code.

So it's never even making out. Although the Chinese government may have something to do with it, they are not blocking it at the edge. It IP address resolution does not even exist to make it there.

Yes I know that does not help, but it's a bit more info.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
my gpu's and cpu's were mining at viabtc - none are working now.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
My rigs  kept mining, everything looked good, until I rebooted my wireless, then every one 'could not resolve host name"

Wondering if yours continue to mine, and if they really are mining?

A miner wont do a DNS lookup to change an active connection, since stratum is a permanent connection.
When the connection is lost or the miner is restarted or rebooted, it may then do a DNS lookup that could be mangled by the problem.
legendary
I am willing to bet this happen on a prior thanksgiving.

At least I remember it happening.

I left all gear mining ⛏ on viabtc.

The gpus
The L3+
The s9
The s15
The s17
The s17+
The t15
The t17
The t17e
The t17+
The avalons
The whatsminers

basically its all running

and paying at viabtc.
legendary
My rigs  kept mining, everything looked good, until I rebooted my wireless, then every one 'could not resolve host name"

Do you mean you rebooted your router? Well if you did so then it explains why they can not connect anymore as explained in my first post.

Yup except for the 2 gears that rebooted the rest kept mining with no issues, in fact the app worked for a while a few mins back and the hashrate was showing pretty normal.
Activity: 378
Merit: 197
Probably by the time you read this it will all be fixed, but its been going on for a while now, not sure how much its affecting mining or just access to the web sites.

To most folks, it's probably just the website, out of nearly 200 gears I got running on Viabtc only 2 switched to the secondary pool because they were rebooted by awesomeminer for having "sick asics", the rest are unaffected and 0 seconds time on the backup pools.

The miners that switched to the secondary pools now showing Viabtc "dead", it will probably go away if I reboot them but I want to see what happens, so my guess is that if the miner wasn't rebooted during these DNS issues -- no issues, someone who runs a pool like Kano probably knows what could have been the problem, why are the previously connected miners running fine, and the ones that are negotiating for a new connection aren't.

Anyway, one should always be prepared for such a scenario, the back pool needs to be in a different geographical location.

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2490
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Discussing this in the KanoPool Discord room:
yeah that's correct but I get different answers every 2nd try
(to 8.8.8.Cool
oh it's just stopped doing it 🙂
only giving correct answers now
netghost
 —
Today at 6:45 PM
If I look it up I get 75.126.215.88
from the trustzone dns
Kano
 —
Today at 6:46 PM
you'll get random different answers - not just that one
well don't trust them then 😄
Yeah it's definitely something china is doing internally. I just did a ns lookup for kano.is from a vm inside china to one of my dns servers (outside china) and got a completely wrong answer - a single incorrect ip. But doing it from outside china gets the correct answer (2 ips)
The actual reply was also completely wrong it said the TTL was 192s which is wrong, a *.is must be at least 1day and kano.is is that 86400
So I guess china's GFW is doing some DNS fuckery to screw with it's residents
Hmm - maybe it's only mining?
I tend to agree with Kano's last statement about the GFW tho doesn't explain why a lot of other DNS sites around the globe were foobarred for a bit.
Activity: 34
Merit: 5
Completely off the grid: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/viabtc.com

Not doing great but slowly improving: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/poolin.com

Still a bit shaky: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/f2pool.com

Not sure if a network issue in the china firewall or what, but it would be interesting to see the failover data stats. One big pool going down like that could cascade to other pools getting knocked out when all the miners fail over to their secondary pools*

Unless they are using bitfury software, as that only allows one pool  Roll Eyes

Probably by the time you read this it will all be fixed, but its been going on for a while now, not sure how much its affecting mining or just access to the web sites.

By the time I'm reading this, still no DNS for ViaBTC, Poolin and F2pool :-(
legendary

To most folks, it's probably just the website, out of nearly 200 gears I got running on Viabtc only 2 switched to the secondary pool because they were rebooted by awesomeminer for having "sick asics", the rest are unaffected and 0 seconds time on the backup pools.

The miners that switched to the secondary pools now showing Viabtc "dead", it will probably go away if I reboot them but I want to see what happens, so my guess is that if the miner wasn't rebooted during these DNS issues -- no issues, someone who runs a pool like Kano probably knows what could have been the problem, why are the previously connected miners running fine, and the ones that are negotiating for a new connection aren't.

Anyway, one should always be prepared for such a scenario, the back pool needs to be in a different geographical location.
legendary
Completely off the grid: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/viabtc.com

Not doing great but slowly improving: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/poolin.com

Still a bit shaky: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/f2pool.com

Not sure if a network issue in the china firewall or what, but it would be interesting to see the failover data stats. One big pool going down like that could cascade to other pools getting knocked out when all the miners fail over to their secondary pools*

Unless they are using bitfury software, as that only allows one pool  Roll Eyes

Pages:
Jump to: