Pages:
Author

Topic: Lost coins in stupid way - page 2. (Read 517 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 2196
Signature space for rent
October 15, 2020, 12:21:26 PM
Sorry for your loss, if I were you then wouldn't just give up. I am not using Linux, so I am not an expert on it, but this tutorial would help you. Read this article, How To Recover Deleted Files In Linux [Beginner’s Guide] . I am not sure if "TestDisk" is trusted software since I hadn't used it. Just you may try it where you hadn't stored any cryptocurrency or other sensitive info.

If in case you fail to do that then you can ask Bitcoin Wallet Recovery Services. Seems they have a good reputation wale the forum. They would ask a percentage of the fee if they could recover it successfully.

Anyway hope you have learned that seed shouldn't store into the device which has been using online. In the future, write it on your notebook or multiple papers and save it in multiple places. It's a lesson for other users.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
October 15, 2020, 09:49:05 AM
Which wallet software are you using? Bitcoin core or Electrum or something else? Something about you mentioning seed phrases and Linux makes me think you're using Electrum. Did you set a password for the wallet? You can export the private keys and view the seed if you remember the wallet password, or if there's no password at all.

Can you make a transaction from your address with lost seed to an address associated with the other seed phrase you have?

If there was no wallet you can try running Ext4Magic with the path of your seed file, but you should stop downloading and writing things to disk or the deleted file might get overwritten by the disk, especially if your drive is almost full.
I assume your filesystem is ext4, I think it's the default filesystem created by Linux Mint.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_recovery#Ext4Magic

Code:
apt-get install ext4magic
Code:
ext4magic /dev/sdXY -f path/to/lost/file -R

Replace sdXY with the drive your seed file is located in.
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 5123
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
October 15, 2020, 09:24:52 AM
Is the file still open in a gui editor? Most gui editors support Ctrl-Z (even on linux).
By any chance, is the filesystem btrfs or another filesystem that supports snapshots? In that case you can see if there's an older snapshot available?
By any chance, did you mount an NFS or something... Try looking for .snapshots aswell.
If you saved the text on a locally mounted cloud service like dropbox, they also allow you to rollback (it's NOT a good idear to save sensitive data on a dropbox volume!!!)
Any backups?

Depending on the editor you used, some editors save a copy of your file when editing, and remove the old version and rename the copy when saving. In this case, you could probably do a scan for deleted files using a tool like testdisk. The more data you've written to your disk after saving the wrong seed, the lower your chances of recovering are...

For ~1 BTC i'd even recommand shutting down your system (unless you still have the editor opened, look at the very first line) and cloning your disk with dd. This way you have a full clone of your disk to retry different salvage tools

Just for the record: i don't like your odds... Sorry to be the barer of bad news... But for ~$8k I wouldn't just give up, and I'd probably try to get my funds back...
Activity: 2
Merit: 9
October 15, 2020, 09:12:09 AM
Hi,

I am stupid and I have lost 8k of BTC, but maybe you can help me... I have two seeds stored in txt file. I have checked both of seeds and found that one wallet is empty. Then I have deleted empty wallet seed and saved txt file. I don't know how, but I have deleted seed of 0.95BTC and stored empty wallet seed. I have not shut down my pc, but I have saved my txt file. My OS is Linux Mint. I have try some of the recovery soft, but all of them can't recover anything even my deleted photo Sad The bad news that my SSD disk is encrypted with Linux encryption... Is there a way to recover my old file, or it's not possible?

I will send some nice tips if some helps me to recover.

Thank you all guys!
Pages:
Jump to: