Pages:
Author

Topic: LTC - Why are you mining with 7950 and not with 7970 - page 3. (Read 8129 times)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10
7950's can get 660 KH/s without breaking a sweat. 7970's are pickier to tweak. Price.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 250
Alexander KOSTIN | GoldMint
I get ~550kh/s with my 7950's (Sapphire 40g)

Based on the price of cards and power consumption of the 7970's as well as current coin prices the extra $100 isn't worth it.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
I did the ROI on all the 5000 6000 and 7000 series.  The result was that the 7950s outperform the better cards based on dollar value.  There is usually a market up by hardware manufactured for the best of breed models to offset that fewer people will choose them over cheaper cards.  There are a few best of breed 6900s and 5900s that do very well at hashing rates per dollar but fail to provide a cost benefit to 7950's lower wattage

As to the resale value.  I'm writing off depreciation of hardware assets so it somewhat offsets the loss when these cards go back on the market in about 18 months.  Factoring depreciation (not expected resale value) 7950s still do better.

I keep up on the price changes and if and when 7970s break into the sweet spot of the cost value curve I'll start buying them.  Until then 7950s all the way.
aa
Activity: 544
Litecoin is right coin
Because your cost calculations weighted with equipment costs and wattage results in a better earning and shorter ROI on 7950s

I'd like some numbers on that better kh/J claim. Shorter ROI doesn't mean shit if you're planning to mine in the long run.
Enjoy spending an extra $100 per GPU and extra money for electricity costs to get almost no increase in hash rate (if you can even get 700Kh/s, that is).

I'll mine with my 4 GPUs doing 700Kh/s each while you mine with your equally expensive 3 GPUs doing 750Kh/s each.
And what are these settings for getting 700kh/s from an 7950? And what 7950 model?
That information has been available for a long time now. I've been talking about it for nearly two months in #litecoin and it's been posted on the Litecoin forums for a few weeks.
Activity: 258
Merit: 100
Look ARROUND!
Because your cost calculations weighted with equipment costs and wattage results in a better earning and shorter ROI on 7950s

I'd like some numbers on that better kh/J claim. Shorter ROI doesn't mean shit if you're planning to mine in the long run.
Enjoy spending an extra $100 per GPU and extra money for electricity costs to get almost no increase in hash rate (if you can even get 700Kh/s, that is).

I'll mine with my 4 GPUs doing 700Kh/s each while you mine with your equally expensive 3 GPUs doing 750Kh/s each.
And what are these settings for getting 700kh/s from an 7950? And what 7950 model?
Activity: 115
Because an extra $100 per video card isn't worth an extra 100-150kh/s.

I still haven't found the settings to break 600kh/s each but I'm still happy with the results and happy that I didn't go with the 7970s.

I think people who buy 7970s are just bad at math or wanted a nice gaming card that they can mine with on the side.
aa
Litecoin is right coin

Enjoy trying to sell your 7950s when I dump my 7970s at the end of the road..  Wink
Thanks, I'll sell them for the same price you sell yours.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Enjoy trying to sell your 7950s when I dump my 7970s at the end of the road..  Wink
aa
Litecoin is right coin

Activity: 518

Activity: 163
But I'd say if you already own 7970s, there is really no reason to go out and buy yourself 7950s to replace.
You can still configure 7970s to perform arguably equally efficient as 7950.
Activity: 72
Hi there,

I am still thinking about switching from BTC to LTC mining and was wondering why most people mine LTC with 7950 instead of 7970. Any good reason for that?

The reason why 7950s are generally preferred to 7970s is because of their superior price/performance ratio. 7950s are also often considered to be more efficient than 7970s (i.e. more Kh/s per watt) although in my own experience I find them to be equally efficient when used with the proper settings.
aa
Litecoin is right coin
It's because people with 7950s aren't mentally challenged. 7950 hits 690Kh/s easily with way less power usage and a lot less cost per GPU.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Activity: 518
I wondered the same. My rigs are built with 7970's --> maximum hashing power per motherboard. All hitting 750kh/s and some even 790.

So yeah..
Activity: 126
Hi there,

I am still thinking about switching from BTC to LTC mining and was wondering why most people mine LTC with 7950 instead of 7970. Any good reason for that?
Pages:
Jump to: