Pages:
Author

Topic: Mailing list migration - page 2. (Read 401 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
November 08, 2023, 03:49:47 PM
If they setup their own server and tweaked the code (they are developers....) it might work for them with very few changes.

What do you mean? That they could maintain the same mailing list hosted in their own server?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
November 08, 2023, 03:23:44 PM
Goodbye linux mailing lists! Massive contribution to open-source projects.

This forum used to host high level discussion from Satoshi and a number of other devs when it was first created, but given the amount of unmoderated spam and shitposts on this forum now, it would be a poor choice.
Actually, due to the history of this place, I think it'd be a good idea if the devs chose to host their conversations here under one of the following circumstances:

- They get their own board, in which only approved users can have write permissions. Signatures will be disabled in that place.
- They create a self-moderated thread.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
November 08, 2023, 03:10:10 PM
Can they please move over here in this forum?
This forum used to host high level discussion from Satoshi and a number of other devs when it was first created, but given the amount of unmoderated spam and shitposts on this forum now, it would be a poor choice.

I'm sure the moderators of the mailing list delete dozens of posts for every one which is actually circulated to the list.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 08, 2023, 02:00:21 PM
Part of it is does anyone want to spend any time and effort and money doing it?

They are running mailman and they are not 100% happy with it. That's fine, but since it was on the Linux Foundations servers they were limited as to what they could modify.

If they setup their own server and tweaked the code (they are developers....) it might work for them with very few changes.

-Dave
copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
November 08, 2023, 01:15:32 PM
Can they please move over here in this forum? I never visited that mailing list before, maybe once but I'm tired to talk to faceless experts here, if they come here we can know who they are. More importantly I with a few others can share our mind blowing and reality bending discoveries with them directly. Now which ring do we need to kiss to make that happen? Who is the BIG GUN in charge around dev team woods?😉
Activity: 406
Merit: 896
November 08, 2023, 01:00:25 PM
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2023-November/022134.html

The Linux Foundation are ending their support of mailing lists. They have agreed to continue to host the historical content, but the bitcoin dev mailing list will need to migrate to a new platform.

Options raised so far include another mailing list host, Google Groups, groups.io, Nostr, Matrix, a forum, GitHub discussions, or even do nothing and just let the mailing list end.

Either way, apparently a decision will have to be reached very soon - before the end of this year.

In fact a week ago I tried subscribing to the list but it was unresponsive. I got no email whatsoever. This explains why I guess.

Will we be able to check on the other mailing list?
Activity: 280
Merit: 159
November 08, 2023, 12:58:57 PM
I go through the link I read to have more experience, and I reach a section where the Linux Foundation has tried to move all mailings from Mailman2 to Mailman3, but they end up giving up due to scalability issues in 2017, which is something that needs to be considered because if we have issues with the scale, I don’t think we will get what we wanted.
Though this link was so educational and I also know more from that pass, I will say a great kudos to o_e_l_e_o for this great educational link.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
November 08, 2023, 12:26:04 PM
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2023-November/022134.html

The Linux Foundation are ending their support of mailing lists. They have agreed to continue to host the historical content, but the bitcoin dev mailing list will need to migrate to a new platform.

Options raised so far include another mailing list host, Google Groups, groups.io, Nostr, Matrix, a forum, GitHub discussions, or even do nothing and just let the mailing list end.

Either way, apparently a decision will have to be reached very soon - before the end of this year.
Pages:
Jump to: