Pages:
Author

Topic: Making server PSUs quieter - page 2. (Read 2206 times)

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
December 30, 2016, 01:05:16 PM
Ambient temp is 19-20c which isn't a problem. This is all to do with saving some money on the PSU side of things. The EVGA ive currently got is great but if I can sell it (or get a refund) and get the same performance and more power from the HP then why not.

Im hopefully heading over to pick up a couple of the HP PSU's tomorrow. Ill take one apart and see what goes on inside and whether what im planning to do is even feasible. If its not then I can sell the PSU's on here or ebay and be no worse off.

So can anyone tell me if the fan speed is load based or temp based as I cannot find a datasheet on this model of HP PSU anywhere.
Activity: 518
Merit: 501
December 30, 2016, 12:31:59 PM
Pretty much any PSU worth anything grounds the case. It's a safety feature.

When you say "independent 12v Temp controlled PWM fan", please clarify what is "independent". I don't know if the PSU has protection mechanisms where it won't stay lit up without detecting a spinning fan, but the built-in fan is PWM temp-controlled and runs off 12V so I'd just plug the new external fan into its port and see if that's good enough.

I was going to get a cheap 12v pwm fan controller that has a temp probe and place that inside the psu so the larger quieter fan I put on ramps up and down as necessary. I had an idea that the existing fan would be controlled via pwm signals but wouldn't it need to register silly rpm for the psu to function as intended? As the larger fan will obviously spin slower so would there be a conflict with what the psu "sees" and shut it down if it doesn't reach the target rpm?

I'm assume the existing fan is load related rather than temp related aswell.

It sounds like you are having fun and will break things. What psu's are you using? The 3x750w setup I have will wake the dead...but the dps-800's are quieter than an s7. Maybe it helps that the s7 "heater's" in my room have 1 dps800 per blade? With less load they will make less noise.

You can also purchase variations of the small server fans and of course replace what is in the PSU...It might not make much of a different.

What is your ambient temperature?
December 30, 2016, 11:05:54 AM

When you say "independent 12v Temp controlled PWM fan", please clarify what is "independent". I don't know if the PSU has protection mechanisms where it won't stay lit up without detecting a spinning fan, but the built-in fan is PWM temp-controlled and runs off 12V so I'd just plug the new external fan into its port and see if that's good enough.

I was going to get a cheap 12v pwm fan controller that has a temp probe and place that inside the psu so the larger quieter fan I put on ramps up and down as necessary. I had an idea that the existing fan would be controlled via pwm signals but wouldn't it need to register silly rpm for the psu to function as intended? As the larger fan will obviously spin slower so would there be a conflict with what the psu "sees" and shut it down if it doesn't reach the target rpm?

I'm assume the existing fan is load related rather than temp related aswell.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
December 30, 2016, 10:50:45 AM

December 30, 2016, 10:31:27 AM
Firstly, why? Smiley Seems like you are chasing your own tail trying to home mine quietly these days.

Secondly, the only way I can see it working with the larger slower fans providing enough airflow is to use some sort of reducing cowl.

Working it out I can get a hp dps1200 for £30 plus breakout board etc at another £40ish it's a £100 saving compared to the 1000w platinum psu I've got and more powerful. Plus it gives me something to do other than work-sleep-repeat.

Are server psus ok to handle while they are on as I've read that they ground to the case.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
December 30, 2016, 09:42:59 AM
Firstly, why? Smiley Seems like you are chasing your own tail trying to home mine quietly these days.

Secondly, the only way I can see it working with the larger slower fans providing enough airflow is to use some sort of reducing cowl.
December 30, 2016, 07:13:00 AM
Hi everyone,

Firstly mods if this is the wrong section please move to an appropriate one. Thanks.

I'm looking at switching out an ATX psu for a server psu (HP DPS1200FB-1) but need to make it as quiet as possible as I'm a home miner.

I need to know what kind of behaviour to expect if I were to remove the small jet engine from the front and replace it with via an independent 12v Temp controlled PWM fan mounted on top (with hole cut in the plate).

Has anyone managed to do anything similar?

P.S. I know finally and jabberwock do psus with fans but they run and full speed and they are for a beast of a psu which I just don't need.
Pages:
Jump to: