Pages:
Author

Topic: Malicous Links - page 2. (Read 1108 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
May 21, 2015, 11:58:29 AM
I've not been here a year yet, so maybe I have no place to complain but I'm just wondering if other members are more than a little hesitant about clicking on links provided by other members.

I've seen posts warning about the possibilities of infecting your computer with all sorts of malicious code simply by clicking on a link in a post or signature. I know myself that I'm getting increasingly paranoid about the situation to the point of phobia. I've read that you shouldn't even trust links in Hero and Legendary Member posts because that account may have been sold to someone who would use that inherent trust against the unsuspecting curious.

Bitcointalk.org is the go to online community for all things bitcoin related. Is there any way that links can be vetted? I know that any post can be flagged, for any reason, but I don't know that anything is really done about malicious links. It's my understanding that links that were once valid and useful can and have been changed and still appear the same. What's a newb to do?

I know it's ridiculous to think that every link in the history of this forum be vetted for the safety of all members old and new. Let alone what malice intent awaits any one of us who clicks on a link that takes us away from this forum.

The internet is a scary and potentially dangerous place and even here, where techies rein supreme, there be monsters.  

fdyl

It may be a very small risk, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

I do not click unrecognized links in ANYBODY's posts, no matter how "trusted" they are or what their history is here at bitcoin talk.  There is nothing I'm going to gain from clicking on an unrecognized link that is worth the risk of encountering an unexpected exploit.

You pays your money, and you takes your chances.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
May 21, 2015, 11:52:55 AM
Activity: 584
Merit: 500
May 21, 2015, 11:26:19 AM
The forum(Staff and Moderators) can't handle this.
Of course, if someone suspects that it maybe dangerous, so him shouldn't click on the supposed link.
If someone PROVES it's malicious software, then he should notify/report.
And forum rank doesn't mean nothing, it's just how long he has been here, nothing else.
The forum does remove maleware links, however they cannot do so immediately because they don't know that something is maelware as soon as it is posted (they first need to receive a report and then have supporting evidence to backup such report).

You should exercise extreme caution when clicking on links posted by others. It would probably be best to only click on most links inside a VM environment to protect your computer.

There are of course a certain number of domains whose links are probably safe to click on
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
May 21, 2015, 11:14:31 AM
usually if you hover over it you can tell if it is malicious or not, just don't click blindly, also chrome is helping a bit with some malicious website that are redirected from those links
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
May 21, 2015, 11:10:41 AM
The internet is a scary and potentially dangerous place and even here, where techies rein supreme, there be monsters. 

Jesus Christ dude - don't click on any links!  Are you crazy?  All your bitcoin will be gone in 3 seconds.  Just don't click things on the Internet - too dangerous.  You should turn your computer off now!  Go watch TV.

Yup, there's no point in staying under rock out of fear; like i said, just some common sense and the chance to pick up something is near to zero.
If in the unlikely case you do pick something up, having a strong encryption on wallet will still keep your bitcoins safe. The problem occurs when you dont realize that you're infected, and the built in keylogger picks up
your wallet password while you are unlocking your wallet..

cheers
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
May 21, 2015, 11:07:49 AM
There are potentially harmful links that are being posted here, but before clicking links, it is advisable to run a scan on VirusTotal so as to minimize the risk of visiting an infected site. Also, try having an AV so that you will have an added layer for your pc against the threats of harmful scripts and codes that could run an exploit once you clicked that link.
Activity: 532
Merit: 250
May 21, 2015, 11:04:35 AM

Jesus Christ dude - don't click on any links!  Are you crazy?  All your bitcoin will be gone in 3 seconds.  Just don't click things on the Internet - too dangerous.  You should turn your computer off now!  Go watch TV.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
May 21, 2015, 11:02:37 AM
Well lately those links are minimized by prompt staff, and (even more if i may say) members who report anything thats out of place by using "report to moderator" option.
Regarding links themselves, i doubt you will get infected if you only click on some link (i may be wrong, if there are some new exploits), but your safety also is impared if you are using no AV, and have auto-run enabled for java.
I highly recommend setting java to be click-to-run, and just dont run anything u didnt previously check on VT. Sandbox is also very hany program to use, but then again, there are crypters that recognize sandbox..

Most of malicious programs (bitcoin related) are trojans, and if you read up a bit about them, all it takes is little bit of caution, and you will never pick up one , since they are eazy to recognize, even FUD crypted.
If you have AV bundle, make sure proactive defense is activated, since vs. unknown (new) threats that is the only thing that can pick them up, as they are not yet marked by AV companies themself.

cheers
Activity: 952
Merit: 513
May 21, 2015, 10:55:41 AM
You just need to be careful with links posted in threads.
Whenever possible try to scan links with http://www.virustotal.com
legendary
Activity: 1386
English <-> Portuguese translations
May 21, 2015, 10:53:54 AM
The forum(Staff and Moderators) can't handle this.
Of course, if someone suspects that it maybe dangerous, so him shouldn't click on the supposed link.
If someone PROVES it's malicious software, then he should notify/report.
And forum rank doesn't mean nothing, it's just how long he has been here, nothing else.
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
May 21, 2015, 10:38:52 AM
I've not been here a year yet, so maybe I have no place to complain but I'm just wondering if other members are more than a little hesitant about clicking on links provided by other members.

I've seen posts warning about the possibilities of infecting your computer with all sorts of malicious code simply by clicking on a link in a post or signature. I know myself that I'm getting increasingly paranoid about the situation to the point of phobia. I've read that you shouldn't even trust links in Hero and Legendary Member posts because that account may have been sold to someone who would use that inherent trust against the unsuspecting curious.

Bitcointalk.org is the go to online community for all things bitcoin related. Is there any way that links can be vetted? I know that any post can be flagged, for any reason, but I don't know that anything is really done about malicious links. It's my understanding that links that were once valid and useful can and have been changed and still appear the same. What's a newb to do?

I know it's ridiculous to think that every link in the history of this forum be vetted for the safety of all members old and new. Let alone what malice intent awaits any one of us who clicks on a link that takes us away from this forum.

fdyl
Pages:
Jump to: