Pages:
Author

Topic: Market cap of Bitcoin sure is tiny...just sayin' - page 2. (Read 2717 times)

legendary
Activity: 992
Merit: 1000
Facebook market cap is in the hundreds of billions, not tens of billions.

Then that would put bitcoin at like 10K+ per coin. Ridiculous
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003
All supposed "value" is technically made up and arbitrary anyway. Tomorrow we could all decide to use hello kitty plush dolls as currency, drop the dollar, and then $ would be worthless and whoever has the most hello kitty plush dolls wins.

No. Things can be somewhat arbitrary short-term, but usually not long-term. There are actually few things that serve well to reduce the friction of exchange.

In my opinion Facebook is worthless but it's worth tens of billions. ...

Facebook's market-cap is $196 billion with a PE of 82. You can argue with the PE being too high, but to assert that FB is worthless is just silly. They bring in plenty of net revenue.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
Facebook market cap is in the hundreds of billions, not tens of billions.
legendary
Activity: 992
Merit: 1000
All supposed "value" is technically made up and arbitrary anyway. Tomorrow we could all decide to use hello kitty plush dolls as currency, drop the dollar, and then $ would be worthless and whoever has the most hello kitty plush dolls wins.

But it won't happen because this is what we are used to.

In my opinion Facebook is worthless but it's worth tens of billions. Bitcoin is way cooler than facebook, and provides a much more important service for humanity than facebook (in my opinion.) Yet if bitcoin had the market cap of facebook then the price would increase by a factor of ten.
N12
donator
True story. WhatsApp, a damn chat program, was sold for 22 billion.

19 billion Blitz. This is the second time you've given the wrong number! (I realize your error doesn't change your point in any way.)
I don't know, first time I wrote 19 but edited it to 22 as I stumbled on newer sources. Are you sure?

Here's one of the sources for 22: http://time.com/3477028/facebook-whatsapp-19-billion-dollar-deal/

Hey look at this overvalued overhyped thing, surely our overvalued overhyped thing should be worth much more.
There's nothing wrong with that reasoning. Financial markets aren't built on much more than delusions.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

Hey look at this overvalued overhyped thing, surely our overvalued overhyped thing should be worth much more.
N12
donator
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
...saying the obvious.  http://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap  (US $ 5 Billion market cap is peanuts)

Long on BTC however.  But if this ever goes mainstream, we will all be rich.  If...
Pages:
Jump to: