Pages:
Author

Topic: Mars Missions Are A Scam - page 2. (Read 1918 times)

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
February 24, 2015, 03:36:45 AM
The fact that these people have so blatantly advertised it as a 'one way trip' just shows you how much contempt they have for people, I would never work with anyone with such a disregard for their own peoples' safety, It could possibly make sense if you were going to try sending these guys to a planet with atmosphere but they're basically asking them to die and they don't even have a real plan to get this colony of theirs set up.

I really want to know what their angle is and how they are supposed to benefit from this, yes, there have been resources on Mars found, but because of how far away it is and how there isn't a natural supply of oxygen they probably wouldn't last a day, going by that logic, the moon is closer and we already have operations going on there so there's a better chance of rescue if something goes wrong.

If they state the known dangers, and if they state that they don't know what all the dangers are...

People throw their life savings into gambling. In this case the gamble might have aesthetic value rather than monetary value. The colonists feel that they are moving to expand our living spaces.

While I personally would never do this in this kind of a way, I vote for freedom for the people. Sure, explain to them how stupid they are, but let them be free... as long as I am not forced to pay their way through taxes.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
February 24, 2015, 03:09:30 AM
The fact that these people have so blatantly advertised it as a 'one way trip' just shows you how much contempt they have for people, I would never work with anyone with such a disregard for their own peoples' safety, It could possibly make sense if you were going to try sending these guys to a planet with atmosphere but they're basically asking them to die and they don't even have a real plan to get this colony of theirs set up.

I really want to know what their angle is and how they are supposed to benefit from this, yes, there have been resources on Mars found, but because of how far away it is and how there isn't a natural supply of oxygen they probably wouldn't last a day, going by that logic, the moon is closer and we already have operations going on there so there's a better chance of rescue if something goes wrong.
Activity: 675
Merit: 513
February 24, 2015, 01:02:02 AM
How long does it take completely "dead" clay to be changed enough so that it can support plant life?

If you take red clay that has all the minerals in it, and you kill all the organisms and organics in it, and then wash them out, how long does it take before you can make plants grow in it again by reintroducing the basic humic microbes?
I guess with 'plant life' you mean useful plants? Not something like lichen?
I think the biggest problem will be the nitrogen.
You need plants that get the nitrogen out of the air.
legendary
February 24, 2015, 12:16:07 AM
How long does it take completely "dead" clay to be changed enough so that it can support plant life?

If you take red clay that has all the minerals in it, and you kill all the organisms and organics in it, and then wash them out, how long does it take before you can make plants grow in it again by reintroducing the basic humic microbes?

Many plants, if they are introduced to soil as adult plants, already have humic microbes in them. Their roots can take these microbes down into the soil as the plants search for water and nutrients. But the minerals have to be converted to ionic minerals by the humic microbes, otherwise the metallic and inert minerals kill the plants.

Fungus is different. Some yeasts can live directly off metallic minerals. These yeasts can be consumed (brewers yeast). Yeasts can be bred for taste and nutrient quality, that are healthy for people and animals to eat, or for plants to consume.

Perhaps we should start doing experiments on breeding yeasts. Since we haven't had the need here on earth, it may never have been done on a scale big enough to actually feed people.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386
February 23, 2015, 10:59:41 PM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/danvergano/mars-aint-never-gonna-happen

Curious what this community thinks on this topic?  I am of the opinion that we have progressed beyond "get a man there first" like in the 1960s for the moon missions; our robots can do most of the exploring and field work at a fraction of the cost it would take to get humans there, and they do it much safer.  As the tech improves our robots will only get better at it.  I can't see any real benefit, especially when cost is factored in, to sending humans other than a cool factor or to say, "I did it first!".

I can get behind asteroid mining much sooner than I can a manned Mars mission.

Mars is habitable, because it has the required elements for life.  Unlike the Moon it has lots of carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen.  This means that dirt such as plants like can be created and then farming is possible.

The question is then not can mars missions be done but should they be.

Usually this question is answered on a cost or vision basis.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
February 23, 2015, 10:34:51 PM
Bull crap.  Mars missions are long overdue.  If we didn't have such squabling babies wanting to rule the world and greedy pigs stealing from poor workers we'd have been to Mars and beyond by now.  What a load of crap.
legendary
February 23, 2015, 08:54:15 PM

Curious what this community thinks on this topic?  I am of the opinion that we have progressed beyond "get a man there first" like in the 1960s for the moon missions; our robots can do most of the exploring and field work at a fraction of the cost it would take to get humans there, and they do it much safer.  As the tech improves our robots will only get better at it. I can't see any real benefit, especially when cost is factored in, to sending humans other than a cool factor or to say, "I did it first!".

How about preperations for future colonisation of the planet? exploring possible mining etc..
I realy hope they go there, i wonder how it will be for them, future is coming, and its perfectly possible that it will be an option to have a self sustaining life there.

Why ruin the fun, let them.

cheers

Right. Let them have their fun. Just don't tax the rest of us to do it.

Some of the kids - the younger people of the group - have looked at the idea of having babies (I'm talking normal, not a Mars mission baby). They realized making babies was fun. But they realized how much trouble it is after they get the kids living. So, they know what it will be like going to Mars - a thousand times harder, more dangerous, more expensive, more painful, and maybe even deadly. Let them have their fun.

Smiley

EDIT: After all, as Blofeld said to Bond in You Only Live Twice, "You only die once, Mr. Bond." (Or was it, "You only live twice, Mr. Bond?")
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
February 23, 2015, 07:51:17 PM

Curious what this community thinks on this topic?  I am of the opinion that we have progressed beyond "get a man there first" like in the 1960s for the moon missions; our robots can do most of the exploring and field work at a fraction of the cost it would take to get humans there, and they do it much safer.  As the tech improves our robots will only get better at it.  I can't see any real benefit, especially when cost is factored in, to sending humans other than a cool factor or to say, "I did it first!".

How about preperations for future colonisation of the planet? exploring possible mining etc..
I realy hope they go there, i wonder how it will be for them, future is coming, and its perfectly possible that it will be an option to have a self sustaining life there.

Why ruin the fun, let them.

cheers
Activity: 196
Merit: 104
February 23, 2015, 07:31:49 PM
Well I have heard of planned trips in 2024 to take people to Mars, lets see if that happens. The General population won't lie.
legendary
Activity: 1274
February 23, 2015, 06:46:07 PM

Pages:
Jump to: