Pages:
Author

Topic: Masternodes/POS the future of mining? - page 3. (Read 1531 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 101
There is one very significant drawback in the POS - this is when to generate new coins, you need to purchase or else where you can get a lot of coins. What makes the rich richer.
In some coins, several people hold the entire network and generate coins.
Simple users with a small amount of coins simply can not earn anything.

Unlike POW, where even the owners of processors on some algorithms can earn.
On the other hand, the coins that use PoS do not require large amounts of electricity and the miners do not have to sell their coins to pay for electricity. In addition, most coins are in stacking and this does not create pressure on the price.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1387
Ukrainians will resist
There is one very significant drawback in the POS - this is when to generate new coins, you need to purchase or else where you can get a lot of coins. What makes the rich richer.
In some coins, several people hold the entire network and generate coins.
Simple users with a small amount of coins simply can not earn anything.

Unlike POW, where even the owners of processors on some algorithms can earn.
Activity: 925
Merit: 100
Cheaper way of doing things can't be overemphasized, thus with PoS using less energy it means more profit for miners. Also, ETH believes there will be more security by migrating to PoS consensus.
Nevertheless, I will wait it out and see how it goes because truly, investing huge to be able to mine isn't really a good idea.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 646
Both Masternode/PoS and PoW is prone to centralization.
PoW due to corporations owning ASIC machines
Masternode/PoS due to centralization of coins.

For now, I think combining both PoS and PoW is the best at this time.
But of course, those with deep pockets can still hoard coins and buy more ASIC hardwares.

The reason why most of the hashing power for PoW is under the control of big companies like Bitmain is, in my opinion, because of the need of expensive mining equipment (ASIC miners). I am sure a lot of more people, me included, would love to help making the network as secure and decentralized as possible. But when you first have to make a huge invesment only to be able to mine that's something that will scare away a lot of people.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 104
GoMeat - Digitalizing Meat Stores - ICO
In mining, electricity plays a very big role, as it has a huge effect on the payout or profit the miner goes home with. Owing to the fact PoS tends to be energy efficient, I think it will be the future of mining.
Just like many individuals, am waiting for ETH to make the move.
Activity: 185
Merit: 0
well we'll see what it will do ethereum and maybe other crypto hang out on this world also because at least 51% of the coins hold it for them
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1179
There are a lot of scam PoS coins and Masternodes.
They promise you a ROI with 30 days... you can look at www.crypto-coinz.net/ for a lot of masternode coins. But you will see what I mean Wink
You should go for safe projects like Ethereum. Ethereum is not PoS currently but will be in the future, or NEO that produce GAS.
I agree that POS is the future of mining I am gearing on it, but I prefer to wait for Ethereum to go POS it's a safe investment for mining but if I can search for a good POS/MASTERNODES coins I'll definitely go for it every crypto investors should have at least an investment in mining.

Ethereum going POS will be a big deal in crypto community, many people are waiting that. POS coins are the future, at least some people say it, cause it you don`t spend so much power with staking, with mining you need a lot of power to run miners.
Dash is also POS, but you need a lot of dash to run masternod, we will see for ethereum how much coins will we need to run a masternode, probably 1000, which is more than 100k dollars for running a node.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047
There are a lot of scam PoS coins and Masternodes.
They promise you a ROI with 30 days... you can look at www.crypto-coinz.net/ for a lot of masternode coins. But you will see what I mean Wink
You should go for safe projects like Ethereum. Ethereum is not PoS currently but will be in the future, or NEO that produce GAS.
I agree that POS is the future of mining I am gearing on it, but I prefer to wait for Ethereum to go POS it's a safe investment for mining but if I can search for a good POS/MASTERNODES coins I'll definitely go for it every crypto investors should have at least an investment in mining.
Activity: 938
Merit: 501
Proof-of-Stake to me is the future of mining of cryptocurrencies because of how convenient it is. That's why these days most projects and blockchain networks are switching to that consensus protocol. Ethereum for instance got on board with this consensus mechanism when it upgraded it's network during that Constantinopole hardfork.
Merit: 310
I believe Masternodes/POS will not be the future of mining but rather they will only become a part of a multi consensus mechanism which applies several different consensus technology to make the network more secure and robust. This I think will the future of mining. Smiley
Activity: 1736
Merit: 857

In my opinion,  masternode coins are really going to take the crypto market by force.. Majority of the masternode currency are a lot  more stable in term of prices  and with proof of stake (Pos) algorithm it reduces consumption of electricity and computational power leaving room for a  greener society..

The imaginary advantage of POS is that this algorithm saves electricity. In fact, electricity should be spent, since these expenses revive the economy and increase the turnover of money. POW helps to increase the production of electricity, including alternative electricity such as solar. Means POW promotes progress.  Subsequently, this leads to a decrease in prices. POS just sucks the life out of the economy and "freezes" real money in their coins. POS does nothing for economic growth or production. POS coins can only have a highly specialized application for some specific tasks, for example as BNB for the functioning of the exchange.
Activity: 86
Merit: 4
So I started mining with GPU's bought a few asics and sold everything before the summer began (because last summer it was just not comfortable in my place with all my miners lol). I really love the idea of mining and generating coins there are so many different ways to mine. I recently got interested in masternodes it only costs me $15/mo to run 4 vps servers (vs. $500-$800/mo in electricity with POW mining) SO I know there are a lot of masternode scams and was told before I got into them to be very careful (I ended up only getting burned badly with one coin) every other coin I invested in turned out to be a pretty solid project.

SO I'm curious what does the community think will POS/masternodes phase out the physical POW mining protocol I really think there are a lot more advantages of POS over POW, what do you all think?

Smiley good day
In my opinion,  masternode coins are really going to take the crypto market by force.. Majority of the masternode currency are a lot  more stable in term of prices  and with proof of stake (Pos) algorithm it reduces consumption of electricity and computational power leaving room for a  greener society..
Activity: 588
Merit: 107
Both Masternode/PoS and PoW is prone to centralization.
PoW due to corporations owning ASIC machines
Masternode/PoS due to centralization of coins.

For now, I think combining both PoS and PoW is the best at this time.
But of course, those with deep pockets can still hoard coins and buy more ASIC hardwares.
Activity: 789
Merit: 100
Well, masternodes and pos mininf is also a risk. you also invest money to buy coins for masternodes / pos both in video cards for pow mining and if the price of a monetail collapses, then you will have to reflect the invested money for a longer time. Help only do not invest in some cheap POS coins by 10satoshi

actually, can you name one POS project that had a 51% attack?

Still, I agree that mixing POW + POS (like Decred let's say) it's usually one of the best ways to go.
but not for this reason.

specially because POS is usually : "riches gets richer".

I will give an example from my own experience. As everyone knows, Deeponion uses POW+POS. In 2017, many did staking. Developers who had much more than 50% of the coins also did so. Since they claimed that they do not have enough coins to pay for various expenses. And in deeponion, the weight depends not only on the number of coins in the wallet, but also on the length of time that the coins lie on the address. Therefore, when the developers turned on their wallet periodically after a few days (this is important, since the POS began with the block in which the wallet was turned off earlier), its huge weight produced a fork, since it was at a lower height of the block. And this happened repeatedly. All mined coins for the period when the wallet developers were not online, disappeared from the wallet. Perhaps this is a flaw in the project, but it does not matter, and the important fact is that this is an attack of 51%. And the attack, against which even POW did not save.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1113
There's no need to be upset
I totally disagree that POS or masternodes or dPOS are better than POW. POS is only an auxiliary element for greater network security. And so often do POW+POS. Pure POS coins are much more at risk of 51% attack, as the cost of such an attack is much lower than the probability of capturing 51% of the POW power on a large network. To do this, you need to buy for real money huge computing power and electricity. But to attack POS, you only need to buy coins in a period of low prices. In addition, in the POS very uneven distribution of coins and whales can always get coins "out of the air" only because once bought very cheap a lot of coins. This situation is almost in all POS networks and their varieties with masternodes or dPOS. The most fair algorithm for the distribution is POW. Also, the price of POW coins initially has a minimum formed from the cost of mining. The price of POS coins is formed only from speculation and marketing.

actually, can you name one POS project that had a 51% attack?

Still, I agree that mixing POW + POS (like Decred let's say) it's usually one of the best ways to go.
but not for this reason.

specially because POS is usually : "riches gets richer".
I totally disagree that POS or masternodes or dPOS are better than POW. POS is only an auxiliary element for greater network security. And so often do POW+POS. Pure POS coins are much more at risk of 51% attack, as the cost of such an attack is much lower than the probability of capturing 51% of the POW power on a large network. To do this, you need to buy for real money huge computing power and electricity. But to attack POS, you only need to buy coins in a period of low prices. In addition, in the POS very uneven distribution of coins and whales can always get coins "out of the air" only because once bought very cheap a lot of coins. This situation is almost in all POS networks and their varieties with masternodes or dPOS. The most fair algorithm for the distribution is POW. Also, the price of POW coins initially has a minimum formed from the cost of mining. The price of POS coins is formed only from speculation and marketing.
Merit: 310
I believe masternodes and POS maybe the current trend right now to secure networks and generate coins along with it but I'm not very sure if it will be the future of mining since many promising consensus technology and algorithms are being developed right now that could compete with them if they are proven effective and efficient over today's contemporary mining schemes and algorithms. Imho.
Activity: 434
Merit: 2
Coinsbit.io
I think Masternodes and POS mining has advantages over POW mining when it comes to caring for the environment. POS is also more convenient in use. But due to a number of economic reasons, I think that POW principle will compete for a long time with the rest of the mining methods.
I think that in the future, the cryptocurrency is likely to abandon the classic mining POW Due to high energy costs and environmental concerns. That is why Vitalik Buterin is going to transfer Ethereum from POW to POS.
Activity: 994
Merit: 260
I think Masternodes and POS mining has advantages over POW mining when it comes to caring for the environment. POS is also more convenient in use. But due to a number of economic reasons, I think that POW principle will compete for a long time with the rest of the mining methods.
Pages:
Jump to: