Pages:
Author

Topic: Maximum role of Government? - page 12. (Read 28705 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 103
July 13, 2011, 10:25:06 PM
Do or do not citizens have the financial power to influence big business, namely to keep big business from turning tyrannical?

In theory, they do, but they don't have the unity, or collective organization, or motivation to make it happen. A government does, however, if some fraction of the citizens convince the government to.

They're also missing another key factor: information.  Big business has a massive information advantage.

And, in fact, this is exactly what a proper government is.  It is citizens united to give themselves collective bargaining power against those entities more powerful than themselves.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 13, 2011, 10:12:51 PM
Who, do you think, will be better able to pay for lobbyists, the coal-burning power company, or the citizens?
Do or do not citizens have the financial power to influence big business, namely to keep big business from turning tyrannical?

Better able does not mean that one group is unable, merely that the other group is able to afford it easier.

They do. Market competition is the more efficient method, but sure, by passing up just one meal a week, they can get together and get their own lobbyist.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
July 13, 2011, 10:09:37 PM

In theory, they do, but they don't have the unity, or collective organization, or motivation to make it happen. A government does, however, if some fraction of the citizens convince the government to.
July 13, 2011, 10:05:40 PM
You then did a complete 180 degree turn in this thread and claimed that citizens united would never have the power to overcome the influence of a coal burning power company.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying they shouldn't have to.

Um, no, actually, this is exactly what you said:

Who, do you think, will be better able to pay for lobbyists, the coal-burning power company, or the citizens?

You said nothing about "shouldn't have to."  You simply came up with the retort that citizens don't have the financial power to influence big business, which is true, but that's not what you said previously.

July 13, 2011, 10:02:01 PM
You then did a complete 180 degree turn in this thread and claimed that citizens united would never have the power to overcome the influence of a coal burning power company.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying they shouldn't have to. The politicians are there ostensibly to represent their interests. That's what they're being paid for. If they're not doing it, why should the people have to hire someone to buy back the politicians?

In the place of that blatantly corrupt system, I am proposing a free market on environmental regulation, in which the people directly hire a standards organization to keep the companies in line, and because there isn't just one organization, they would compete for business, and the one that did the best job (kept the companies in line, didn't get bought out, etc) would survive, and be kept on its feet by the lesser agencies.
Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
July 13, 2011, 09:54:38 PM
Do citizens have power over big business or does big business have power over citizens?

It depends, are we talking about a libertarian society or the current fascist one?
July 13, 2011, 09:54:05 PM
AnCap model: Pay power company. Pay standards agency to keep power company in line. Other standards agencies keep yours in line via competition.

It's not at all clear to me that there will be consistent enforcement or enough payment to the standards agency(s) for them to keep the power company in line. Nor is it clear to me that the standards agencies aren't subject to bribery by the power companies.

Furthermore, as evident by your general lack of interest in the details and complexities of global and local environmental issues, I can only assume that there are others like you, and that doesn't bode well for your model, from my point of view.

I've offered you quite a bit of reading material. And I took you up on your offer to investigate The Tragedy of the Commons. Why do you reject the material I have offered you?
July 13, 2011, 09:52:30 PM
If citizens can overcome a private security company, why can they not overcome a coal plant company?

I think the deafening silence of his answer is testimony to the rhetorical nature of the question. Clearly he tacitly admits the persuasiveness of your logic, and chooses to deflect said admission by insisting on the importance of other statements he has made, which incidentally, are typically devoid of any sound explanation of his ideology.

Firstly, The idiot can't even keep my arguments straight. I never said anything about 'Citizens overcoming a private security company' Second, I've already explained all I intend to.

I don't think you can keep your position straight.

You said in another argument with JA that citizens united (through funding of a defense company) would be more than capable of overcoming a crime organization (which is just a security company whose actions you don't agree with) because even a large, powerful organization with lots of guns cannot match a public body.

So which is it?  Do citizens have power over big business or does big business have power over citizens?
July 13, 2011, 09:45:05 PM
If citizens can overcome a private security company, why can they not overcome a coal plant company?

I think the deafening silence of his answer is testimony to the rhetorical nature of the question. Clearly he tacitly admits the persuasiveness of your logic, and chooses to deflect said admission by insisting on the importance of other statements he has made, which incidentally, are typically devoid of any sound explanation of his ideology.

Firstly, The idiot can't even keep my arguments straight. I never said anything about 'Citizens overcoming a private security company' Second, I've already explained all I intend to.

Government model: Pay power company. Pay government to keep power company in line. Pay lobbyist to keep government in line
AnCap model: Pay power company. Pay standards agency to keep power company in line. Other standards agencies keep yours in line via competition.

It's pretty clear which one would be cheaper.
July 13, 2011, 09:44:22 PM

I feel like I'm arguing with a preschooler that keeps retorting with, "I know you are, but what am I!?"
July 13, 2011, 09:37:01 PM

July 13, 2011, 09:32:56 PM
I already told you. If you don't have the reading comprehension, or the math ability to figure out that paying for three services instead of two is more expensive, I can't help you.

LOL

I'll let you figure out why that's such a dumb statement.

You mean you'll finally shut the hell up? Wonders never cease.

I'm going to ask my question again, because it's still not being answered.  I'll even repost the explanation from my previous post about how to give a good answer.

Fuck. You lied.

Do you want me to post it again?  Ok, I will.  Copy/pasta is easy.

I thought you were going to let me figure out why that was a dumb statement? When does that happen, exactly?
July 13, 2011, 09:19:36 PM
I already told you. If you don't have the reading comprehension, or the math ability to figure out that paying for three services instead of two is more expensive, I can't help you.

LOL

I'm going to ask my question again, because it's still not being answered.  I'll even repost the explanation from my previous post about how to give a good answer.

Fuck. You lied.

Do you want me to post it again?  Ok, I will.  Copy/pasta is easy.

What do housing and food have to do with anything?  Even if they're relevant, why do housing and food spending prevent them from overcoming the power of a coal plant, but do not prevent them from overcoming the power of a security firm?  Do citizens not have to eat and have rooves over their heads if fighting against a security firm?

Here is my question for the third time.  I think you quite misunderstand it.  Please read it very carefully.  We're comparing two separate (yet functionally identical) situtations, one of which you've said will have an opposite outcome of the other.  I'd like to know your reasoning for that.

July 13, 2011, 09:18:03 PM
But not proving that the system we have is any better. (or do you propose a different system entirely? I was never too sure on that.)

The system we have in place is far from perfect. You'll get no argument from me there. However, given the choice between your system, our current system, or a system that goes in the opposite direction as yours, I'd lean towards the latter two. But let's just say I opt to stay with the current system. It would then appear that I am under less pressure to argue the merits of my system than yours. The point being, that in order for you to affect the radical changes you desire, the burden falls upon you to make a cogent case for those changes.

You are being asked to make a compelling argument for the changes you desire, and admitting flaws in your proposed system and choosing not to address them will not work.
July 13, 2011, 09:10:02 PM

LOL

Fuck. You lied.
July 13, 2011, 09:07:59 PM

LOL

What do housing and food have to do with anything?  Even if they're relevant, why do housing and food spending prevent them from overcoming the power of a coal plant, but do not prevent them from overcoming the power of a security firm?  Do citizens not have to eat and have rooves over their heads if fighting against a security firm?

Here is my question for the third time.  I think you quite misunderstand it.  Please read it very carefully.  We're comparing two separate (yet functionally identical) situtations, one of which you've said will have an opposite outcome of the other.  I'd like to know your reasoning for that.

July 13, 2011, 09:07:01 PM
Showing possible flaws in my suggestion does not back up your claims that a monopoly is better. Try harder.

Why should I try harder? Your statement seems to be acknowledging possible flaws in your system already.

But not proving that the system we have is any better. (or do you propose a different system entirely? I was never too sure on that.)
July 13, 2011, 09:04:54 PM
Showing possible flaws in my suggestion does not back up your claims that a monopoly is better. Try harder.

Why should I try harder? Your statement seems to be acknowledging possible flaws in your system already.
July 13, 2011, 09:04:35 PM

LOL

July 13, 2011, 09:01:58 PM

LOL

Pages:
Jump to: