Pages:
Author

Topic: Meanwhile on Wikipedia... - page 6. (Read 9964 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
December 13, 2012, 02:25:17 PM
legendary
December 13, 2012, 02:23:30 PM
. . . But absolutely it's legitimate to be in the table of currencies . . .
Most here would agree with you that Bitcoin is a currency, but there may be room for discussion as to what the "base" unit is and what the relative value is of that base unit.

If the "Satoshi" (the smallest integer unit of represented value in a transaction) is considered the base unit, then calling 1 BTC a "currency unit" would be like calling a Franklin (U.S. $100 bill) a "currency unit".  They are both just names for a multiple of the base unit.

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list. Yet.

The base unit of a dollar is a cent, but the chart doesn't utilize that unit. It is listing the nominal unit of the currency. Bitcoin may be divisible to eight decimal places, but 1 btc is the standard currency unit, just as 1 usd.
As I said, I think there is room for discussion on that.  Perhaps the Satoshi is the nominal unit, and we simply use the "Bitcoin" nickname for ease of use when we are dealing with exceptionally large quantities.  If inflation drives prices up until every thing we buy costs over 1000 USD, and we all start talking in terms of "grand", ("Sure, you can have a diet coke, that'll be 3.5 grand.") does that make the "grand" the nominal unit?
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1004
December 13, 2012, 02:22:54 PM

hey. some ashole put Cosbycoin on top. what a nonsense.

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3103/4vx6o43g_gif.htm
legendary
Activity: 1946
December 13, 2012, 02:15:14 PM
I love the "no central authority" thing

yeah. thats so grrrrrr.  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
December 13, 2012, 02:03:04 PM
Most here would agree with you that Bitcoin is a currency, but there may be room for discussion as to what the "base" unit is and what the relative value is of that base unit.

If the "Satoshi" (the smallest integer unit of represented value in a transaction) is considered the base unit, then calling 1 BTC a "currency unit" would be like calling a Franklin (U.S. $100 bill) a "currency unit".  They are both just names for a multiple of the base unit.

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list. Yet.

The base unit of a dollar is a cent, but the chart doesn't utilize that unit. It is listing the nominal unit of the currency. Bitcoin may be divisible to eight decimal places, but 1 btc is the standard currency unit, just as 1 usd.
legendary
Activity: 924
Firstbits: 1pirata
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003
December 13, 2012, 01:58:21 PM
I like "Stateless Protocol." Sounds like Skynet.

No, it simply sounds like HTTP (to a dev's ear).
Yeah, it was supposed to be a play on words.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
December 13, 2012, 01:43:30 PM

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list.

And that's exactly why it is a meaningless list, as Evorhees mentioned above.  We're only playing along with the meaninglessness of it.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
December 13, 2012, 01:42:11 PM

No, it simply sounds like HTTP (to a dev's ear).
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
December 13, 2012, 01:41:59 PM

Do you think "Stateless" sounds better or worse? Or "Stateless Protocol?"

I'm fine with "no central authority", i was really saying that i love it.
legendary
December 13, 2012, 01:39:58 PM

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
December 13, 2012, 01:35:49 PM

No.  I think stateless is largely a useless term to many people.  It could just mean that whatever it is that is stateless is still under federal guidance/regulation/authority.  Or a stateless government might mean that there are no state-like subdivisions within the governmental hierarchy.
legendary
Activity: 1050
December 13, 2012, 01:32:08 PM

legendary
Activity: 1078
December 13, 2012, 01:31:34 PM

Yeah me too  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
December 13, 2012, 01:21:10 PM
legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution
December 13, 2012, 01:16:57 PM
However, adding Bitcoin to the top of the list (with no references) is pretty much begging for deletion.
Well then add a reference to Mt. Gox. It definitely should be at the top of the list though. Although in terms of how large the Bitcoin economy is, many other currencies are much larger and have a much larger number of units in circulation. Of course you might say bitcoin has is divisible down to many small units, but you must keep in mind that the important thing is the value of those units proportionate to the number in circulation.
legendary
December 13, 2012, 01:12:35 PM
I don't know anything about editing Wikipedia... if it should have a "reference" then yes please someone put one. But absolutely it's legitimate to be in the table of currencies. The table doesn't say "only government currencies."

legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
December 13, 2012, 01:06:39 PM
My comment:

I think the better tactical move would be to create a new paragraph discussing "Other Currencies", including Bitcoin, along with well sourced references.

Bitcoin has - as a matter of fact - been the highest valued currency in the world for about 12 months or so.
However, adding Bitcoin to the top of the list (with no references) is pretty much begging for deletion.

[Disclaimer: I am not a Wikipedian.]
legendary
December 13, 2012, 12:57:09 PM
There's a Reddit thread about this... thought you guys would enjoy  Grin

Bitcoin tops the Wikipedia list of highest valued currency unit. This is actually a meaningless/arbitrary indicator, as it's only a matter of notation, but still this makes me smile Smiley What's far more important is the relative change in these values over time, and Bitcoin, in just four years, has gone from being worth far less than a penny to now over $13 USD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-valued_currency_unit
Pages:
Jump to: