Pages:
Author

Topic: Melted Molex/Sata Adapter Riser...Is My Setup Safe? - page 2. (Read 1569 times)

Activity: 178
Merit: 12
Use the Molex cable that is on the power supply directly. that should work fine.
Activity: 258
Merit: 104
Running those cards I suggest throw away the sata adaptors and don't use risers with a sata power connection either.  You might get away with it using a lesser powered card (though I still don't recommend it) but really you need to stick with molex and pcie connectors if you using a 250 watt card.
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
As far as I can see the default power limit for FE 1080 Ti cards is 250 watts but they can be pushed to 300 watts (source).

Now, some numbers on different cables:

A 8 pin connection going straight into the GPU can provide 150 watts and 6-pin can do 75 watts so the card can get 225 watts straight from the PSU.

Molex connectors should handle 11 amps with a 30°C increase so 132 watts. That can be already pretty hot to touch especially if a connection is not that great.

Sata on the other hand can only do 54 watts as it has 3 x 1.5A pins for 12V.

PCI-E x1 can deliver 25 watts and PCI-E x16 can do 75 watts. This is why we use powered risers as the x1 can't provide enough power for the GPU.

With the numbers given it should be clear that you shouldn't put more than 1 card per cable in case you're running them at 100%+ power. And different cards can also have different limits in their BIOS for how much they're allowed to pull through PCI-E.

I used to have melted Sata>Molex cables when I used 2-3 GTX 750 Ti per cable (60 watts each) and those cards had no extra 6-pin. The 6-pin models at the Molex were cold as they could pull the same power through PCI-E.

So I put all cards on different cables which completely eliminated the heat.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Hi All,

I currently use a Lepa 1600G connected to x4 usb riser cards (molex>sata).

x4 gtx 1080 TI Founders Ed.

Just noticed that some of the Molex>sata adapters started to deform from being overheated. I feel like a fire is about to break out every time I leave the house.

Then I read some posts about never using the these adapters. Also, read this thread here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/burning-psu-cable-1752689

This guy has the same Lepa I do with the same cables. I seem to be getting conflicted info about not using Sata chains but Phil on the thread recommends using it via sata risers.

Thinking of connecting the Molex chain direct from PSU Peripheral to the risers (same one burned in that thread). 2 risers per cable. My 1080 TI is also connected via both 6 pin and 8 pin ( same cable splits).

Can anybody let me know if this is a safe setup?

Or if There's any other alternatives I'd like to know.
Pages:
Jump to: