Pages:
Author

Topic: Melted the PSU cable and riser adaptor... - page 2. (Read 393 times)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
Hi,

I have a 4 GPU Ethereum rig which i've been running for a year and replaced the PSU risers about 4 months ago.
I use the SATA to 6 PIN PCIE and VER 006C riser boards. I had replaced them from Molex to 6 pin 4 months ago.

I noticed one of my cards kept shutting down and the rig needed rebooted about weekly, thought it was just that GPU getting old. Until a couple days ago when it failed to run.

Now I see the problem... the PSU cable at the SATA adaptor has melted, so much so there is now bare copper visible in the PSU cable and the
plastic housing at the connection of SATA to PSU is deformed and the gold connector plates in the adaptor also fried. Yikes..

So that's the PSU dead and that riser adaptor also dead. Frustratingly expensive now to replace the whole PSU because it is not modular and
with bare copper visible on one of the PSU leads I won't be turning it back on. The only good thing here is that the rig shut itself down when it
fried the connection. GPU is also still working.

What are people using these days for riser power? I thought the SATA to 6 pin was the safe option of Molex but actually I had no trouble with
molex before.

Alternatively I could get a big power supply which had 8+ 6 Pin PCIE connectors and plug the PSU direct to riser board without SATA adaptor. So the RX580 would have power from the PSU and the VER 006C also have power direct from PSU.

PSU recommendations (for 4 x RX580 ) and enough PCIE cables ?

Thanks,
Pages:
Jump to: