Pages:
Author

Topic: Mempool fees and Solutions - page 4. (Read 1128 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 10505
December 01, 2023, 07:13:00 AM
From the day Bitcoin was created.
In which criteria do we evaluate whether a transaction is beneficial, and to whom?
It is not about being beneficial, it is about using Bitcoin how it is supposed to be used.
It is trivial to recognize transactions that aren't. Any transaction that is injecting an arbitrary data into the chain by exploiting the protocol is abusive.

Bitcoin should not be a cloud storage, not because it is somewhat disturbing to the nodes of the network, but because it is extremely inefficient and expensive. But, the protocol is designed in such a way that fundamentally allows storage of information beyond financial. Even if you completely disable everything that can be exploited, and therefore negate every future potential softfork, information can still be stored as chunks of 160 or 256 bits.
As I told you elsewhere, abuse is not 100% preventive but it is and should be made difficult. In this example of yours if the abusers are limited to only 20 to 30 bytes, we've already succeeded in preventing abuse to a great deal.

Consider the implications of your argument. You suggest disabling op codes or introducing similar limits that permit the "exploit" of Bitcoin as cloud storage but advocate for allowing information storage through other means. This contradicts your initial statement, where the goal is to prevent Ordinals from being used to store arbitrary data.
I'm not suggesting disabling of anything, least of all OP codes. I'm saying the size restrictions that existed in Bitcoin before SegWit and before specifically witness version 1, in form of both consensus and standard rules have to be applied again.

If you think that we are all "forcing" our gigabytes of transactions down your throat, then you should not be running a node.
Not transactions, but arbitrary data that is injected by exploiting the protocol.

the equal treatment of all transactions.
Correction: The equal treatment of all transactions that are transferring bitcoin not transactions that are exploiting the protocol and treating bitcoin as cloud storage which is against the principle of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
December 01, 2023, 06:07:12 AM
From the day Bitcoin was created.
In which criteria do we evaluate whether a transaction is beneficial, and to whom?

It is abuse. Bitcoin is not cloud storage. From day one it was created to be a payment system with a blockchain that acts as the ledger for those payments.
Bitcoin should not be a cloud storage, not because it is somewhat disturbing to the nodes of the network, but because it is extremely inefficient and expensive. But, the protocol is designed in such a way that fundamentally allows storage of information beyond financial. Even if you completely disable everything that can be exploited, and therefore negate every future potential softfork, information can still be stored as chunks of 160 or 256 bits.

Consider the implications of your argument. You suggest disabling op codes or introducing similar limits that permit the "exploit" of Bitcoin as cloud storage but advocate for allowing information storage through other means. This contradicts your initial statement, where the goal is to prevent Ordinals from being used to store arbitrary data.

Did Warhol come to your home and force his "art" down your throat or nail them to your walls by force?
This is a sad interpretation of the Bitcoin network. If you think that we are all "forcing" our gigabytes of transactions down your throat, then you should not be running a node. For a network of that kind to work harmoniously, we need to make compromises. The initial compromise to acknowledge is the equal treatment of all transactions.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
December 01, 2023, 04:48:19 AM
Imagine we should pay 19sat/byte and TX size should be less than 500bytes
The minimum fee rate for being eligible to use their free accelerator is 10 sat/byte. That would be around 16-19 sat/vbyte depending on number of native segwit inputs and outputs.

My bad, Grammarly corrected vbyte into byte. Roll Eyes
and have to wait 6-12 hrs.
ViaBTC has around 11% of the total hash rate and it's estimated that they mine block 1 block in every ∼110 minutes on average.

I tried a couple of times to accelerate transactions and you are right they mine 13 blocks per 24 hours on an average

https://mempool.space/mining/pool/viabtc

But it doesn't mean that the transaction that is submitted for acceleration doesn't necessarily mean they will be included in the next block they mine, in those two times the TX was accelerated after 7-8 hrs after submission mean while they at least got 3-4 blocks mined already.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
December 01, 2023, 03:35:36 AM
Imagine we should pay 19sat/byte and TX size should be less than 500bytes
The minimum fee rate for being eligible to use their free accelerator is 10 sat/byte. That would be around 16-19 sat/vbyte depending on number of native segwit inputs and outputs.

and have to wait 6-12 hrs.
ViaBTC has around 11% of the total hash rate and it's estimated that they mine block 1 block in every ∼110 minutes on average.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
December 01, 2023, 03:06:45 AM

Pay 11 sats per byte not per v/byte--- at the moment this would never ever ever clear. other than using viabtc service and wait for via btc to hit a block look for your tx in it.

Viabtc free transaction is not worth, to be honest,

Imagine we should pay 19sat/byte and TX size should be less than 500bytes then we need to rush to submit txid before 100 queue gets filled which usually takes 90 secs in a situation like these and have to wait 6-12 hrs.

I would just pay the fee even if it's 40sat/vb and get my tx included in the next block.

If it goes crazy high then just halt it for a while.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 10505
December 01, 2023, 01:46:23 AM
The reason pooya wants this thing banned isn't to protect them from their foolishness, but to lower the transaction fees.
Lower transaction fee will be a side product not the reason.
The reason why I want the Ordinals Attack be stopped is because it is exploiting the protocol and is abusing the system.

When did the Bitcoin community start evaluating whether a transaction is "beneficial" before deeming it valid or invalid? Beneficial to whom?
From the day Bitcoin was created. And why do people insist on making this about "benefit" and "usefulness" of the garbage? It is abuse. Bitcoin is not cloud storage. From day one it was created to be a payment system with a blockchain that acts as the ledger for those payments. When people use it to store arbitrary data (regardless of what that data is) it is considered abuse and should be prevented.

quite frankly you are deciding it has no value.
It has a lot of value and they are storing the "cure for cancer" on bitcoin blockchain. Is that good?
Now it should still be stopped because bitcoin is not cloud storage Smiley

I hated Andy Warhol's Campbell soup series back in the 60's I was a kid but I used to go to the metropolitan museum of art often as a family outing. I liked the Italian Renaissance painter and realism. I thought Warhol was trash and garbage.

Pretty loft opinions for a 10 year old Italian American from Brooklyn.

Well I turned out to be completely wrong about Andy Warhol.

So in that spirit I am just saying who the fuck are you or who the fuck is anyone to say it will be worthless in the year 2056 or 2066.
Did Warhol come to your home and force his "art" down your throat or nail them to your walls by force? Smiley
No they made a special place to showcase that "art" and you could choose to go there if you wanted to. That's the same with Bitcoin. We already have special cryptocurrencies that act as cloud storage (like filecoin) we also already have special cryptocurrencies made for token creation (like ethereum) and we have bitcoin that is a payment system.

... and yet people insist on forcing us to change the utility of bitcoin, one of its fundamental characteristics which is to be a payment system and change Bitcoin to be a cloud storage!!!
Honestly, that has to be stopped.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
November 30, 2023, 05:17:43 PM
I say everyone has the freedom to burn their money.

That's true, however I agree with @pooya87 in this: it's all about greed. Many of those people don't comprehend they are burning their money, they think they invest it into something others will buy very expensive someday soon.

quite frankly you are deciding it has no value.

who the fuck are you to do that?

I say this in the spirit of friendship not meanness.

I hated Andy Warhol's Campbell soup series back in the 60's I was a kid but I used to go to the metropolitan museum of art often as a family outing. I liked the Italian Renaissance painter and realism. I thought Warhol was trash and garbage.

Pretty loft opinions for a 10 year old Italian American from Brooklyn.

Well I turned out to be completely wrong about Andy Warhol.

So in that spirit I am just saying who the fuck are you or who the fuck is anyone to say it will be worthless in the year 2056 or 2066.

Back to the real issue. Scrypt makes 12 blocks every 10 minutes sha256 makes 1

so LTC/Doge are 12x better to move small moves.

ordinals may be how they are doing this now. They will find other ways to do it later.

the 12x to 1 volume advantage is not being addressed which is why ordinals are doing a job at the moment.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
November 30, 2023, 04:22:15 PM
And I think that you're exaggerating a little.
Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it is for the good. I'm pretty confident we can fight this Ordinal wave of transactions by just setting these as non-standard (without even invalidating them on a protocol level with softfork). I doubt there will still be demand, but what if there is? We frequently notice people who are obsessed with the idea of injecting their data in the blockchain.

I'm generally opposed with ideas that delay the problems instead of solving them. That's probably why I'm in favor of developing second layer solutions instead of just messing with the block size limit. Same applies for Ordinals, more or less. If you impose a tapscript size limit, or any other such, for the sole reason of delaying Ordinals, then I'll oppose it.

I agree that certain limitations are necessary.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
November 30, 2023, 03:26:15 PM
... But I will still continue: how about the feature that allows the ordinals? Is it really useful, compared with the "disturbance" it causes?
Depends on which feature. Tapscript? Yeah, it is useful.  Tongue

There is a limitation which can be imposed, such as "Tapscripts above X size are invalid", but we're just starting to bury ourselves there. Why? Well, it might put an end in Ordinals, sure. But, it might as well not. The system is designed in such a way that Ordinal transactions can be made indistinguishable from regular transactions. Meanwhile, we will have enabled censorship, or at the very least moved one step forwards to that direction. Let's avoid that, please.

Now we start getting somewhere.
I don't know the internals as good as you, but at a first look, a "common sense" size for the script could be for the good.
And I think that you're exaggerating a little. After all, some could say that 1MB blocks are also censorship. Yes, now I am exaggerating, but in order to try to prove a point: limitations can help in preserving sanity. You can call it censorship and you'll be right, still... in some cases it can be useful (the limitation and its benefits, not the censorship per se).
legendary
Farewell, Leo
November 30, 2023, 03:19:29 PM
... But I will still continue: how about the feature that allows the ordinals? Is it really useful, compared with the "disturbance" it causes?
Depends on which feature. Tapscript? Yeah, it is useful.  Tongue

There is a limitation which can be imposed, such as "Tapscripts above X size are invalid", but we're just starting to bury ourselves there. Why? Well, it might put an end in Ordinals, sure. But, it might as well not. The system is designed in such a way that Ordinal transactions can be made indistinguishable from regular transactions. Meanwhile, we will have enabled censorship, or at the very least moved one step forwards to that direction. Let's avoid that, please.
legendary
November 30, 2023, 03:09:25 PM
To treat all transactions equally, that's what's beneficial.

You do have a valid point here.

legendary
Farewell, Leo
November 30, 2023, 02:59:53 PM
I mean, dumb or not, is this ordinals business beneficial to Bitcoin and its network?
When did the Bitcoin community start evaluating whether a transaction is "beneficial" before deeming it valid or invalid? Beneficial to whom? I do not recall agreeing to any Terms of Use that restrict me from conducting a transaction deemed morally unacceptable by certain individuals or requiring it to be "beneficial" for a specific group. Quite the contrary, I joined this space due to that big "Censorship Resistance in here" sign.

To treat all transactions equally, that's what's beneficial.
legendary
November 30, 2023, 02:49:58 PM
Greed is human.

I really can't argue that.

Everyone is responsible for their actions.

This can be somewhat debatable (not everybody is mature, and I don't talk about the 18 years limit). However, let's not go too much off topic, in most cases you're correct.

The reason pooya wants this thing banned isn't to protect them from their foolishness, but to lower the transaction fees.

Well, this is (sadly?) my point too. At least to a certain extent.
I mean, dumb or not, is this ordinals business beneficial to Bitcoin and its network? I tend to believe it's not. And if so, why allow it with so much benevolence?
If it is beneficial, then, yeah, I am wrong and this logic too.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
November 30, 2023, 02:32:30 PM
That's true, however I agree with @pooya87 in this: it's all about greed. Many of those people don't comprehend they are burning their money, they think they invest it into something others will buy very expensive someday soon.
And many of the gamblers don't know they are wasting time and money either, but fortunately, we live in a world where you have the freedom to do that. I mean, why couldn't you? People do all sorts of nonsense with their money all the time. They throw coins in fountains, gamble, buy designer brands, shitcoins, cigarettes, accumulate excessive debts, the list is endless. And again, people should not be treated as sheep. Just because someone is under the impression they can make money by selling jpeg rocks, who am I to stop them? Everyone is responsible for their actions and pays for their mistakes. Greed is human.

legendary
November 30, 2023, 12:38:40 PM

legendary
Farewell, Leo
November 30, 2023, 12:02:23 PM
Or the other solution is to wait and wish for the scam market where they rip people off with the junk they inject into the blockchain to die.
You have to understand that people are voluntarily doing this. They know what they're putting themselves into; meaningless, digital trash. And they do it, because they think they are smart to resell it in a higher price. Everyone involved in this scheme is equally guilty. I can't blame a small group of Ordinal fans, because that'd be unfair. The buyers are conscious of their decisions, they should not be treated as sheep.

Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
November 30, 2023, 11:00:43 AM
A paid accelerator is better if you can afford the cost because it has more benefits and options.  
Paid transaction accelerators are expensive and isn't really recommended, if you use a paid service you may end up spending more than you would have spent if you had attached an appropriate fee before broadcasting your transaction or if you use rbf to replace your transaction with another one paying a more appropriate fee for fast confirmation.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
November 30, 2023, 10:56:59 AM
Here are the viable solutions that I have found to be working till date:
1. Use an altcoin for the time being. LTC, DOGE are good options if you dont want to stretch it.
2. Use SegWit if not already and learn how to use the Lightning Network along with its arguments and counter-arguments. There is a lot of pro/anti voice surrounding LN in this forum.
3. Just wait it out - might not be feasible for everyone though.
4. ViaBTC accelerator is the only working one.

In this context I would like to raise a question on how do you confirm that an accelerator service actually helped your transaction speedup or was it just a placebo effect? The second one has been exploited by certain unscrupulous users of this forum essentially extorting users of money by doing nothing in the name of speeding up transactions - their prevalence has dropped but they still operate and we need some concrete argument to stop them once and for all.

Well it is simple use viabtc free service correctly .

which means under 500kb size
which means 2 inputs or 1 input

Pay 11 sats per byte not per v/byte--- at the moment this would never ever ever clear. other than using viabtc service and wait for via btc to hit a block look for your tx in it.

it works. all others are bullshit.

I have pushed hundred of them free on viabtc since 2016.

Activity: 686
Merit: 987
Give all before death
November 30, 2023, 10:27:22 AM
Is there a way to know if the ordinals traffic will be low in the coming days and the mempool fee will decrease?
https://ordiscan.com/ does not tell such prediction or data.

What is the solution to this probelm other than to hold our transaction (if we can) and wait for a suitable time when the mempool fees are low again. I remember I used to see only 2 or 3 sat/vbyte two months back. Such low fees seem to be a dream these days.
Prediction when the traffic will be low might not be possible but the price has started decreasing gradually. If the transaction you want to carry out is not urgent, you can wait for a few days because the end of this ordinal bullshit might be in sight. Observing the mempool could be another to see if the transaction fee is low at a given time.   

Now as for free accelerators, ViaBTC is the only one that is working, if you can successfully submit your tx to be accelerated by them amidst the current congestion, with too many people also waiting to use the free service, you can be sure they accelerated your tx because it would be in the next block that they mine. It may be worth mentioning that if someone wants to use a paid accelerating service for any reason, then ViaBTC offers one, and you can be sure it works.
Using the free accelerating service by ViaBTC is limited. One can only accelerate transactions with at least 0.0001BTC/KB transaction fees and it will only handle transactions with a volume ≤0.5 KB. Using this free service can also be slow since only a hundred transactions are carried out in an hour. A paid accelerator is better if you can afford the cost because it has more benefits and options. 
Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
November 30, 2023, 08:45:11 AM
The second point is exactly what is happening to many users out there. If they are not showing which pool they are working with and just rebroadcast the transaction they are essentially running a scam. However more work needs to be done from our side to shine such scammers without any loophole and outcast them from the forum.
To begin with, using a paid tx accelerator doesn't even make much sense to me, it is expensive and you can use the money to either pay an appropriate fee or bump your tx with rbf, so i can recommend that people should not really use paid accelerators.

Now as for free accelerators, ViaBTC is the only one that is working, if you can successfully submit your tx to be accelerated by them amidst the current congestion, with too many people also waiting to use the free service, you can be sure they accelerated your tx because it would be in the next block that they mine. It may be worth mentioning that if someone wants to use a paid accelerating service for any reason, then ViaBTC offers one, and you can be sure it works.
Pages:
Jump to: