Pages:
Author

Topic: Merge Mine FRC - Start a bounty? - page 2. (Read 3530 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
January 03, 2013, 07:20:53 PM
Yes FRC is already highly vulnerable to being attacked, so whats the difference? The difference is that you can have big bitcoin miners PROTECTING the chain at the same time. Sounds like there might be some other reasons why people wouldn't want to merge-mine. Perhaps pump and dump??!?!?!?!?!

I say lets Merge Mine! It's security and stability.

I want to merge mine as soon as possible as well. But the attackers could attack while mining bitcoin, so is basically free for them. Now they can attack, but at the opportunity cost of not mining bitcoin. If you're a pool operator, you don't have to tell your users you're attacking another chain with your hashing power (yes, you could get keep all the coins to yourself too), but you can't make your users stop mining bitcoin only to make your attack.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
January 03, 2013, 06:35:17 PM
You also make it trivially easy (no-cost) for any large mining pool operator to kill the coin, and completely change the economics of coin minting. This is something which requires understanding and approval from the relevant stakeholders (everyone currently using the currency).

Why would anyone care to kill it? At that point BTC miners would just be accumulating coins, like Namecoin.

lol the same reason bbqcoin and others have been attacked

Yes FRC is already highly vulnerable to being attacked, so whats the difference? The difference is that you can have big bitcoin miners PROTECTING the chain at the same time. Sounds like there might be some other reasons why people wouldn't want to merge-mine. Perhaps pump and dump??!?!?!?!?!

I say lets Merge Mine! It's security and stability.
legendary
Activity: 1118
January 03, 2013, 06:33:13 PM
You also make it trivially easy (no-cost) for any large mining pool operator to kill the coin, and completely change the economics of coin minting. This is something which requires understanding and approval from the relevant stakeholders (everyone currently using the currency).

Why would anyone care to kill it? At that point BTC miners would just be accumulating coins, like Namecoin.

lol the same reason bbqcoin and others have been attacked
legendary
January 03, 2013, 06:29:17 PM

"This is something which requires understanding and approval from the relevant stakeholders (everyone currently using the currency)"

So FRC requires every person using the currency to get anything done? Wow. That's horribly inefficient.

legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1011
January 03, 2013, 06:19:48 PM
legendary
January 03, 2013, 05:59:08 PM
Any marge-mined variant of FRC would be a fork, and the blocks mined would be orphaned from the main chain, and anyone transacting on both chains would be in danger of having their coins stolen.

There has been discussion on IRC, our forums, and elsewhere on the subject of merged mining, and do intent to fully support at the appropriate time. Here is the current plan for merge-mining, accepted by most of the core contributors (jtimon being an outlier):

A generalized merge mining patchset will be applied, with merge mining disabled. In parallel, a system will be implemented for proof-of-work and proof-of-stake voting (something we want for other purposes anyway). A trigger will be coded into the codebase such that if a majority of miners and a sufficient plurality of stakeholders vote for merged mining, it will be enabled. This is similar to the proof-of-stake voting for the rollout of P2SH in the bitcoin network (another hard-fork).

If you want merge mining enabled for freicoin, I suggest devoting your efforts to this path. It would allow input from miners and stakeholders, and prevent unilateral action that might further divide the community.

When is the appropriate time? Why not do it sooner rather then later- you run less risk of a costly error, and you secure the network early on. Make sense no? Can't see any negatives.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1011
January 03, 2013, 05:46:38 PM
Any marge-mined variant of FRC would be a fork, and the blocks mined would be orphaned from the main chain, and anyone transacting on both chains would be in danger of having their coins stolen.

There has been discussion on IRC, our forums, and elsewhere on the subject of merged mining, and do intent to fully support at the appropriate time. Here is the current plan for merge-mining, accepted by most of the core contributors (jtimon being an outlier):

A generalized merge mining patchset will be applied, with merge mining disabled. In parallel, a system will be implemented for proof-of-work and proof-of-stake voting (something we want for other purposes anyway). A trigger will be coded into the codebase such that if a majority of miners and a sufficient plurality of stakeholders vote for merged mining, it will be enabled. This is similar to the proof-of-stake voting for the rollout of P2SH in the bitcoin network (another hard-fork).

If you want merge mining enabled for freicoin, I suggest devoting your efforts to this path. It would allow input from miners and stakeholders, and prevent unilateral action that might further divide the community.
legendary
January 03, 2013, 05:01:55 PM
applying the MM patches should do the trick, altough everyone would have to upgrade to work (otherwise it will only produce orphans).

That's over my head to do, but someone should be able to do it without much trouble!
legendary
January 03, 2013, 05:01:36 PM
Why not Merge Mine FRC? If demurrage is going to work it should have at least the security of the bitcoin hash-power. Why not start a bounty to get someone to Merge Mine it?

I only have about 100FRC at the moment to put towards that, but gladly!

Thank you for your support on the currency! I'll add 1000 FRC to the bounty.

Actually I wanted to have merged mining from launch, but Mark (and others) convinced me that it would be very dangerous at the beginning since bitcoin miners could use the their hashing power to attack the new currency at no costs.
There was a consensus that merged mining feature should be added later when the hashing power was enough for the transition to be secure. By the way, I have no idea what that hashing rate could be, so please, Namecoin historians, enlighten me.

Besides a few coin-crushings in the past, Bitcoiners really need an incentive to bother with destroying alt-coins. Most of them die on their own, and people know this. When you want to merge-mine doesn't really matter. You could start any time.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
January 03, 2013, 04:39:08 PM
applying the MM patches should do the trick, altough everyone would have to upgrade to work (otherwise it will only produce orphans).
legendary
Activity: 1372
January 03, 2013, 04:38:14 PM
Why not Merge Mine FRC? If demurrage is going to work it should have at least the security of the bitcoin hash-power. Why not start a bounty to get someone to Merge Mine it?

Thank you for your support on the currency! I'll add 1000 FRC to the bounty.

Actually I wanted to have merged mining from launch, but Mark (and others) convinced me that it would be very dangerous at the beginning since bitcoin miners could use the their hashing power to attack the new currency at no costs.
There was a consensus that merged mining feature should be added later when the hashing power was enough for the transition to be secure. By the way, I have no idea what that hashing rate could be, so please, Namecoin historians, enlighten me.
legendary
January 03, 2013, 04:35:53 PM
Wait, I'm not done solo mining yet.

You mean pumping? :-)
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 03, 2013, 04:23:24 PM
LOL!
Activity: 253
Merit: 250
January 03, 2013, 04:22:00 PM
Wait, I'm not done solo mining yet.
legendary
January 03, 2013, 04:19:07 PM

Pages:
Jump to: