Pages:
Author

Topic: Merged Mined Coins Association MeMiCA - page 4. (Read 8180 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
March 31, 2015, 03:17:19 PM
The three other traditional/ancient merged mined coins in the family are GRouPcoin (GRP), CoiLedCoin (CLC) and GeistGeld (XGG).

GeistGeld is still an interesting experiment, for example once I started trying to use Jupiter and Neptune mining rigs with p2pool I ran into a problem with GeistGeld blocks being found so fast that timeouts would occur then file handles would be exhausted.

With the Jupiter I found that if I gradually drove up the total hashing power that GeistGeld as a whole (across its whole network, not just on p2pool or my instance of p2pool) slowly to bring the difficulty up, the out of file handles errors would go away. I have not managed that yet since deploying Neptunes as I do not have enough electricity to allow me the luxury of running a few old Butterfly Labs rigs like I did in the Jupiter era. But I expect that once I get full power to my country-house I should be able to solve it the same way as before.

In theory one would imagine that setting the priority of pools sharing the mining power of a Neptune would let you gradually ramp up the amount hitting the p2pool, or the amount hitting a standalone GeistGeld, or whatever; but in practice not only does the Neptune's panel only offer priorities of 0 through 9 but also it is not even clear whether priority nine gets nine times as much hash power as priority one.

Basically the root of the problem seems to be not merely the speed of the blocks but also the dearth of miners. With very few miners running very few Neptunes, and before the Neptunes arrived only very few miners running very few Jupiters, each Neptune that starts mining it makes a big difference. The problem should thus go away once many miners using many Neptunes and the like have added it into their merge.

p2pool itself though seems to have problems dealing with Neptunes. When my first Neptune arrived I could only see one terahash from it, instead of the expected three point four terahashes, even qwhen only merging the slow-block coins. (That is, it was p2pool giving trouble not e.g. GeistGeld or other fast block coins in the merge.)

What other merged mining software is available as free open source, in particular, something fast enough to deal with Neptune mining rigs?

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166
March 31, 2015, 02:23:58 PM
Also note that I (somewhat on purpose) also kept / keep the auxpow-related stuff in a separate branch from Namecoin proper.  I. e., it is a branch of Bitcoin Core (up-to-date with almost the latest upstream commits) that only adds auxpow, including proper unit- and regression tests.  I think that this could definitely be useful to other coins.  For instance, I also spotted (and fixed) some issues (memory leaks, for instance) in the getauxblock code used by Dogecoin and probably others.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
March 31, 2015, 10:21:37 AM
The Namecoin developers are generally interested.

Note that domob rebased Namecoin to the current Bitcoin version: https://github.com/namecoin/namecore
Activity: 185
Merit: 759
March 31, 2015, 07:17:24 AM

Merged Mined Coins Association
MeMiCA

The following is a public proposal to establish an association taking care
to develop, update and spread info about coins merged mined with Bitcoin

The main coins interested are:

Namecoin - NMC
Ixcoin - IXC
Devcoin - DVC
I0coin - I0C

Other mm coins, maybe less known, are:

GRouPcoin - GRP
CoiLedCoin - CLC
GeistGeld - XGG
Huntercoin - HUC
Unobtanium - UNO
Fusioncoin - FSC
Cloudcoin - CLC
WorldLeadCurrency WLC

Everyone available to help and contribute with his time, presence, skills or what else is welcome.
Please leave a message and let everyone know your desire to contribute.

1st Step: Appoint a Lead Developer
He/She will have the tasks to coordinate the efforts,  check the progress of every project, handle the github repo, stay in contact with devs, discuss ideas, have a public identity.
The last requirement would refrain the person from behaving selfishly, act instead with a sense of responsibility, being able to explain the plans in motion for mm coins to others.
Please everybody available to cover this position let this community know. Thanks

2st Step: Appoint a cooperating developer for every coin
He/She will have the tasks to work on specific parts or projects, helping in keep github repo updated, stay in contact with all the other devs, discuss ideas.
There is no need to have a public identity, unless the dev himself desires so.
A coin without at least a dev working for the group will be eventually excluded from the project.
Please everybody available to cover this position let this community know. Thanks

Temporary structure (to check and complete):

Namecoin:
- development: domob
- marketing /website
- thread / forum / community: phelix?
Ixcoin:
- development: Ahmed - Cinnamon?
- marketing / website: Vlad?
- thread / forum / community: Vlad - Deadsea33?
Devcoin:
- development
- marketing / website: Cryptoaddicto?
- thread / forum / community: HunterBunter?
I0coin:
- development: rsnel?
- marketing / website: brooksby
- thread / forum / community: m00x!?
GRouPcoin - CoiLedCoin - GeistGeld
- development: MarkM?
- marketing / website
- thread / forum / community
Huntercoin
- development
- marketing / website
- thread / forum / community: jwinterm?
Lead Developer (coordinator of devs): domob?
MeMiCA website: brooksby?
Pages:
Jump to: