Pages:
Author

Topic: Merit requirement for jr.member - page 2. (Read 410 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 118
April 12, 2018, 05:18:57 AM

btw - Asking intelligent questions is a good contribution to the forum, but only if they haven't been answered many times in other threads.

I dont hang too much on the Meta but tried to see if this was brought up before as a suggestion.

When i think back from the time i joined bitcointalk, having a requirement of merit to rank up would feel more welcoming than saying im not worthy to post everywhere.
A newbie member could have watched the forum for a long time before joining and have the competence to write in all sections. That is more important to protect than being able to partake in bounties in my opinion.

And something still needs to be done to get rid of all the shitposters. And if we only got the one liners from this then it would still be a huge improvement.
One liners are mostly made by bots and others farming activity, not merit.

As botany pointed out maybe 5 is too high. I trust Theymos in the amount, i just want something done.

Saying ranks dont matter just hit me in the face though. Cause when you said it is your alt Jet Cash i suddenly felt more humble to your opinion. But may also be because i recognized the nick, and know your a member helping the forum more than i ever could.
Still dont agree though  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
April 12, 2018, 05:17:05 AM

And i see you got 10 merit already, and that was for good posts. I would not care about the rank on thoose posts just the quality. So restricting rank up with merits is still what i see as the best way to stop the spam.

That was a bit of a surprise, as I didn't expect to get any merit for that alt. The upgrade to member will be useful though, as it will allow me to include links in the signature.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064
April 12, 2018, 05:14:27 AM
Hi,

I thought merit would help with the spam but i still see as much crap from newbies as before.
Took a look at marketplace and found out why! Jr. member accounts are being sold as well. And for third world the sum is probably quite decent.

Maybe Theymos was to kind, and there should be 5 merit as requirement for jr.member.

If you cant earn any merit your probably should not even be jr. member. It is hard to get merit, but 5 merit should be possible for most people over time.
Unless they only post meaningless shitposts and in bounty threads off course but cant say i feel sorry for thoose  Tongue

I would be supportive of even a requirement of a single merit to become a junior member. The reason is that low quality posts from accounts with 30+ activity are not actioned by patrollers when reported. If there is a merit requirement to become a junior member, these accounts can be nuked even if they come under the radar at a later point in time.
Activity: 244
Merit: 17
Register for Fit to Talk through me
April 12, 2018, 05:09:25 AM
If we leave aside buying, alt exchanges, and nepotism, which are methods discouraged by the community, and likely to result in penalties such as negative trust, There are two ways that members use to gain merit. One is to fill the boards with low value posts in the hope that one or two will generate merit, and it is those posters that need to be contained. The other method is to contribute to the forum, and make reasoned posts that have value to the community, and it is these posters that we need to encourage. Restricting the main boards, and having areas for new members to demonstrate their abilities and willingness to contribute to the forum, reduces the impact of the bad posters, and provides a welcoming path for the valuable new members.

btw - Asking intelligent questions is a good contribution to the forum, but only if they haven't been answered many times in other threads.
April 12, 2018, 04:47:39 AM
I don't agree. New members need to find their feet in order to earn merit. An upgrade to junior member without requiring merit provides encouragement whilst they learn the community standards at Bitcoin Talk. Restriction on the boards they can use would be far more useful than introducing a merit requirement for them.

Unfortunately many new members take their example from Mother Nature. They spray their barren seeds in as many places as they can, and they hope that one or two will bear fruit. We need to help them to learn that they will get far better results by planting their healthy posts in fertile threads. Moderators can play a part in this by ensuring that the threads remain healthy.

I dont see the logic there. Restricting boards means they cant use the forum as they may want to until earning 10 merit which can take a long time.
Not gaining rank just means you will not get any bounties. Bounties are a biproduct not the reason bitcointalk was founded.

And i see you got 10 merit already, and that was for good posts. I would not care about the rank on thoose posts just the quality. So restricting rank up with merits is still what i see as the best way to stop the spam.
Activity: 244
Merit: 17
Register for Fit to Talk through me
April 12, 2018, 04:40:44 AM
I don't agree. New members need to find their feet in order to earn merit. An upgrade to junior member without requiring merit provides encouragement whilst they learn the community standards at Bitcoin Talk. Restriction on the boards they can use would be far more useful than introducing a merit requirement for them.

Unfortunately many new members take their example from Mother Nature. They spray their barren seeds in as many places as they can, and they hope that one or two will bear fruit. We need to help them to learn that they will get far better results by planting their healthy posts in fertile threads. Moderators can play a part in this by ensuring that the threads remain healthy.
April 12, 2018, 04:25:47 AM
Hi,

I thought merit would help with the spam but i still see as much crap from newbies as before.
Took a look at marketplace and found out why! Jr. member accounts are being sold as well. And for third world the sum is probably quite decent.

Maybe Theymos was to kind, and there should be 5 merit as requirement for jr.member.

If you cant earn any merit your probably should not even be jr. member. It is hard to get merit, but 5 merit should be possible for most people over time.
Unless they only post meaningless shitposts and in bounty threads off course but cant say i feel sorry for thoose  Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: