Pages:
Author

Topic: Merits getting abused like this? What can be done? - page 2. (Read 478 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
With the cost of $15 per merit, it means that a Member need to spend $1350 for more 90 merits to become a Full Member.
The cost, in my opinion, is to expensive. Additionally, how long the buyers (of Full Member, for example) can get their money back?
Years, maybe, and there are some other risks such as being discovered as merit abusers, and got red trust then don't have chance to join good campaign.
Moreover, even they buy 90 merits to be promoted to Full Members, if their post histories contain mostly shitshows, they won't have chance to get acceptance, too. Because managers do not only care about merits, they also care more about post quality.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 647
I agree there are abusers everywhere. As you said the prices are really high but the problem isn't the price, it's that even if prices were low, it should be prevented Cheesy
The question is how? Eventhough we want to prevent it, imo we can't. Discussions of merit buyers and sellers happen outside the forum and no one can control it. What we can do is just simply report those obvious abusers, to atleast lessen the number. Many abusers have been caught already and are continually being caught, and got negative trust.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Please keep in mind that this doesn't affect your ability to earn merits in any way so just focus on your own contributions to the forum and you'll be fine. Compared to what it used to be when account farmers were able to rank up many accounts with very little effort, an occasional merit abuser won't make much of a difference.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
$15 for 1 merit?  That seems ridiculously high.

Notice I'm not blown away by your post, OP.  Everybody knows merits are bought and sold, just not on this forum.  It's probably been going on since Jan. 2018 and will continue as long as merits are required for shitposters to rank up here, or as long as bounties and sig campaigns exist.  And with those rates, I don't think anybody is going to lay out enough cash to get a really high rank.  Seems like it'd be much cheaper to just buy a high-ranked account--and that obviously happens too.

There isn't much to be done about it, either.  If we knew the identities of the bitcointalk accounts involved, DT members could tag them, but that's about it.  Theymos is aware of all this as well, and we all just have to accept it.  It's not the end of the world.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
Nothing really. The problem will mostly solve itself because it's a stupid solution to the problem of "ranking up".

First off, it's freaking expensive; 15$ per merit? I don't see many bounty hunters spending 150$ just to become Jr member/Member.
especially not when the chances of getting caught when buying merits is pretty damn high, maybe not if you buy a single merit, but when a shitposter gets 1 merit for 3-15 consecutive days for posts which simply don't make any sense, it really becomes painfully obvious, and your account will be tagged in no-time.

Also, each merit given has to come from somewhere. With the airdropped merits become less and less every day, this "merit" selling thing from account farmers will naturally become scarcer and scarcer to observe.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 133
I am a freelancer on Fiverr. I was looking for jobs on Fiverr and in the service section of Bitcointalk. So I just googled about services regarding Bitcoin on Fiverr and found some abusers selling merits like as high as $15/merit etc.

I was surprised but not that much because there are abusers everywhere.

I know there are flaws but still I support the merit system as it helps in getting rid of spams. But it's hard to swallow that what many earn by hardworking and quality posting, some just buy it with money and abuse it like this. What can be done to stop this? Share your thoughts on this Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: