Pages:
Author

Topic: Message To Beginners: Do not use Secret Question to reset account - It locks it - page 2. (Read 2897 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
I'm not using Secret Question since i know if use that the account will locked. Also it will be hard to Unlock it because theymos and Badbear is really busy. And i see many who get that problem wait for him to unlock it. My suggest to everyone just use your email to reset your password.
Thank's
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001
Secret Question Recovery is like Trojan Horse of Bitcointal. Once you use it there is usually no way back, as I heard that theymos or badbear are usually busy to the point that they don't unlock low level member accounts.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
one of my friend account got hacked and the hacker changed the password and email id ,  please tell me how to recover that account , what is the procedure to get back that account, he used the wallet address, so he cannot get signature from them.

He needs to post in meta with all the details.   I suggest him starting a account just to post in meta and him to explain it.

I would not try to do it as a "friend" have it come from the source.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027
one of my friend account got hacked and the hacker changed the password and email id ,  please tell me how to recover that account , what is the procedure to get back that account, he used the wallet address, so he cannot get signature from them.
legendary
Bumping as it's still happening so I figure some might need to read this - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/account-locked-resolved-thank-you-theymos-1214476

Do not use secret question to reset your account password.  I would suggest removing it if you have one.  It's a pain and possible waiting time to get account back.
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
I have a security question on my account and I didn't appear to have any problem changing/setting it recently.
Could this possibly be just for beginner's or did I get lucky and dodge a bullet?

Your account gets locked if you use the secret question to change the password on your account, not just changing your secret question through your profile. As long as your account isn't hacked/you forget your password, you shouldn't need to worry about this.

Well I don't even remember have I enabled my security question or not or even was this obligatory or not. It's been a while since I have created this account.

So the safest is just not touch it and use it for password recovery. I will then just forget about it!
legendary
i removed it compeltely a long time ago, because bitcointalk itself, was pointing me about the dangerous part of having one

i just write down my pass on a A4 paper, which is not hackable, and i'm done

I always warry of doing this, so i don't instead i write down a reminder sequence that will let me rebuild the password safely, but without being me or going through massive efforts, its not possible to just check my drawer to find my password.

I figure if i leave home for a while or lose my wallet, i don't want to have to change my passwords too.

A piece of paper is honestly pretty hard to beat, just a little bit of a pain if you need it as it should be stored in safe or something.   But if you combine paper and code only you know you are right that is pretty much unhackable, only if keylogger or something then it could be taken from other things.   

I really like some of the 2FA things out there.  I have been looking at a few devices thinking about trying it on a site or two.  I want to give a yubikey a try but haven't yet - https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/
legendary
Merit: 1068
i removed it compeltely a long time ago, because bitcointalk itself, was pointing me about the dangerous part of having one

I always warry of doing this, so i don't instead i write down a reminder sequence that will let me rebuild the password safely, but without being me or going through massive efforts, its not possible to just check my drawer to find my password.

I figure if i leave home for a while or lose my wallet, i don't want to have to change my passwords too.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!
Well this is irony actually, secret question is basically used for recovery or make a reset password, but in this case otherwise it will be disaster.

This advice is already warned few months ago, but this thread is nice to remainder, especially for newbie.
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
So at this point the "security" question is more of an account padlock and proves to be more of a detriment than anything..?
Does this mean if someone attempted to answer my secret question is would lock my account?
Only if they get it right.
Activity: 518
So at this point the "security" question is more of an account padlock and proves to be more of a detriment than anything..?
Does this mean if someone attempted to answer my secret question is would lock my account?
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
I have a security question on my account and I didn't appear to have any problem changing/setting it recently.
Could this possibly be just for beginner's or did I get lucky and dodge a bullet?
It isn't with setting or changing it, but rather when you attempt to recover your password with it. If you try to recover your password using the secret question, you will be locked out. You can change it, and I would advise you to remove it completely.
legendary

Your account gets locked if you use the secret question to change the password on your account, not just changing your secret question through your profile. As long as your account isn't hacked/you forget your password, you shouldn't need to worry about this.

I think you got lucky it is designed to be locked at this point.  As shorena said the secret question anwsers were compromised in hack a while back.  So it's kinda a safty measure to make sure they can't steal your account.

But here is a biig tips for accounts:

Make sure to "stake" a bitcoin address you have access to prove you are owner if ever needed: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stake-your-bitcoin-address-here-996318
legendary
Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

Activity: 518
Activity: 854
Merit: 1007
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

I would say that adding a warning to the page where you reset your password via Secret Question would be smarter, if theymos isn't going to remove the auto-lock feature.

They already added it, but you know newbies, they will get locked out eventually.

You need to warn them 5-6 times before they get it, its really hard to get into bitcoin, for indisciplined people, because this is the wild west.
legendary
Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049
Holy shit i didnt know this. Luckily I always put for security question something like: asfh8y3qkafju89eu, which is really hard to guess the answer to Cheesy

This should be added to the registration notification, or disabled completely. It seems to me a fatal flaw that can scare away many members.

Maybe setup a strong 2FA for authentication, so that people can simply use their google authenticator or such to recover their password. I'm not sure if the other password reset method let you change your password without locking? By using your email account, i mean.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't lock your account, although I'm not 100% positive. I will tell you that 2FA will be included in the new forum, so at least members won't have a really good excuse if their accounts are hacked. ( Wink )

This should be added to the registration notification, or disabled completely. It seems to me a fatal flaw that can scare away many members.

I would say that adding a warning to the page where you reset your password via Secret Question would be smarter, if theymos isn't going to remove the auto-lock feature.
legendary
Merit: 1068
Holy shit i didnt know this. Luckily I always put for security question something like: asfh8y3qkafju89eu, which is really hard to guess the answer to Cheesy

Maybe setup a strong 2FA for authentication, so that people can simply use their google authenticator or such to recover their password. I'm not sure if the other password reset method let you change your password without locking? By using your email account, i mean.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1007
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

Pages:
Jump to: