Pages:
Author

Topic: Mike Hearn, Foundation's Law & Policy Chair, is pushing blacklists right now - page 9. (Read 84366 times)

BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
Again you are giving the foundation too much power.

Mod note: Discussion about the tracking pixel that BCB used in this post can be found here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/tracking-pixels-split-from-mike-hearns-blacklist-thread-341146
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
What other measure would you guys suggest to meet existing legal requirements? Trying to convince lawmakers that bitcoin should be anonymously traded is an absolute non-starter. If that is the foundation's opinion then bitcoin may be declared illegal and the tracking of coins will move to law enforcement. So, what are our other options?

I'm living in the EU. Why should I meet with any US legal requirements? What you guys planning to give up next?
Activity: 102
Merit: 10
Crypto Pros
You guys seem to think regulation is some kind of option. It is not. There will be regulation no matter how you feel about it. If you feel that destroys bitcoin, then sell yours to a grown up.

idiot

tell me how bittorrent is regulated, mr know it all
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
Start your own foundation or organization.

It seems this is regularly thrown at anyone who criticises the foundation, apparently in the belief it's impossible someone could do just that.  Not only is it a poor and defensive line of argument, it's also an increasingly likely outcome. 

If the US bitcoin foundation continues down its path of cosying up to politicians and bankers while removing core aspects of bitcoin, that is exactly what will happen.  I can't imagine it being particularly pretty if it does though.
Activity: 103
It From Bit
...tell them to shove their kyc/aml up their ass
Yeah, that should work.

You guys seem to think regulation is some kind of option. It is not. There will be regulation no matter how you feel about it. If you feel that destroys bitcoin, then sell yours to a grown up.

You are doing a great job of showing people why they should stop supporting the Foundation.  Keep posting!
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
Yeah, that should work.

you say grown up i say slave
BCB
vip
BCJ
Start your own foundation or organization.

It is very easy to anonymously post here.

Come out from the shadows and take a stand if you feel so strongly about it.

Activity: 476
I went to register as a bitcoin foundation member after someone suggested that was a good way to voice concerns about the foundation.  

However it seems more like a way to pay their wages rather than have some sort of say.  

If bitcoin becomes entirely regulated, I fail to see what it really offers over anything that existed before it.  Slightly quicker transactions and convenience than western union is not really what this is all about.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Yeah, that should work.

Activity: 18
What other measure would you guys suggest to meet existing legal requirements?

None. Existing legal requirements, and the power interests they serve, are the problem. Their absence or irrelevance is the goal.

Trying to convince lawmakers that bitcoin should be anonymously traded is an absolute non-starter.

Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies like it are an existential threat to lawmakers and the power interests they serve. Trying to convince them of anything is futile, and akin to attempting to bargain with the slavemaster while you're under the lash, when what you should be doing is everything in your power to escape the last and the slavemaster.

+1

bitcoin is humanities chance to free ourselves from the central banks. bargaining with them is bowing to their power. tell them to shove their kyc/aml up their ass
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
This idea has the smell of U.S. gun control laws that have the effect of restricting law-abiding citizens while doing nothing to curtail criminals.

The baddies will always find ways around controls.  It's the average Joe who suffers.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1006
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
What other measure would you guys suggest to meet existing legal requirements? Trying to convince lawmakers that bitcoin should be anonymously traded is an absolute non-starter. If that is the foundation's opinion then bitcoin may be declared illegal and the tracking of coins will move to law enforcement. So, what are our other options?

NOTHING. Mikes Proposed change is unacceptable.
The problem is doing nothing is unacceptable to any government.
Then any (such) government is unacceptable to us.

Times change, governments will have to either adapt, die or be ignored by the population until they accept the inevitable.
BCB
vip
BCJ
You guys give the foundation way too much credit and way too much power. The bitcoin protocol succeeds because it is based on distributed consensus. The minors control the protocol. Collusion, gaming the mining process or a large pool with excessive hash power are far greater concerns that one Dev's theoretical and very relevant discussion.

The foundation gave vess visibility and credibility (but it couldn't help him become a better businessman). It gave Gavin a salary. And it gave the community a fabulous conference that certainly supported bitcoin's wider visibility.

Jon Matonis has publicly stated his vision and mission for the foundation under his leadership. Let's see how that plays out.

Monday's hearing will be live stream. I suggest you all watch.

http://www.hsgac.senate.gov/hearings/beyond-silk-road-potential-risks-threats-and-promises-of-virtual-currencies
Activity: 98
nearly dead
I'm guessing not many of you have dealt with regulators before.

The magical foundation has brainwashed you too. Do you also believe that it is the people in foundation that are directing the future of bitcoin ?
legendary
I'm guessing not many of you have dealt with regulators before.
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
The problem is doing nothing is unacceptable to any government.

Then it seems that governments have a problem. We don't need would-be technocrats cuddling up to them and stuffing solutions down our throats.

The recent value increase in bitcoin is largely driven by serious investors in the currency.

May the gods save us from "serious" people.
Activity: 431
What other measure would you guys suggest to meet existing legal requirements?

What legal requirements?  If you're talking about AML, the exchanges already enforce this.  

Trying to convince lawmakers that bitcoin should be anonymously traded is an absolute non-starter. If that is the foundation's opinion then bitcoin may be declared illegal and the tracking of coins will move to law enforcement. So, what are our other options?

Cash can be traded anonymously, but it's not illegal.  I don't see why bitcoin should be different.  If law enforcement wants to track stolen coins on their own, let them.  Why is it the foundations job to do that for them?
legendary

The problem is doing nothing is unacceptable to any government. There are no other exceptions in financial law. Stocks, bonds, precious metals, real estate, currency markets, all such transaction require taxation and AML/KYC practices.
The recent value increase in bitcoin is largely driven by serious investors in the currency. Failure to devlop a regulatory regime will result in a flight from bitcoin and their will be no reason or path to ever see it realize it's potential. You wont even be able to buy alpaca socks.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250

There is the option to do nothing.

The next update to the reference client could be done by a group from Asia, or Russia, it does not have to be done by the current devs.

If US law makers and enforcement wish to do something then let them, and when they and their partners finally understand the concept of a de-centralised global currency then they might realise that the rest of the world will continue without them.

EDIT: Pandora's Box has been opened, Good Luck with shutting it.
Activity: 15
So the biggest threat to bitcoin currently is the bitcoin foundation. Great.

My hate on americans just trippled again.
Fucking everything up they touch.

New Conspiracy Theory:
When CIA discovered Bitcoin (in 2010) and realized the impact it could have on the World Economy they tracked down Satoshi, and took over all his communication.
Thats when Satoshi said he has "other projects" and what a miracle and AMERICAN got chosen by satoshi to lead his the development.
Only a few years later we are a few steps ahead from a fascist Bitcoin. So I guess Satoshi is dead by now and turning over in his grave, while his idea of Money is getting raped.

Pages:
Jump to: