Pages:
Author

Topic: Mine with old desktop? - page 2. (Read 409 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046
July 18, 2018, 10:21:48 AM
If your CPU is not supported with multi GPU's you can only mine with 1 GPU and for performance, I think it won't affect the performance when mining, just make sure that you check your PSU first how much wattage your PSU limit so that you can run the miner without any issue. 

If you are planning to mod your rx580 you can follow this guide https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guidetutorialxmrethhow-to-mod-bios-rx470570480580-vega-mining-1954245 and if you are planning to multiple cards I think there is a good driver to mine with multiple cards I think you can run 4 GPU's using riser extender with 4 usb socket.
Activity: 9
Merit: 1
July 18, 2018, 09:58:03 AM

I am mining eth with old computers to save on components,not using conventional hard drives fail I recommend SSD. even with memories dd2 4 gb and old processors and works with windows 7 64 bit. the only consideration is that it should be double core because in the eagerness to lower a few additional watts I placed a single core and there was a noticeable decrease in performance.
Activity: 112
Merit: 0
July 18, 2018, 09:34:55 AM
On Ethereum (ethash) one RX580 card will generate approx 1 dollar per day based on present exchange rates. It is easy to calculate how long it might take to get your money back...
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2253
From Zero to 2 times Self-Made Legendary
July 18, 2018, 08:33:59 AM
Hi guys, I am new on mining thread, tried to look for similar posts but didn’t fond any.

So here is my dilemma. I would like my hand at mining, bu don’t have thousands to spend. I am looking to find a solution that will get me started for cheap (€300).

I have old desktop with quad core 3ghz amd phenom 2 cpu and 6gb ram and would want to buy AMD radeon rx580 8gb (pci express) graphics for mining.

The question is, will the old desktop slow my mining performance down?

It should be fine for mining requirements. But you'll be facing the issues when you have a plan to put more GPUs if your motherboard not supported it.

Does internet speed affect mining too (i have 40mb/s intenet where i live)?

Your internet speed doesn't matter for mining performance and it's more than enough, the most important is the consistent internet speed as well as connection.
(i assume you are not doing solo mining)

Is it even worth these days, to mine with one graphic card? Not trying to get rich here 😬 just want a bit extra here and there. Thanks guys

You're starting with one card today, and maybe you'll have had a lot of GPUs on your mining rig at the end  Grin
Activity: 126
Merit: 0
July 18, 2018, 07:45:41 AM
Hi guys, I am new on mining thread, tried to look for similar posts but didn’t fond any.

So here is my dilemma. I would like my hand at mining, bu don’t have thousands to spend. I am looking to find a solution that will get me started for cheap (€300).

I have old desktop with quad core 3ghz amd phenom 2 cpu and 6gb ram and would want to buy AMD radeon rx580 8gb (pci express) graphics for mining.

The question is, will the old desktop slow my mining performance down? Does internet speed affect mining too (i have 40mb/s intenet where i live)? Is it even worth these days, to mine with one graphic card? Not trying to get rich here 😬 just want a bit extra here and there. Thanks guys

Your cpu does not affect your Mining performance,check your power supply, make sure its enough to run AMD radeon rx580 8gb smoothly,If not you need to buy new power supply,atleast 600W psu  is safebet. Radeon rx580 8gb is best suitable for mining Cryptonight algorithems eg:Monero,Intense coin,Stellite coin.Profit differ for different coins So choose coin from which you can make some good profit.
Activity: 266
Merit: 2
July 18, 2018, 07:01:19 AM
go for it.
Activity: 308
Merit: 49
July 18, 2018, 06:59:08 AM
The question is, will the old desktop slow my mining performance down? Is it even worth these days, to mine with one graphic card?

Just a little bit effect on overall performance, but not really on the mining process.

Does internet speed affect mining too (i have 40mb/s intenet where i live)?

Internet connection especially latency will affect your share to the mining pool (if you were doing pooled mining) with your current internet speed, I'm sure you were on the save zone.

Not trying to get rich here 😬 just want a bit extra here and there.

Today, I'm still mining with GPUs.
Activity: 126
Merit: 2
July 18, 2018, 05:05:39 AM

So here is my dilemma. I would like to try my hand at mining, bu don’t have thousands to spend. I am looking to find a solution that will get me started for cheap (€300).

The question is, will the old desktop slow my mining performance down? Does internet speed affect mining too (i have 40mb/s intenet where i live)? Is it even worth these days, to mine with one graphic card? Not trying to get rich here 😬 just want a bit extra here and there. Thanks guys
Pages:
Jump to: