Pages:
Author

Topic: Minebox Pre-order 8TB and 16TB Models using SIA - page 2. (Read 3919 times)

Activity: 952
Merit: 508
Not worth it. If you want to do SIA/Storj/Maidsafe/Burst, DIY a build with these 8TB WD red drives for $210 (shuck it from the enclosure): https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHLGC/

Minebox was originally using those WD Red Drives and switched for the better IronWolf drives.

The point of this device is not how cheap you can make cloud storage, the point of this device is storing your data in a decentralized network where you control your private key to your data.

If you connect a Minebox to the network, add all your data and your Minebox fails... you can recover 100% of your data, that's what makes Minebox unique. In addition to this, you can earn SIA Coin for reselling your unused space on the network.

Minebox is first to market with this type of device.
For those interested, below are some of the unique features to Minebox

Key Minebox features:

1. Local storage and remote access
2. Earn money on your free space (unique to Minebox)
3. Get redundant offsite backups with one click (unique to Minebox)
4. Bring your data under your control with a private key known only to you (unique to Minebox)
5. Manage your balance with a built-in wallet (unique to Minebox)
Activity: 610
Merit: 265
Not worth it. If you want to do SIA/Storj/Maidsafe/Burst, DIY a build with these 8TB WD red drives for $210 (shuck it from the enclosure): https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHLGC/
Activity: 390
Merit: 250
$1468.00 EUR for 16TB?
You must be kidding  Grin
Activity: 304
Merit: 250
Agreed way too expensive.
How much load does HDD mining put on the drive? It is a mechanical device after
and suffers wear.

They use Seagate Iron Wolf drives that are built for a ~300TB a year workload.

It's no SSD, but that's a lot of wear...
WAY too expensive for what they are offering.

I could build a 16 TB box for more like $800 all-up specifically including OS/software AND a pair of Seagate "Archive" 8TB drives, using a MB and a case that would easily handle at least 7 drives (and with some digging might manage 8-10 and still bring it in under $800 my cost).

Don't need no "custom" LINUX version to do it with either - ANY standard LINUX version for at least the last 20 years has been able to handle a lot more than 4 drives.

the hard drives in the 16TB model are around $300 USD each, so for $600 you'd still need a board $100, processor, $100, ram $40, PSU $150, Chassis $100 -- that comes in around $1100 before shipping or taxes. Then you'd still need to build your OS and connect it to the SIA blockchain network in the manner theirs does.

Can you save a few hundred $$ doing all this? Certainly, can you do it in the same a-la-carte small form factor? Nope.

I don't know if this technology will take off or fall on its face but I am interested in it because I think it has potential.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114
How much load does HDD mining put on the drive? It is a mechanical device after
and suffers wear.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
WAY too expensive for what they are offering.

I could build a 16 TB box for more like $800 all-up specifically including OS/software AND a pair of Seagate "Archive" 8TB drives, using a MB and a case that would easily handle at least 7 drives (and with some digging might manage 8-10 and still bring it in under $800 my cost).

Don't need no "custom" LINUX version to do it with either - ANY standard LINUX version for at least the last 20 years has been able to handle a lot more than 4 drives.

Not seeing a lot of info on use..
it's a 4 bay but comes with 2 drives? can it be expanded? can drives be plugged into the usb ports for further expansion?

It's an HP Micro server and yes you can add additional drives and use all 4 drive bays. Don't know about expanded storage via USB but it seams like a feasible feature in the future.

They told me if you add more drives once you receive yours they can provide instructions how to enable them in the OS.

Their twitter has some screen captures of the custom linux OS they are using https://t.co/7khPOTk2do

https://twitter.com/mineboxHQ

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
Not seeing a lot of info on use..
it's a 4 bay but comes with 2 drives? can it be expanded? can drives be plugged into the usb ports for further expansion?
Have you got a link to a profitability calculation?

It seems to me that these projects are great ideas for distributed data storage, but that there's a lot of enthusiasts putting up capacity--- but are there any customers buying that capacity?

Right now I don't think this would be profitable for "mining" but the more people use the technology and the increased demand of SIA will only raise the price and add value long term.

It's my hope that buying one of these early that I ROI "some day" but I bought it more for the encrypted storage cloud capability than I did as a miner, that feature is just a perk for me that offsets the low power costs of having it connected and online.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
Have you got a link to a profitability calculation?

It seems to me that these projects are great ideas for distributed data storage, but that there's a lot of enthusiasts putting up capacity--- but are there any customers buying that capacity?
legendary
Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005
Interesting, I had not heard of this. Thanks!
This isn't really mining but it uses SIA Coin blockchain for its architecture so I figured I would post here.

I just ordered a 16TB Model today and thought I would share the link for those that may not know about the Minebox

This is not a referral link and I don't work for Minebox, I just think its a cool technology.

Information: https://minebox.io/

Preorder: https://minebox.io/preorder

Anyone else going to get one one?
Pages:
Jump to: