Pages:
Author

Topic: Miner Edge Official information Thread. - page 3. (Read 9215 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
March 30, 2015, 12:06:05 AM
Searing,

Are you generally drunk or high when you post? Genuinely curious, no offense intended.

just type fast as i can think .guess you guys are not much into 'whimsy' huh?

put me on /ignore others do......no issues with that......

Like I said, no offense intended. I have nothing at all against you, and from what I've managed to read of your posts you seem like a nice guy. And I do try to read your posts, but I always end up going cross eyed.  Undecided

Keep on keepin' on, searing.  Cool

(what I'd give to be a fly on the wall while your English teacher graded your papers LOL)

---------------------------------

Back on topic... ME, details please!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
March 29, 2015, 11:23:23 AM
Searing,

Are you generally drunk or high when you post? Genuinely curious, no offense intended.

I really like Searing and assume he is harmless, I just have him on ignore because his posts do my head in.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
March 29, 2015, 09:13:33 AM
You forgot one of the most important question!

When?Huh

i'm kind of ready for an upgrade and really want to do it! your miner(s) looks to be perfect for me!

for ''The larger order'' you can speak with RoadStress as he is doing some awesome grupbuys!
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
March 29, 2015, 03:28:10 AM
Searing,

just type fast as i can think .guess you guys are not much into 'whimsy' huh?

put me on /ignore others do......no issues with that......
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
March 29, 2015, 03:00:37 AM
Searing,

LOL. Honestly I thought about asking that question also in the past when reading his posts. I assumed that English wasn't his primarily language.

I did too, but I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he was in the US in one of his posts so I figured I'd ask.  Tongue

He's a good guy,but he does post like it's his first time ever...each time  Cheesy

Just the way he is....your alright searing!!  Wink
legendary
March 29, 2015, 01:52:16 AM
Searing,

LOL. Honestly I thought about asking that question also in the past when reading his posts. I assumed that English wasn't his primarily language.

I did too, but I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he was in the US in one of his posts so I figured I'd ask.  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
March 29, 2015, 01:48:13 AM
Searing,

legendary
March 29, 2015, 01:38:29 AM
Searing,

copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
March 29, 2015, 12:25:00 AM

heh... out of my price range probably especially at 2k or so a card proposed ....and of course I'm dense still want a 'home miner' way to run something even if i lose some $$$ on it for such a toy factor...yeah I'm one 'sick' puppy...it is them whirly fan noises and pretty blinking LCD's etc...soothing!

*yeah I know mining is dead* .... still my electric costs vs co-hosting is equiv so wtf same ball park...but either is probably not wise to do ...neither a data center
co-host nor home miner option makes sense alas...the home mining dream is dead ......gasp..sputter...croak!

don't matter much is as in the previous post the unit .they will try to make is near 2K as possible.. and i guess you have to have some kind of 'special' data center rig just to
hold these cards..not to mention water cooling...well ....I'd be dumb for a home miner toy i may lose a bit of cash on..but have not quite drunk enough kool aid
'to the moon' punch to pull that off even in my 'deluded state of mind"

... a bit of $$$ lost for a toy is one thing....a Porsche sports car in the go cart race track not so much...
so alas metaphorically I want to race go-carts (home miner) but now only racing allowed is 'real' race track with real race cars (data center etc)......dang it..

When I do win the Lottery (heh only thing I can control about the lottery is the previous optimistic sentence) ...then I may get a baker's dozen..till then I will be in the
bleachers watching the pros play with a corn dog and a beer...

the people making these are free to send me a 'prototype' version of a 'home miner' for me to review with my inept skills as a home plug and play miner type user and I will review
at their leisure (I got 2 knc titan's up w/o burning my house down ..good to have goals)....yeah I just hurt a miner edge tech reading this as he fell off his chair ....oflao.... er sorry)

(hey again ...only thing I can control is again is the above testing offer sentence......and again STILL better odds then the lottery...er hey miner tech guy ..don't try to laugh so soon after falling off your chair ..you will hyperventilate..get dizzy and fall off again....just saying)

well I will watch from the bleachers with the popcorn view of this thread... i guess...I always can 'dream' of them glory days in the 'Minors' Home Team sense  (GPU/ASICS)

....AH...the smell of electrical space heaters in the summer months from the basement ...with just a hint of ozone.......

retirement sucks as a miner....

Activity: 924
March 28, 2015, 11:58:16 PM
Drool.... just noticed made in U.S.A. hope it's priced like a Chevy.  Too bad it's not NextGen, but silence is also key.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
March 28, 2015, 11:44:53 PM
So basically its exactly priced around the SP20 but its much much quieter being water-cooled.

I can see this as an improvement because the ONLY reason I didn't get an SP20 was due to the noise.

As the earlier poster pointed out, you should get these ready to ship ASAP because if you release them too late like in 6 months or so, then there will be no market for them.

yeah speed is important,  And .51 watts is meh but a low power farm or DC can run them.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
March 28, 2015, 10:40:17 PM
So basically its exactly priced around the SP20 but its much much quieter being water-cooled.

I can see this as an improvement because the ONLY reason I didn't get an SP20 was due to the noise.

As the earlier poster pointed out, you should get these ready to ship ASAP because if you release them too late like in 6 months or so, then there will be no market for them.
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners
March 28, 2015, 10:16:40 PM
I'll point the giant white elephant in the room (please, don't take offense, i'm rooting for you guys):

Are you expecting to ship this anytime soon? The RockerBox chip performance is nice, but if you're going to ship these in the next 2 months, you're gonna get steamrolled by the already (partially) disclosed Bitmain hardware. How are you coping with this fact?

I'm all in for non-air cooled systems, in fact i like the idea of an industrial equipment with open loop systems (using evaporative towers and chillers, etc), but if your time to market isn't right, you'll be the next flop.

Please, please, please: Be sure to release asap, or rethink your hardware for next-gen chips, with possible blade upgrades, etc.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
March 28, 2015, 08:58:16 PM
Hello all. 
I will try and answer as many questions as I can in this one post as I am still restricted on how fast I can post.

Q: Exciting. When will you finalize the tech descriptions, price, etc?
A: We are working our supply chain now to get a better understanding of what our pricing will be.   The larger order we can put together the better the volume discounts and more leverage we have with our parts suppliers.  I hate to give a price point but if we can’t get things down close to $2,000USD I doubt there will even be a market.   

Q: Did you license the SPT software as well or will you have your own gui?
A:  We are indeed building off of the same path as Spondoolies.  CGminer/MinePeon.   So, Yes.  User friendly GUI.   We will also be adding some larger scale management features.

Q: I am confused? So is this a new manufacteurer who is building ASICs but instead of developing their own chips they get it sourced from SP?
A: We are a systems integrator.  Our team comes from the enterprise server development world.  We are manufacturing our own architecture built around Spondoolies Rocker Box ASIC

Q: Water?!?  WHAT?  Where? How?
A: This is an open loop watercooled system.  This is designed for larger scale datacenters in mind.  (Individual customers may purchase, but will have to provide their own pump and radiator)(which means you can make this as quiet as you like!)
Our heatsink touches off on ALL parts of the “hashing module” that produce heat. (ASICs, Voltage regulator, and even the board itself.   All heat the board produces exits the water channel.

Q: Power supplies?  Noise?  Water?
A:  Power supplies are air cooled.  However they get near ambient temp air as the hashing modules are cooled by the water.   Running the system at 4Ths the power supplies are silent.  Over 5Ths they are barely audible.  6THs they are noticeable.  They are still the only fans in the system so they are not really all that bad compared to the competition.  Ill take SPL readings and post an audio recording in the future.

Q: Can you outline where/how the radiators fit into the setup? I imagine they are external.

A: Yes Datacenter level.   We are launching our architecture around: http://drycoolers.com/sites/default/files/avr-brochure-v2_0.pdf
As other have stated functional waste heat usage was one of our main goals, next to an easily upgradable design.
With an open loop design some may not have radiators at all, instead choosing to redirect a river for free cooling.
Our architecture also opens up the rest of the world to Bitcoin mining.  We can easily handle over 40C ambient air temperatures.

Q: RJ45!!!!!!!!!  HOW MANY?
A: Each Module needs 1 RJ45 connection to the management card.  Each management card will handle 24 hashing modules.  The 2nd port was for development reasons.
2 management cards will reside in a 1U chassis supporting a total 12 full miners.
Cat5 cabling is low cost and having a separate management card make for ease of upgrading modules.   

Q: Its likely those PCBs still need some airflow as well, although we can't be certain without more pics. Maybe the blocks cover the DC/DC area as well, maybe they just cover the chips.
A: Airflow is not needed for the hashing modules.  The PSU will need air however and will pull some air over the hashing modules.  Our heatsink makes contact with all heat producing components of the board.

Q: .51 watts per gh  does not cut it.  the next jump is over 10% .
A:  We are not an ASIC design company.  We can only control efficiency so much.  We are using Spondoolies Rocker Box ASIC so our efficiency should be on par with theirs.   We are pretty close on efficiency.  We have a few more tweaks to make.  It is also unknown if we happen to have an earlier batch of ASICs that may not perform as well.  Even different SP20’s will have different efficiency numbers.

Final Note:
Our marketing and technical documentation is being finished soon.
Our goals with this architecture were as follows:
Replaceable hashing Modules.  Upgrade modules (not including ASIC cost as we can not control that) could potentially cost ½ the total price of a new miner.
Easy, rapid, end user replaceable hash modules.
Rack dense.
Useable waste heat.
Interface with standard industrial plumbing.
Provide all the benefits of immersion cooling without the cost.
We believe we have accomplished these goals with this system.

Hope to see you tomorrow at the Texas Bitcoin Conference.

-Nathan
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
March 28, 2015, 08:31:57 PM
Well this is not ideal but at least we have someone new trying to produce some hardware.
Agree with Philip.....need better efficiency out of these chips or new ones. 
Looks like it could reduce the overall footprint but all the ethernet jacks confuse me.
Would need to be priced to move.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
March 28, 2015, 08:03:29 PM
I've been thinking about it for a while. The first shop we looked at last June had a nice dropoff on one side where we could have set up a pool and dove right off the loading dock. BUT NO.
legendary
March 28, 2015, 07:48:08 PM
I'd be more interested in heating a swimming pool in wintertime. I kept saying we need to get a pool for the shop and use a waterloop to cool hosted machines so we can go swimming but no, they wouldn't let me...

We think alike after I wrote the post  I though I should say that.  thanks for reading my mind and posting it.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
March 28, 2015, 07:34:08 PM
I'd be more interested in heating a swimming pool in wintertime. I kept saying we need to get a pool for the shop and use a waterloop to cool hosted machines so we can go swimming but no, they wouldn't let me...
legendary
March 28, 2015, 07:29:18 PM
If it could heat a swimming pool in the summer and heat a radiator in the winter it would have value.

Many pool heaters are electric.

Some usa homes use spot  heat electric radiators.

So if you could switch this from one to the other during seasons it would be  of value.

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
March 28, 2015, 06:19:31 PM
Seeing as Spondoolies is a reputable and well known company, having them maybe comment here that you are legit would go a LONG way toward establishing what IMO is the elephant in the room…is this too good to be true? If so this is some exciting stuff. But some validation would be good so we know who are doing business with for those of us looking to buy.

No it is not very good at all.   As the best claim of power is .51watts per gh.

.51 watts per gh  does not cut it.  the next jump is over 10% .  

We need .4 watt or .35 watt offerings not .51 watts.

I am mining a sp20 right now at .45 watts  It is clocked to 961gh

So why should I get this? Go back up to .51 watts

not a fact just an opinion.

If you can use the hot water and turn it into money....
Pages:
Jump to: