Pages:
Author

Topic: Miners are getting jacked for 15-20% of earnings!!!! - page 2. (Read 3398 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Yes, it would be a disaster to manage and adds complexity where none is needed.  The solution:  Don't mine on a proportional pool.  Problem solved.  No mathematical magic or acrobatics needed.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
His solution does not sound like it could be implemented with a 'relative degree of ease'. It sounds like it would be an absolute monster to code and manage.
Activity: 742
Merit: 503
but here are some numbers that prove that miners are getting jacked for 15-20% of earnings on blocks shorter than 12 minutes. on average.

No, your math is incorrect, basically because you didn't considered hashrate change. Again, there was a lot discussion about it and, honestly, I trust Meni's calculations much more than yours. You obviously DIDN'T read his paper, so please do it and stop spamming here. If you want to continue in the discussion, please open separate thread. I'm sorry that I'm angry, but I'm little tired of such "smart guys" entering the discussion in the middle, without reading the papers, math and discussion history.

Look Sargasm, you have your first reply!  Please respond here.  Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Activity: 742
Merit: 503
Well, perhaps, but those hoppers didn't do the sometimes 4 hours of processing on the server that we did in order to get a shot at a fresh block.

While we're slaving away at calculating that hash...they're off trying to get more than their due many other places.

Anyway, I can solve the problem with a relative degree of ease.

You create another class of shares called 'loyalty shares'.  You create a number of shares equal to the estimated share count at 5 minutes with current has power.

You distribute loyalty shares proportional to the payouts on your last block.

So...

Two things...

1) Pool hoppers would be fucked. (their margins would be reduced to tatters.  If they happend to hop in on a 2 pool that closed in 2 minutes, their share would be super miniscule due to the loyalty shares.

2) It would ease attrition on long length blocks because folks wouldn't get the loyalty shares if they bailed.

This way... instead of your most loyal folks getting shafted in short rounds, we'd end up doing the best.

Doubt this will help you out either... but here are some numbers that prove that miners are getting jacked for 15-20% of earnings on blocks shorter than 12 minutes. on average.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhhejNMzWwx8dGpYZE9FYXk3d05MQjVDNUxLcHNXZkE&output=html

It proves that either A) pool hoppers are doing better than your massive brain thought they could... or B) for some reason slush is stealing from us, but only on short blocks.

Please direct posts to Sargasm, I just helped him set up his own thread.
Pages:
Jump to: