Pages:
Author

Topic: Miners operate the majority of Bitcoin nodes. - page 2. (Read 2957 times)

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Why is this a problem? Why should every user be influenced into installing software and operating a node?

The Sybil attack is described here:

Clients with a checkpoint (even a very old one) that download and validate the headers for the whole blockchain are not vulnerable to Sybil attacks in the following sense: they can always ensure that an attack would cost more than the amount being stolen.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Thin_Client_Security

Also, if you can cut communications with 90% of the miners' hashing capacity, you only need 10% of mining capacity to perform a 51% attack.

A miner that finds access to pools blocked can mine solo (e.g., using P2Pool even) or go on Tor, but the network is more resilient with more full blockchain-verifying nodes.

Now the current database that was used for the Bitcoin.org client ended up being a poor choice, and a switch to a better choice (which didn't even exist when the Bitcoin client was first architected) is being developed as we speak.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Why is this a problem? Why should every user be influenced into installing software and operating a node?
Because the more node there are, the better. Bitcoin is a p2p network. When a serious attack will happen, we will need as many nodes as possible.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
Isn't the most threatening attack one of 51% of the computing power confirming most of the blocks?

No.   Any miner doing that will cause bitcoins to lose all value, at which point the network will route around the troublemaker.

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
Why is this a problem? Why should every user be influenced into installing software and operate a node as well?

Why & how exactly do you think that every user is **forced** to do anything ?

PS.
Also, why the hell do you keep changing your Avatar ?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
I'm not a miner but I run bitcoin-qt on three different computers, one of which I use as my wallet. I do this to contribute a small bit to the smooth running of the system which is in my own best interests.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
Do what you want. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Most miners use a mining pool. Most miners don't run a full node, as this is not required for pooled mining. So thousands of miners could be relying on tens of nodes.

I want a healthy robust network that is capable of withstanding various attacks. I run a node on every computer that I have access to.

Isn't the most threatening attack one of 51% of the computing power confirming most of the blocks?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
I imagine someday soon, especially once transaction fees start getting higher and higher due to lower and lower rewards merchants who accept bitcoins or run a business exclusively catered to Bitcoin like mtgox and bitinstant will see a great benefit in running their own mining operation which will solve this "problem".
Activity: 136
Merit: 100
Everything has a cost, including running a client long enough to keep it up to date. Perhaps miners can do it more efficiently.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
As long as you are a small player I'd say it doesn't really matter for you personally if you run a node or not. For the network of course every node counts.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Trading Bitcoins has a cost.  The cost is that of operating the network.  Relying on this network without accounting for the cost is an externality.  It is in your best interest to operate a node, and not to be dependent upon miners operating the network for you.  Suggesting that you act in your best interest is not undue force or influence.
Why is this a problem? Why should every user be forced to install software and operate a node as well?

Nobody is forced to install anything. They can run a lite-client or use a web-wallet if they wish.

Edited.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
Why is this a problem? Why should every user be forced to install software and operate a node as well?

Nobody is forced to install anything. They can run a lite-client or use a web-wallet if they wish.
Pages:
Jump to: