Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining Bitcoin Using Free Electricity - page 2. (Read 270 times)

Activity: 125
Merit: 0
August 13, 2018, 02:00:23 AM
There are no such free electricity.

Never though of this when I'm still in school but this is clearly profitable given the free source of electricity. I was so amazed by the creativity and intellect of those students taking advantage of the situation.  Grin
Really?  Stealing electricity is intellect and creativity?  If I am the principal of the school, I will sue them and make their parents pay for the electricity they steal.
Activity: 511
Merit: 250
August 13, 2018, 01:45:08 AM
https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/08/12/students-are-mining-bitcoin-in-university-dorms-campuses-are-alert/

Never though of this when I'm still in school but this is clearly profitable given the free source of electricity. I was so amazed by the creativity and intellect of those students taking advantage of the situation.  Grin

I don't have much knowledge about cyber security, is it really possible that the school's network will be compromised due to students mining activities using the schools internet connection? Will there be any legal charges if the students will get caught? Share me your thoughts.
I think misuse in any case is still wrong, if indeed it is for something positive it might be better permits and in making mining more comfortable and safe
Activity: 1218
Merit: 410
Secure your crypto : https://notyourkeys.org
August 13, 2018, 01:20:57 AM
I will not bring miner to school, its too heavy and produce a lot noises. Imagine you bring antminer s9 or GPU to school everyday Roll Eyes

Will there be any legal charges if the students will get caught? Share me your thoughts.
In my old school, if you caught doing something illegal such as abusing electricity for mining(because it consume too much electricity), they will take your miner and will keep it for 1 month and in bad case it will stay on there until you graduate from that school, idk about charge a money to pay that electricity.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 3845
Paldo.io 🤖
August 13, 2018, 01:18:10 AM
Sure the electricity is "free", but I'm pretty sure if the dorm authorities find about about this I'm pretty sure they're going to prohibit the residents on doing crypto mining. The "free" electricity is there for the basic necessities of the residents(shower heaters, air conditioners, phones, basic computer activities, etc).
Activity: 672
Merit: 12
August 13, 2018, 01:12:28 AM
As per my opinion This creative student compromised following;
1   Diverted his attention from studies to other activities; there by loss to his studies.
2.  Sold his honesty; integrity ; in exchange of electricity.
3.  Caused loss to the institution which was providing all the facilities so that he can get good education.
4.  Compromised his own health; because as stated by him there was very much heat ; to save him from that heat he had to open all the windows ; run all
     the fans etc.
5.  Compromised his mental peace.  Because whenever someone steals something; his mental peace is gone because of the fear of being caught by the
     administration.

Very costly affair.   Not advised to choose this way.
Activity: 332
Merit: 1
August 13, 2018, 12:51:56 AM
https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/08/12/students-are-mining-bitcoin-in-university-dorms-campuses-are-alert/

I don't have much knowledge about cyber security, is it really possible that the school's network will be compromised due to students mining activities using the schools internet connection? Will there be any legal charges if the students will get caught? Share me your thoughts.

Whats creative about stealing electricity?
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
August 12, 2018, 11:50:58 PM
they still have to buy a bitcoin miner, and as a student i wouldn't have wanted to pay $500-$3000 for a miner just because i could have had free electricity and take the risk of mining bitcoin and getting caught. and they are noisy which means you will be producing a lot of noise in the dorm Tongue

why would the "network" be compromised?!!!
it is against the rules of the school to abuse the electricity they are providing for you for free. an explicit rule may even exist in some places that prohibits students from using it for mining cryptocurrencies.
Activity: 420
Merit: 24
August 12, 2018, 06:27:42 PM

Pages:
Jump to: