Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining cryptos by harvesting body heat - page 2. (Read 417 times)

Activity: 3094
Merit: 929
December 27, 2018, 08:36:21 AM
They got that consept after watching the movie "The Matrix"(1999).The machines were using human heat to produce eletricity and maintain the matrix. Grin
In the future,clothes that capture our body heat and produce small amounts of electricity could be invesnted for sure.It won't be enough to mine crypto,but you could charge your smartphone. Grin
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283
December 27, 2018, 08:24:35 AM
It's an interesting proof of concept, but I really don't see this sort of technology coming on the market any time soon.
I mean, have you seen the video in that article? The technology isn't exactly fit for day to day use yet.

Again, interesting article, just not really practical.
Activity: 658
Merit: 851
December 27, 2018, 05:52:38 AM
You Could Mine 1 Bitcoin Per Month If You Harvested the Body Heat from 44,000 People

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vby7ny/bitcoin-body-heat-mining?utm_source=mbfb

"A Dutch organization called the Institute of Human Obsolescence (IoHO) recently took the fantasy of sustainable cryptocurrencies to its extreme by harvesting human body heat to mine a variety of cryptocurrencies.
The IoHO’s idea was to capture some of this excess body heat using wearable arrays of thermoelectric generators. These generators would then convert the body heat to electric energy, which was used to power the computers mining cryptocurrency.
Since 2015, 37 volunteers contributed 212 hours of mining time to generate a total of 127.2 watts of power. Although the volunteers contributed their bodies to the project for different amounts of time, on average the volunteers each contributed about 0.6 watts/hour of energy. Given that the average adult human produces about 80 watts as excess heat, this means that the IoHO was able to effectively harvest less than 1 percent of the body heat generated by its volunteers.
Due to the small amount of energy that the IoHO was able to harvest from the volunteers, the organization mostly dedicated this energy to mining new cryptocurrencies such as Vertcoin and Startcoin since it required less energy to mine a relatively large number of these coins.
Since each human is generating 0.6 watthours of energy with the IoHO, it would take nearly 4,600 people lying still, 24/7 for a year using the IoHO device to produce 1.2 bitcoins. At current Bitcoin prices, each person would receive about $3 for their year-long endeavor.
If you wanted to speed things up and mine 1 bitcoin per month, you’re going to need about 320 people lying still around the clock with a perfectly efficient system. To do 1 bitcoin per month with IoHO’s tech—which in terms of efficiency is on par with most affordable wearable thermoelectric generators available today—you’d need around 44,000 people providing their body energy 24/7."
Pages:
Jump to: