Pages:
Author

Topic: mining on an average pc - page 2. (Read 261 times)

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
June 04, 2021, 02:49:45 PM
Hello everyone.  Recently I thought about the possibility of mining on a personal pc.  What cryptocurrencies does it make sense / profitable to mine on a mid-range pc?  Will it kill the computer?
For mining, you need a 2-core processor and 3 gigabytes of memory (but 4 is better). This configuration is enough to make an Ethereum mining farm.
I assembled a farm on an old motherboard on an Am2 socket with DDR 2 memory because I got it for free. BUT the farm did not work for long, and the components had to be replaced.
Activity: 375
Merit: 15
$CYBERCASH METAVERSE
June 04, 2021, 02:01:59 PM
The power of the PC doesn't matter when it comes to GPU mining because only your GPU power will go to work and CPU mining isn't a good choice for mining unless you have a high end CPU in your PC but you mentioned average PC which means the CPU isn't high end
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
June 04, 2021, 09:55:48 AM
Good video from BBT that goes over getting started mining with your PC. What I would disagree with him is he mentions mining less profitable coins to get yield vs profit. To me it makes more sense to mine what is consistently most profitable for your GPU's and if you want to speculate on other coins, mine to an exchange address and covert it. That way you maximize your profitability and get more yield for your hashrate vs mining less profitable coins directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-bU6xX7wG4

As long as your PC has good ventilation to keep the temperatures reasonable, mining shouldn't affect it's lifespan. The only downside is mining will affect your ability to use the PC for other tasks at the same time, especially GPU intensive tasks.

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
June 04, 2021, 09:36:25 AM
Hello everyone.  Recently I thought about the possibility of mining on a personal pc.  What cryptocurrencies does it make sense / profitable to mine on a mid-range pc?  Will it kill the computer?
Pages:
Jump to: