Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining Profitability ASIC vs GPU - page 2. (Read 1112 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 282
June 15, 2018, 12:43:39 AM
When we are talking about ROI - ASICs vs GPUs, it's usually the case that ASICs will ROI faster than GPUs, which is great.
But the thing that is almost even more important is, how much time do you profit from mining after you ROI!?

This is the problem you never hear anyone talking about. After you spend all those big bucks on those ASICs and you reach ROI, how much profit do you get after, and for how long!? Not very long, right?

As far as i understand, the "post-profit" you are referring to is almost always directly correlated to ROI. Just did some tissue math but if the logic is that if you get ROI faster, then you also have more capital and opportunity to invest more profitable or more efficient hardware.

Feel free to correct me with real numbers and data.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
June 15, 2018, 12:35:05 AM
I notice that people are always talking about ROI. Obviously ROI is a very important thing, but i also think when it comes to mining people tend to focus too much on this.

When we are talking about ROI - ASICs vs GPUs, it's usually the case that ASICs will ROI faster than GPUs, which is great.
But the thing that is almost even more important is, how much time do you profit from mining after you ROI!?

This is the problem you never hear anyone talking about. After you spend all those big bucks on those ASICs and you reach ROI, how much profit do you get after, and for how long!? Not very long, right?

I know some people are still mining with 7970 GPUs that have long since reached ROI, which were released in 2012, and are still profiting today.

So the real question is - which devices profit the most over the whole life cycle of the device, ASIC or GPU. That is the question we should be asking. Not just, how long to ROI.  Wink

Just my two cents.  Grin
Activity: 174
Merit: 7
June 14, 2018, 11:22:28 PM
Great thread, cleaely shows current statistics.
In any way, asic is more profitable but it always depends on many things. Asics can be damaged easily and also it takes a lot of time to sent back to bitmain or their manufacturers, otherwise you have to pay locally in order to get your miner fixed. Gpus work for years pretty well and you are even able to sell them.
In this thread I would say: the more you risk, the more or less profit you get. But the less you risk, the less profit you'll get in any way.
And when did they created miner for z9? oh Bitmain, shit!

Thank you for dropping me a merit sir, There's no any exact date when they created the antminer, but Bitmain has released its all-new product ASIC Antminer Z9 mini, on  May 3,2018, which is to mine Equihash-based cryptocurrencies.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
June 14, 2018, 06:17:33 PM
Well, but not everybody have the same electricity cost as you. And also  The coins you're mining with ASICs may fork to implement ASIC resistance and you may end up in having a big loss as ASICs don't come cheap.
Activity: 2268
Merit: 870
June 14, 2018, 06:11:48 PM
Great thread, cleaely shows current statistics.
In any way, asic is more profitable but it always depends on many things. Asics can be damaged easily and also it takes a lot of time to sent back to bitmain or their manufacturers, otherwise you have to pay locally in order to get your miner fixed. Gpus work for years pretty well and you are even able to sell them.
In this thread I would say: the more you risk, the more or less profit you get. But the less you risk, the less profit you'll get in any way.
And when did they created miner for z9? oh Bitmain, shit!
Activity: 1120
Merit: 263
Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit
June 14, 2018, 05:13:18 PM
Yes, amd vega looks very more nicely than others on payback, however these numbers also inexact and many factors influence it, such as increase of complexity of a mining of coins and interruptions in power supply or at all failure of the video card.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001
www.neutroncoin.com
June 14, 2018, 09:51:00 AM
Asic is a piece of iron. It is expensive, on the secondary market is not in demand. As a rule, it's very dinny and consumes electricity. The profit falls very quickly, only those customers who will receive the first are the winners + problems with the guarantee.

The GPU has fewer problems and can be sold in the secondary market
I agree with you but asics dramatically increase the complexity of the network and make mining GPU unprofitable. You have no choice. I do not agree that all who buy asics in the first batch have time to return their money. I do not believe that anyone will return their $ 10,000 invested in asic even with a capacity of 50 Ksol

I agree, no one will be able to get their ROI. Current profits are not reflect real difficulty in just few weeks later. The people making money is the manufacturers.
Activity: 406
Merit: 255
June 14, 2018, 08:18:44 AM
Asic is a piece of iron. It is expensive, on the secondary market is not in demand. As a rule, it's very dinny and consumes electricity. The profit falls very quickly, only those customers who will receive the first are the winners + problems with the guarantee.

The GPU has fewer problems and can be sold in the secondary market
I agree with you but asics dramatically increase the complexity of the network and make mining GPU unprofitable. You have no choice. I do not agree that all who buy asics in the first batch have time to return their money. I do not believe that anyone will return their $ 10,000 invested in asic even with a capacity of 50 Ksol
Activity: 86
June 14, 2018, 07:31:35 AM
Another point to consider is that you can easily re-sell used GPUs after some time while re-selling ASICs may be harder.
It would be interesting which algorithm you're comparing as GPUs differ in the most profitable algorithm
Activity: 26
Merit: 1
June 14, 2018, 04:34:19 AM
ASICs are definitely made to be run in industrial environments like wharehouses on 240/220V circuits, but that doesn't mean you can't use them at home with structures to reduce noise and proper ventilation, such as with box fans in a garage and possibly ducting in a basement. I personally run S9s in my basement and garage, and they're not loud at all so as long as you're not in the same room with them. Saying that it's difficult to live with ASICs in an average house is a hyperbole (with proper placement of a machine you may not even need anything to keep noise and heat under control) but I do agree that they're not for the average Joe (though arguably, neither is GPU mining in certain instances), and ASICs do result in centralization of hash (e.g Bitmain wih BTC).

how do ASIC centralize the hash more than GPU farms? now that bitcoin ASIC are common and everyone has them.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
June 14, 2018, 03:35:40 AM
ASICs are definitely made to be run in industrial environments like wharehouses on 240/220V circuits, but that doesn't mean you can't use them at home with structures to reduce noise and proper ventilation, such as with box fans in a garage and possibly ducting in a basement. I personally run S9s in my basement and garage, and they're not loud at all so as long as you're not in the same room with them. Saying that it's difficult to live with ASICs in an average house is a hyperbole (with proper placement of a machine you may not even need anything to keep noise and heat under control) but I do agree that they're not for the average Joe (though arguably, neither is GPU mining in certain instances), and ASICs do result in centralization of hash (e.g Bitmain wih BTC).
Activity: 784
Merit: 282
June 14, 2018, 02:55:59 AM
Well, so an ASIC is the future of mining cryptocurrency right? I guess many developers fear that ASICs will lead to the centralization of their cryptocurrencies and undermine their biggest selling point: security. If ASICs make mining inaccessible to most people while concentrating computing power in the hands of a few large mining operations, this arguably makes networks more vulnerable to manipulation or censorship by governments or the companies that own the most ASICs.

I like the way you think and i completely agree that ASICS "undermine their biggest selling point: security."

People will try to tell you that ASICs are not centralized because anyone can buy it isn't thinking logically. ASICs are not built for home used and should only be run in warehouse/factory style environments. You really can't live in a regular house with a machine generating heat and making 70+ dB noise 24/7. ASIC mining is not for everyone and there for is centralized. Do we want coins to be centralized? No.
Activity: 160
Merit: 3
Aku belum mandi Taktuntuang Taktuntuang
June 14, 2018, 12:18:37 AM
Well, so an ASIC is the future of mining cryptocurrency right? I guess many developers fear that ASICs will lead to the centralization of their cryptocurrencies and undermine their biggest selling point: security. If ASICs make mining inaccessible to most people while concentrating computing power in the hands of a few large mining operations, this arguably makes networks more vulnerable to manipulation or censorship by governments or the companies that own the most ASICs.
Activity: 644
Merit: 24
June 13, 2018, 09:44:37 PM
Very interesting indeed. This Bitmain Antminer Z9 Mini is new to me and upon checking it's designed to mine BitcoinGold and I think it's ok as the price is very affordable and the ROI is easy to achieve with the daily profit of $31.22 per day. What do you think guys?

Did you read the entire thread?

Yes currently it would make that much however there are potential talks of some coins forking to different algos like Bitcoin Gold.

There is also another issue where there is a huge supply of these miners and once they start shipping in a few weeks the difficulty will skyrocket.

So its more or less what happened with the Litecoin and the Dash ASIC miners.

LOL >>> I would never buy from a company that tells you what the profitability is.  Those are Z9's anyway ... Bitmain product.  I wouldn't buy from them, but if I were going to buy one, I certainly wouldn't buy one from a scammy reseller  Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 644
Merit: 24
June 13, 2018, 09:39:51 PM
Price of electricity in my country kills mining Smiley. So bad. Smiley Nice post to have some idea about it.

Well you should be learning ta, understanding how fa plays into it, buying btc without going all in, and FORGET about mining.  Do your own research and make your own judgments.  Learn enough that you can make your own plan.  Whatever the hell you do, don't start mining, if you can't afford to hold on for the long term.
Activity: 31
June 13, 2018, 09:33:37 PM
Thought I was lucky at 0.08 but 0.03 is a new low cost electricity record
Activity: 238
Merit: 3
June 13, 2018, 07:58:53 PM
but the electricity cost in my country is low about 0.08-0.09

so my profit maybe is more than other country

personaly  i remind GPUS

The Middle East?

With that electricity cost, I'm sure that was heaven for the miners. In my area, electricity cost almost doubled from yours. But' I can say for sure, I'm still getting good profit with my current electricity cost. I'm using GPUs as my mining equipment (-I'm not saying that GPU is better than ASIC), I had done with ASICs a few years ago (-my last ASIC is Antminer S2) in 2014 I think. I'd like to explore, and Graphic Cards more suitable for my passion.  Cheesy
lol. 1 kW/h costs about $0.03 around here. I'm feeling lucky Smiley
Activity: 1190
Merit: 641
June 13, 2018, 07:37:01 PM
I recently watch a huge number of sales of video cards in the secondary market. The history of 2014 is repeated. Sadly of course. We are waiting for hardforks, otherwise the GPU will be very difficult for miners.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
June 10, 2018, 04:27:47 AM
Very interesting indeed. This Bitmain Antminer Z9 Mini is new to me and upon checking it's designed to mine BitcoinGold and I think it's ok as the price is very affordable and the ROI is easy to achieve with the daily profit of $31.22 per day. What do you think guys?

Did you read the entire thread?

Yes currently it would make that much however there are potential talks of some coins forking to different algos like Bitcoin Gold.

There is also another issue where there is a huge supply of these miners and once they start shipping in a few weeks the difficulty will skyrocket.

So its more or less what happened with the Litecoin and the Dash ASIC miners.
Activity: 174
Merit: 7
June 10, 2018, 04:12:58 AM
Well, but not everybody have the same electricity cost as you. And also, not every ASIC is currently out now.
Btw, the Z9 mini is not available.

The Bitmain Antminer z9 mini is available in 10 stores  take a look at this.
Pages:
Jump to: