Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining project with S7 and solar panels - page 2. (Read 5121 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 19, 2016, 10:35:25 AM
I am planing to start mining with a close friend of mine soon. We are planing to start with 2 antminer S7 and enough solar panels to cover the energy cost. The location we are planing to start our project is in west coast of Turkey where we have a suitable place. It is also nice spot as solar panels are providing good performance. Although we still have some questions regarding timing. I wanted to have some opinions from profesinal miners on this forum. Should we wait for halving before starting this project? Numbers look promising but is there something we are missing? Any advice will be appreciated.

okay here in the usa various states have programs about selling excess power back to the power company.

so the array I am involved with is a 60kwatt array. Forum member  buysolar is a solar contractor he is building on his property.

it is a 60 kwatt array.  We do not use batteries.  We use 20kwatts from the array and sell 40kwatts to the power company.

At the end of the month the power bill = $0

and we mine with free power on a monthly basis.

of course the upfront cost for the array and for the mining gear is a different story.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 19, 2016, 04:21:27 AM
To answer your question, "NO" don't wait for the halving before you guys start mining (in case you already have the 2 S7 at your disposal), since the reward will be lesser and would be better to start right away and collect as much as rewards, you could do prior the halving. However if you still haven't bought the 2 S7, perhaps would be ideal to wait until the halving is done as most likely their prices will go down and better efficient miner come out with better chips.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
February 19, 2016, 02:06:41 AM
Might take a look at Phils thread- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/solar-array-starting-to-look-good-1369207

He is someone who actually is doing a new solar operation with a good partner.   It is a pretty nice looking solar farm in that thread.
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
February 19, 2016, 01:18:48 AM
Here is a good calculator for estimated system output in kWh for US. You may have something similar for your country.

http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

My 10.65 kW rooftop solar system produces anywhere between 18,112 to 19,237 kWh per year. S7 consuming 1400 W will need 12,264 kWh/year, so my system will be able to power 1.5 S7s for free. I wouldn't start a solar farm just for mining reason. As you can see, I have a fairly standard 10.65 kW system that can only power 1.5 S7s. The main reason I installed solar panels is to offset my monthly electric bill.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1268
February 19, 2016, 12:14:57 AM
I am planing to start mining with a close friend of mine soon. We are planing to start with 2 antminer S7 and enough solar panels to cover the energy cost. The location we are planing to start our project is in west coast of Turkey where we have a suitable place. It is also nice spot as solar panels are providing good performance. Although we still have some questions regarding timing. I wanted to have some opinions from profesinal miners on this forum. Should we wait for halving before starting this project? Numbers look promising but is there something we are missing? Any advice will be appreciated.
Pages:
Jump to: