Pages:
Author

Topic: mining rig keeps dying. Too hot? - page 2. (Read 1145 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011
July 28, 2017, 07:22:11 PM
On your problem rig, yes go ahead and start removing the cards as it is either heat as you suspect, or possibly one of the cards is acting up.

You could start by removing two cards and, if you can, adjusting the spacing between the remaining ones and let it run for 24 hours or so and see if that was the issue. If that doesn't solve it, then continue to swap out the cards until you can narrow it down to either a card, or if they all have been swapped and the trouble remains, the system.

Another common thing is to remove and re-install the drivers, which I could not tell from your post if you tried this already. I assume you did since you suspect the problem is heat related, but if not it could be easier to try just to rule it out.
Activity: 298
Merit: 100
July 28, 2017, 07:08:14 PM
Whats the temps on the 2nd rig i only see temps for the 1st rig.

now when you say the system dies? what happens? stutters? freezes? cant use it at all and a forced restart is needed?

i have a buddy running the same cards, i suggest: Core 0, Mem 400 (Samsung), sorry to say he isnt able to push his cards over that, the system just crashes.. Run these settings to get stability first then experiment.
you can also start removing cards 1 by 1 and pushing each card individually.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
July 28, 2017, 06:33:21 PM
I just got into this last month. Hope this is the right place to post this.

here's my setup:

Custom-built case 30" x 18" x 12"

rig 1
8 PNY GTX 1060 3 GB    MPN:   VCGGTX10603PB
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151
Windows 10
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 powering five cards and the risers, motherboard and SSD
EVGA 850 BQ just powering three of the cards

rig 2
8 PNY GTX 1060 3 GB    MPN:   VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB  XLR8 Edition
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151
Windows 10
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 powering five cards and the risers, motherboard and SSD
EVGA 850 BQ just powering three of the cards

I have the same setup on two rigs.. Except different version cards. on rig 1, I was able to take the power limit down to 68, core clock 46, memory clock 456, fan speed is 45. It is running at mid-60s Celsius. no problems.. I do have it in a larger room..

Rig 2. I have this in a smaller room. I have eight cards working, but it keeps shutting off. I am unable to take the power limit down. These are fancier cards with backplate. I have fans running on them. I also have the window open.. Trying to blow the air out the window. Trying everything and I can't get this to stay stable.

It's 80° in the small room. My air conditioner is in the main room where the other rig is at. I was hoping to put both rigs in the smaller room.  It is getting plenty of airflow around the cards.

Would Linux be better?
should I start pulling cards off one at a time to see if it is stable then?

I ordered an air conditioner for small rooms. Will that help?

It is supposed to be mid-90s here all week and who knows what about August or beyond. Thanks for any help. I used to watch gold rush on discovery and now I know why those guys get so antsy when their mining rigs are not working.

Pages:
Jump to: