Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining rig running too hot - page 2. (Read 3843 times)

Activity: 447
Merit: 250
December 27, 2013, 10:35:26 AM
Get rid of the case.   My GPU miners are sitting on a shelf. 

As the post above me stated, lower your voltages.

Pics would help a lot so we can see what you are physically dealing with.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
December 27, 2013, 10:31:19 AM
You can try to cut your voltage by a small margin and still be stable. This should lower your temps. You can also try to change TIM on your graphic cards for better heat transfer to your cooler though I think that your temps aren't all that high.
I would just decrease power limit to a point where I'm satisfied with temp and performance.
Activity: 28
December 27, 2013, 10:18:09 AM
To be absolutely honest, I don't think that's high...

I have friends mining litecoins on various GPU's and most of them report sustained temps of 80+ (but below 90)

Personally I invested in water-cooling a year or so ago, even when mining BTC (just to generate some heat for testing) I never hit above 35c, id advise this if you're hugely bothered about the temps you're seeing.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hodl!
December 27, 2013, 09:57:41 AM
Judging by the look of the cards and the lack of shrouding, they don't really shove heat out of the grille on the backplate and just churn it round back into the fans...

I would experiment with tape and cardboard ducting such that either the fans pull in external air directly and have no possibility of "breathing" case air, or that heat off the sinks goes right out of the case.

One other thing to try is to have all your fans as intakes, and remove the slot cover on the next slot on the fan side, and that MAY shove all the heat out of the grille and next slot.
Activity: 16
December 27, 2013, 09:26:32 AM
Show photo...
Activity: 12
December 27, 2013, 09:00:27 AM
Lob it in mineral oil  Grin

Great username by the way.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
December 27, 2013, 08:56:33 AM

Hey,

I'm new to mining and I thought I'd try out building a mining rig. Everything works fine except my GPUs are running way too hot (I'm mining scrypt btw, not sha-256).

I've got 2x R9 280x Battlefield 4 Edition.
I've got them both overclocked with the following settings and they both run at 730.
--lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 8192,8192 --gpu-engine 1060,1060 --gpu-memclock 1500,1500 --auto-fan --temp-cutoff=90 --temp-over 85

First GPU: 85 ° Celsius
Second GPU: 78° Celsius

There is space between them and I could fit another one in.
I've got them both in a case and I tried various setups. All in all I've got 7 Fans + the 6 from the gpu itself.
no matter how I change the setup (case lying down, standing, fans blowing in different ways), the temp always stay the same
Even with following setup the temp won't decrease:
front sucking in
top sucking in
back blowing out
4x side blowing in

They all run on 100% but nothing changes. If the room has 5 or 25° degrees only changes the temperature about 5° overall. What am I doing wrong? I feel like those temps are way to high. No risers at the moment, will they do any significant change? I'm planning on putting another one in but then there is no space left between the 2 gpus.
Pages:
Jump to: