Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining Rig Setup -- Problem with OEM Windows 10 Pro I bought off ebay - page 2. (Read 230 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 105
Why do you need activate windows?

No problem for mining if you dont activate
Activity: 56
Merit: 2
if you are going to go with mining only
i will suggest to go with linux
if you are mining with nvidia try nvoc linux distro
if you are mining with amd try smos and ethos

So should I download this dist?

https://nvoc-mining-os.com/downloads/download-page-nvidea/
Activity: 1498
Merit: 597
contact the seller ... ebay have a buy back policy Smiley
of course if you installed that windows and activated that product code , Microsoft can see your IP Smiley
Activity: 585
Merit: 110
if you are going to go with mining only
i will suggest to go with linux
if you are mining with nvidia try nvoc linux distro
if you are mining with amd try smos and ethos
Activity: 56
Merit: 2
Installed it and says the activation key has already been used.  Thing is I looked at seller feedback and there was tons of recent happy customers of this Windows 10 Professional.  I paid $47 for it.

Now I am worried the DVD I got perhaps might not even be legit.

Downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft and going to make USB thumb drive and reinstall windows from a copy I know is safe.  Then I'll use the product key they provided me.  If it fails again I'll call Microsoft to see if they can activate it.

Should I just go with linux install instead?  Can I mine all the top stuff listed on WhatToMine.com with linux install or is windows better?

Also what about simple mining os or the like?

Don't know what to do, got four $525 1070 ti's coming in the mail today and need to get this up and running.  Got a little over 3 grand in this rig so far with 4 cards.

ANother option is I could pay $119 and download Windows 10 home from Microsoft and make thumb drive with that.
But I figured pro was better so that's why I got it off ebay for $47.. (e.g. remote desktop .. in case I get multiple rigs later).

EDIT: Thinking more about linux.. wouldn't the drivers for the 1070 ti be better right now on WIndows? It's a relatively new card and well I am sure Nvidia makes the drivers for WIndows first since they are purchased for gaming PC's.
Pages:
Jump to: